DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Unpopular opinions

Loki
Posted (edited)

I can't stand Bob Dylan, the way he sings really pisses me off and I want to shove that harmonica up his harris.

This post bought to you by the painter's choice of playlist.

What do you find inexplicable that people would listen to?  Post here, and if I don't agree, I'll explain why you're wrong:Jumping:

Edited by Loki
  • Agree 9
One percent
12 minutes ago, Loki said:

I can't stand Bob Dylan, the way he sings really pisses me off and I want to shove that harmonica up his harris.

What do you find inexplicable that people would listen to?  Post here, and if I don't agree, I'll explain why you're wrong:Jumping:

Agree. For me it has to be billy bragg. Working class hero turned into nimby, middle class scum. 

oh and don’t get me started on Geldoph. Fucking odious little cretin. 

• Agree 8
  • Lol 1
ninjaborrower

I never got ska music, i think its merging two crappy bits of white and black culture and making the worst shit sandwich in the history off music , apart from jazz

• Agree 2
Loki
2 minutes ago, ninjaborrower said:

I never got ska music, i think its merging two crappy bits of white and black culture and making the worst shit sandwich in the history off music , apart from jazz

Doesn't do much for me, I can't imagine sitting down and listening to a ska track, but at least it's high energy and it doesn't piss me off like Dylan xD

• Agree 1
spunko
Posted (edited)

I really like Weyes Blood. Contemporary pop music I cannot get excited over mostly but there's something about this that is different. I'd describe her as a mix between Kate Bush and Bon Iver. 

Ignore the fact she's a 20 something American and (probably) awfully woke.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RFtRq6t3jOo

Edited by spunko
  • Agree 1
Bobthebuilder

Love or hate Bob Dylan his output has been amazing. One of the best songwriters ever IMO.

I love a story about him when he was in London in the early 1960s winter time. He stayed at someone's flat, they went out for the day and on return found Bob had smashed up his piano to burn it in the fire to keep warm. I like the cut of his jib.

• Informative 1
Frank Hovis

Great singers.

I like the vocals to be part of the band in the same way that the bass or guitar is; just another instrument.

New Order, REM or The Cure would be good examples of the vocals being in the mix.

Anything like the X Factor where it's a virtuoso singer with a backing band leaves me absolutely cold.

SpectrumFX
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

The Beatles are over-rated.

I actually think that they're underrated. Particularly Paul, who's far better than most people realise.

Howard Goodall has the measure of them.

Edited by SpectrumFX
  • Agree 3
Virgil Caine
2 hours ago, SpectrumFX said:

I actually think that they're underrated. Particularly Paul, who's far better than most people realise.

Many Beatles songs are not easy to cover and most artists who attempt it struggle to do them well. In that respect they are not likely to become “standards” like the best Tin Pan Alley stuff. The fact they had so many hits with things that can not be easily hummed or whistled makes them unusual in the popular music world. They are in some ways a unique group who have inspired lots of other artists yet whose sound has never really been fully replicated. 

Virgil Caine
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Great singers.

I like the vocals to be part of the band in the same way that the bass or guitar is; just another instrument.

New Order, REM or The Cure would be good examples of the vocals being in the mix.

Anything like the X Factor where it's a virtuoso singer with a backing band leaves me absolutely cold.

One of my pet hates too Frank

In my opinion if the singers vocal performance  takes precedence  over the song they cannot be classed as great no matter how strong their voice. The X Factor was a prime example of a show where good songs were murdered by people whose ego came before the interpretation of the lyric. It is worth noting that many of the famous standards in the Great American song book were actually written for performers like Fred Astaire who was primarily renowned as a dancer. Song writers liked Astaire even though he did not have a strong voice simply because - “he sang the songs the way they wrote them”. 

Edited by Virgil Caine
  • Informative 2
Bus Stop Boxer
15 hours ago, SpectrumFX said:

I never thought much of McCartney til i heard RAM. Which he recorded with his missus. So on paper not looking good.

However its a top, sort of lost album.

crashmonitor
21 hours ago, SpectrumFX said:

Second to none in their output of brilliant original melodies which have become increasingly rare as the decades have passed by. No great composers now, absolutely none. They were lucky to be at the start of modern pop output before all the possible melody combinations got exhausted. We had a I hate John Lennon sesh on here. As a big fan of his compositions I had to stay shtum.:ph34r:

Edited by crashmonitor

My opinion of the Beatles wasn't that they were "no good", but I grew up in an age where I had heard all their tunes, all the time, and therefore didn't buy any of the records.

Edited by MrPin
  • Informative 1
Stinky Wizzleteats
On 01/05/2021 at 20:10, One percent said:

Agree. For me it has to be billy bragg. Working class hero turned into nimby, middle class scum.  

Can't stand Billy Bragg, but possibly worse is his latter-day comparison Frank Turner. Tuneless shouty shite

• Cheers 1
One percent
11 minutes ago, Stinky Wizzleteats said:

Can't stand Billy Bragg, but possibly worse is his latter-day comparison Frank Turner. Tuneless shouty shite

I call him the shouty man when my kids listen to it. xD

• Cheers 1
On 01/05/2021 at 19:56, Loki said:

Bob Dylan is God's way of telling us that we can all be great singers.

• Agree 1
MrPin
9 hours ago, dgul said:

Bob Dylan is God's way of telling us that we can all be great singers.

He wasn't a great singer, and I am not a great fan, although he did produce some good words.