DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Food price inflation (and other goods)

JFK

So I've been keeping an eye on the weekly shop and the prices of a few standard kitchen items, I've been noticing the shopping has started costing more, we've not been buying anything drastically different, just the normal things any household would.

Since just before Christmas and up to now I've started noticing the shopping going up by £20 here and there for the weekly shop.  By my reckoning I'm seeing high single digit inflation.  We all have commented on food ingredients appearing cheaper / thinner and poorer quality ingredients, shrinkflation as well.

Other posters have commented on raw material goods inflation and I know from listening to some youtube content creators they are witnessing raw material inflation (lumber especially).

So, the time of reckoning is approaching? This bought of inflation is probably from the initial splurge of money printing 12 months ago and we're only going to witness more and more due to the money printy go brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Observations from others?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A relative recently built a new shed and commented on how the timber prices had gone up.

Local take aways have all put prices up, some are fairly big increases. Quality is crap for all our local places, I think they all now buy in from wholesalers based on price. Tried a chinese place in town that for some reason we have never tried before, seemed expensive, chicken was that pre cooked stuff and the sauces had that gloopy wall paper paste look.

Can't comment on food prices as my assistant does the shopping and she never takes any notice what so ever of prices.

I'm sure years ago on TOS there used to be a website that everyone used that tracked UK prices?

There must be a website somewhere that has historical prices.

camelcamelcamel for anything on amazon.

I've been noticing the price increases for a while now.  They don't go up by a couple of pence.  Some things have gone up 50%.

local chippy prices have gone up, I'll check again on Friday as friday night is chippy night, been noticing a steady 20p odd rise frequently.

Bobthebuilder

Not food and not a necessity but model railway stuff is starting to go mental. Nothing much on ebay, retailers low on stock, Chinese made new pre-orders up at least 20%. Basic plastic based modelling building materials I am starting to see 150%.

Just had a look in the kitchen drawer and found some take away menus.

Chinese, new menu vs 1 year old prices:

1/4 duck - £8 now £8.50

Kin prawn with mushrooms - £5.50 now £5.80

Egg fried rice - £3 now £3.20

So around 5% increase over a year, higher than RPI and around where I would expect.

Thai, new menu and new owners vs prices 3 months ago. Quality is now shit as well.

Phad Thai - £4.95 now £6.50

Queen set meal - £14.00 now £17.50

Steamed rice - £1.80 now £2.50

Around 25% increase in prices and a big decrease in quality. I'm sure they had used cows milk in the green curry rather than coconut milk and I reckon the spices had been cut back on as the flavours were not the same.

This is a place we have been using for over 15 years. It's not even in our town, I used to take a 20 minutes drive to the next town as the local places are crap.

It used to be a once a month treat, on the basis of a tasty meal (sometimes a take away is on the basis of being too lazy/tired to cook). I'll never be going there again.

Thankfully I've picked up a few good cooking tips on here recently and more effort is going into home cooked.

Loads of price increases, some comment on wholesale plastics rising, one type by 50%, that was a few weeks ago. Still shortages of some building materials, other stuff seems to be made to order. Timber buildings, pricing changed (upwards) multiple times form multiple suppliers already this spring.

Reckon it really is going to be different this time in terms of inflation, some people will not know what has hit them.

One percent
6 minutes ago, invalid said:

1/4 duck - £8 now £8.50

So around 5% increase over a year, higher than RPI and around where I would expect.

Thai, new menu and new owners vs prices 3 months ago. Quality is now shit as well.

Around 25% increase in prices and a big decrease in quality. I'm sure they had used cows milk in the green curry rather than coconut milk and I reckon the spices had been cut back on as the flavours were not the same.

This is a place we have been using for over 15 years. It's not even in our town, I used to take a 20 minutes drive to the next town as the local places are crap.

It used to be a once a month treat, on the basis of a tasty meal (sometimes a take away is on the basis of being too lazy/tired to cook). I'll never be going there again.

Thankfully I've picked up a few good cooking tips on here recently and more effort is going into home cooked.

No. I would argue strongly that RPI figures are at best manipulated, at worst made up bollox. 

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

No. I would argue strongly that RPI figures are at best manipulated, at worst made up bollox. 

Yes, that's what I meant - that prices are going up more than RPI because RPI is lower than reality. Around 5% over the last year is my gut feeling for real inflation. I know many will say higher.

It's the next 12 months that are going to be interesting.

11 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Loads of price increases, some comment on wholesale plastics rising, one type by 50%, that was a few weeks ago. Still shortages of some building materials, other stuff seems to be made to order. Timber buildings, pricing changed (upwards) multiple times form multiple suppliers already this spring.

Reckon it really is going to be different this time in terms of inflation, some people will not know what has hit them.

Factor in the lag for the increases in raw materials to feed through and I reckon we will start seeing front page news about inflation in the next few months.

UK lamb prices:

https://ahdb.org.uk/gb-deadweight-sheep-prices

For some reason I can't get a screenshot of the graph from that website to post.

