• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

Buckfast

17 minutes ago, spygirl said:

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/av4z84/hanging-out-with-vomiting-scots-and-booze-pedaling-monks?utm_campaign=global

'It's brewed by monks but it's turning Glasgow into a psychopath's playground.'

Turning????

Never heard of it before. I tried some Chartreuse once, also brewed by monks, and that was fucking vile.

16 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Never heard of it before. I tried some Chartreuse once, also brewed by monks, and that was fucking vile.

The sexually frustrated should never be put in charge of alcohol production.

Just now, Long time lurking said:

I can see the point about caffeine and alcohol ,just look at what red bull and vodka dose 

The only people I know who drink that are getting a bit old so can't handle the volume of pints and run the risk of dozing off if they drink.  They're not remotely lairy.

2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

The only people I know who drink that are getting a bit old so can't handle the volume of pints and run the risk of dozing off if they drink.  They're not remotely lairy.

But it wakes them up ,i have always been of the opinion red bull/caffeine and alcohol is no different to speed and alcohol as in it just enables you to drink more ...which then leads to other problems for some

41 minutes ago, spygirl said:

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/av4z84/hanging-out-with-vomiting-scots-and-booze-pedaling-monks?utm_campaign=global

'It's brewed by monks but it's turning Glasgow into a psychopath's playground.'

Turning????

Turning?????

It's been about for 30 years. A guy who hung about in the same group as me got jailed at 17 for murdering somebody while steaming on Buckie in 1995.

Buckfast is a staple for thousands of males in west Scotland lol

I'm glad I quit drinking and I have absolutely no intention of ever drinking again, but I do regret not trying Buckie. I reckon it would have been right up my street.

I went through a phase of drinking it.

I'd sometimes pick up a bottle on the way home from work, and drink it in the street as I walked home.

If you're knackered, and want to get pissed, then it'll get you there.

29 minutes ago, Rave said:

I'm glad I quit drinking and I have absolutely no intention of ever drinking again, but I do regret not trying Buckie. I reckon it would have been right up my street.

Surely just one won't do you any harm.

1 hour ago, choochoo said:

Turning?????

It's been about for 30 years. A guy who hung about in the same group as me got jailed at 17 for murdering somebody while steaming on Buckie in 1995.

Buckfast is a staple for thousands of males in west Scotland lol

.... and Corby. 

Never tried it, what's it taste like?

It can't be worse than that 'Aftershock' shite that grotty clubs used to punt when I used to cut about clubs like a brylcreemed wanker. That stuff was absolutely fucking gopping, it tasted and looked like it had oozed out of an industrial pipe in Chernobyl. 

I've also got quite a few mates who are partial to getting the 'Jaegerbombs' in after a certain time of night. I'm pretty sure I've killed off quite a few pot-plants with those.

I used to drink it quite often, it's good stuff- goes down easily, stays down, isn't too expensive, keeps you awake and has a certain cachet.

Two bottles is far too much though, don't ever drink two bottles in a sitting, ever.

3 hours ago, Malthus said:

It's known as Lurgan Champagne in Northern Ireland 

Drink of choice for a lot of young 

I invented a cocktail which I called Chamfast, guess what it contained....

It was a waste of the ingredients but worth trying, if only for the amusement of the juxtaposition.

9 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

I invented a cocktail which I called Chamfast, guess what it contained....

It was a waste of the ingredients but worth trying, if only for the amusement of the juxtaposition.

Babycham and slimfast ????? 

Polish friend and I were talking about drink and he mentioned some super strong wine they have over there which all the tramps drink, so we got on to the subject of "tramp juice" and I was telling him they always used to drink Buckfast over here. We had a sweepstake at work and he won, the first prize was a bottle of drink of his choice, he picked Buckfast.

Couldn't find it anywhere locally, much to my surprise and ended up having to visit the abbey itself to get one for him (I was in the area). 

As an aside, it's interesting how the drink of choice for chavs varies by country and region. To the extent that we have them in Toronto - alcohol sales here are very tightly regulated - the go to seems to be Canadian sherry. I bought a bottle to make trifle with once and it was like paint stripper but the price per unit of alcohol is as cheap as it gets.

34 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

As an aside, it's interesting how the drink of choice for chavs varies by country and region. To the extent that we have them in Toronto - alcohol sales here are very tightly regulated - the go to seems to be Canadian sherry. I bought a bottle to make trifle with once and it was like paint stripper but the price per unit of alcohol is as cheap as it gets.

That's OK then. Cider is the drink down here. Big jars of it are very good value. I have never tried Buckfast.