One percent
5 minutes ago, invalid said:

Factor in the lag for the increases in raw materials to feed through and I reckon we will start seeing front page news about inflation in the next few months.

UK lamb prices:

https://ahdb.org.uk/gb-deadweight-sheep-prices

For some reason I can't get a screenshot of the graph from that website to post.

Nah, they will just massage the figures even more. Gotta keep a lid on wages, especially with the new shortage of imported labour as they have all fucked off home 

King Penda
34 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Not food and not a necessity but model railway stuff is starting to go mental. Nothing much on ebay, retailers low on stock, Chinese made new pre-orders up at least 20%. Basic plastic based modelling building materials I am starting to see 150%.

This is for sale about 8 miles away 60 quid

810700BD-7B03-4255-AD79-CEF6484C37CA.png

14ADD28E-4D8C-4736-AE9B-0E1E824084A4.png

King Penda
2 minutes ago, PrincessDrac said:

B&M

Fry Bentos Pies.

Was £1 six months ago. Today £1.39.

Yes they have shot up I’ve got about 10 in my stash

Bobthebuilder
14 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

This is for sale about 8 miles away 60 quid

810700BD-7B03-4255-AD79-CEF6484C37CA.png

14ADD28E-4D8C-4736-AE9B-0E1E824084A4.png

Well that's inflation as its only half a layout.

6 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Yes they have shot up I’ve got about 10 in my stash

I recall talk a while back about buying food as hedge against inflation, seems your pies were a good choice and have returned 39% tax free.

King Penda
6 minutes ago, invalid said:

I recall talk a while back about buying food as hedge against inflation, seems your pies were a good choice and have returned 39% tax free.

Yes I had quite a stash but it’s been eroded a bit needed more room has well for crisps a chocolate.logically alcohol will increase in price and takes up less room and does not go off.ps crass a bit more track

A56A2F1D-7640-4EAA-9C45-49EA1B757797.png

Bobthebuilder
3 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

Yes I had quite a stash but it’s been eroded a bit needed more room has well for crisps a chocolate.logically alcohol will increase in price and takes up less room and does not go off.ps crass a bit more track

A56A2F1D-7640-4EAA-9C45-49EA1B757797.png

If you broke that down probably loads more as individual parts on ebay. The points are probably £7 a pop. Trees fetch good money.

King Penda
9 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

If you broke that down probably loads more as individual parts on ebay. The points are probably £7 a pop. Trees fetch good money.

I’m looking for stuff to buy a sell but no idea what’s worth messing about with so which gauge is the one to dabble in 

Bobthebuilder
8 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

I’m looking for stuff to buy a sell but no idea what’s worth messing about with so which gauge is the one to dabble in 

The best money is in EM gauge. Lots of rich retired blokes who pay someone else to make the stuff they want. N gauge is good, 00 gauge is by far the most popular probably 90%.

22 hours ago, invalid said:

1/4 duck - £8 now £8.50

Interesting observations and I'm not surprised, food inflation hitting 5% - and that's with thinning out of ingredients, lower quality ingredients, shrinkflation.

Once that's gone and you can't go any further, it's only the increase in prices you can go, slowly crank the price up every week ....

Money printer go brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr don't worry about inflation.

The current US money supply: 60% of the total dollars has been printed during the boomer coof wuflu scaredemic.  Just let that sink in.

12 hours ago, JFK said:

Interesting observations and I'm not surprised, food inflation hitting 5% - and that's with thinning out of ingredients, lower quality ingredients, shrinkflation.

Once that's gone and you can't go any further, it's only the increase in prices you can go, slowly crank the price up every week ....

The thing I find surprising is that despite the prices increases and decrease in quality these places seem as busy as ever. The impression I'm getting is that a lot of people have spare cash - holidays cancelled, travel costs gone after working from home, free government cash. When people have spare cash they will tolerate higher prices.

Fundamentally it just can't last, boom this year, bust next would be my guess at the moment. I just can't see how massive drops in the productive economy and massive drops in efficiency can lead to anything other than a reduction in wealth.

Fuel prices will be difficult for them to hide from the inflation figures. Having said that I would not be surprised if they introduced a 'temporary adjustment' on account of the increase in WFH meaning fuel prices should have a lower weighting.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9547809/Drivers-hit-fuel-price-hikes-theres-no-relief-sight.html

Motorists get hit by fuel price hikes for six months in a row... and there's no relief in sight, RAC warns

• Average prices reached 127.19p per litre for petrol and 129.73p for diesel in April
  • Costs soared since December from 114.5p a litre for petrol and 118p for diesel

Actually I just bought some incredibly cheap brake discs and pads....from Germany, delivery didn't have to cross any water :P

Not a totally shit car either, BM mini.......we're talking 10 yuros a disc, haven't seen prices that cheap for donkies years....might indicate decline in driving habits

Second hand bike prices are bonkers though and decathlon sell out of new stock quickly....apparently their Tribans are made in India now.....there are plenty of the fookers so can't understand the supply shortage xD

Archived