DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Food price inflation (and other goods)

JFK

Straingone
On 04/05/2021 at 20:10, One percent said:

Nah, they will just massage the figures even more. Gotta keep a lid on wages, especially with the new shortage of imported labour as they have all fucked off home 

It's alright the government crack team of statisticians are on it.

ukrpimay2021.jpg

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One percent
4 minutes ago, Straingone said:

ukrpimay2021.jpg

They take us for fools whilst impoverishing us all. 

4 hours ago, invalid said:

The thing I find surprising is that despite the prices increases and decrease in quality these places seem as busy as ever. The impression I'm getting is that a lot of people have spare cash - holidays cancelled, travel costs gone after working from home, free government cash. When people have spare cash they will tolerate higher prices.

Fundamentally it just can't last, boom this year, bust next would be my guess at the moment. I just can't see how massive drops in the productive economy and massive drops in efficiency can lead to anything other than a reduction in wealth.

Fuel prices will be difficult for them to hide from the inflation figures. Having said that I would not be surprised if they introduced a 'temporary adjustment' on account of the increase in WFH meaning fuel prices should have a lower weighting.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9547809/Drivers-hit-fuel-price-hikes-theres-no-relief-sight.html

Motorists get hit by fuel price hikes for six months in a row... and there's no relief in sight, RAC warns

• Average prices reached 127.19p per litre for petrol and 129.73p for diesel in April
  • Costs soared since December from 114.5p a litre for petrol and 118p for diesel

It's the stimmy cheques - money printer go Brrrrrr disguising it all.  People being paid on furlough until at least September, more welfare, more money printing - people don't really care if they're being subsidised.
But it can't all last forever and it's just plate spinning until the inevitable end game of more and more inflation, tax increases led by America and unemployment.

Fuel price increases are probably cushioned from most people's obvservations due to WFH and the move to a lot of people splitting their week up to WFH say 50% of the working week.   Wonder how this has affected the delivery companies - but that'll be more than compensated by the volume of orders and paying delivery drivers shit wages and piling on the volume of work too.

4 hours ago, nirvana said:

Actually I just bought some incredibly cheap brake discs and pads....from Germany, delivery didn't have to cross any water :P

Not a totally shit car either, BM mini.......we're talking 10 yuros a disc, haven't seen prices that cheap for donkies years....might indicate decline in driving habits

Second hand bike prices are bonkers though and decathlon sell out of new stock quickly....apparently their Tribans are made in India now.....there are plenty of the fookers so can't understand the supply shortage xD

Popped into decathlon few weeks ago when they just re-opened to customers, the bike section was absolutely chocker, lot of stock being shifted.

12 minutes ago, Straingone said:

ukrpimay2021.jpg

How's tractor production going?????

... absolutely farcial isn't it? Total disconnection and lies

Don Coglione
4 hours ago, nirvana said:

Actually I just bought some incredibly cheap brake discs and pads....from Germany, delivery didn't have to cross any water :P

Not a totally shit car either, BM mini.......we're talking 10 yuros a disc, haven't seen prices that cheap for donkies years....might indicate decline in driving habits

Second hand bike prices are bonkers though and decathlon sell out of new stock quickly....apparently their Tribans are made in India now.....there are plenty of the fookers so can't understand the supply shortage xD

10 Euros for a car brake disc? I doubt you could buy the raw materials for that!

2 minutes ago, Knickerless Turgid said:

10 Euros for a car brake disc? I doubt you could buy the raw materials for that!

I know weird or what must have an excess of stock.....German origin so they must be TUV approved

I bought 6 bananas earlier for less than a yuro too........sorry @swiss_democracy_for_allbroken the banana diet, weather shite so I'm bored :P

Muller yoghurts 6 pack at Tesco. Was £2,  now £2.25.

Other stuff appear to have gone up I now have no issues getting up to Tesco's £25 minimum spend threshold for my weekly click and collect shopping. 

Don Coglione
1 hour ago, nirvana said:

I know weird or what must have an excess of stock.....German origin so they must be TUV approved

I bought 6 bananas earlier for less than a yuro too........sorry @swiss_democracy_for_allbroken the banana diet, weather shite so I'm bored :P

Of German origin or "of German origin"? I know of one German manufacturing company that outsourced production to India and shipped the "semi-finished" product back home for finishing - which amounted to polishing!

9 hours ago, UmBongo said:

Muller yoghurts 6 pack at Tesco. Was £2,  now £2.25.

Other stuff appear to have gone up I now have no issues getting up to Tesco's £25 minimum spend threshold for my weekly click and collect shopping. 

Yup, everything is going up by not 10p, but 20p , that's high singles/10-odd percent food inflation I'm witnessing.

What can possibly go wrong eh

Do you not think that an increase in supermarkets pricing is due to the current trend in home deliveries?

How can you get your groceries  picked and delivered for just a few pounds?

It must take an operative at least half hour to pick thirty items, minimum wage , holiday pay ,national insurance at least £10.00. This is before the delivery driver plus van delivery costs!

Think us who are shopping in-store are now paying a primum for those lazy internet folks.

Wight Flight
1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

Do you not think that an increase in supermarkets pricing is due to the current trend in home deliveries?

It must take an operative at least half hour to pick thirty items, minimum wage , holiday pay ,national insurance at least £10.00. This is before the delivery driver plus van delivery costs!

Think us who are shopping in-store are now paying a primum for those lazy internet folks.

Yes. And we thank you.

But don't think it is all a garden of roses. It can take a good 20 minutes, sat in front of the TV with a glass of wine in hand, to complete that online shop.

Lightscribe

How about a list of things that are just too cheap and must be in line for the biggest increase percentage going forwards with inflation. Here’s my list of prime value brand candidates.

1. chicken - 1.2kg drumsticks - £1.42

2. tinned tomatoes/passata - 32p

3. pasta - 20p

4. milk - 4 pints - £1

5. bread - 35p

I expect these to double or even triple in the next year or so.

8 hours ago, Bilbo said:

It costs me £1.50 to collect my shopping or £4 to have it delivered. I think you are right that extra is added onto to pay for the extra staffing and van expenses. Still a price worth paying to not have to enter a supermarket. 

Wight Flight
18 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

It costs me £1.50 to collect my shopping or £4 to have it delivered. I think you are right that extra is added onto to pay for the extra staffing and van expenses. Still a price worth paying to not have to enter a supermarket. 

Mine is about £1.70 per delivery.

Superb value.

Sasquatch

My mum was taking to an old friend the other day (livestock farmer in Wales). He is selling lambs this year for £185. They were £120 last year and £80 to £90 the year before that. Recent beef calf sales at £1,800 head compared to £1,200 previously.

Big percentage differences....

Castlevania
2 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

My mum was taking to an old friend the other day (livestock farmer in Wales). He is selling lambs this year for £185. They were £120 last year and £80 to £90 the year before that. Recent beef calf sales at £1,800 head compared to £1,200 previously.

I bet you the farmer spent most of the time complaining about his input costs rocketing. 

17 hours ago, Bilbo said:

We had been doing the whole click+collect thing through the winter, and as well as the constant "We don't have this... would you like this more expensive/smaller thing instead" (when you go in to store, there are pallets of the thing you wanted!), also a steady increase in the bills. We have now switched back to the good old shopping around, Lidl, Aldi, Home Bargains etc back on the menu.

desertorchid

Just a thought:

For almost anyone under 60 a living experience of proper inflation is non existent.

Can you imagine if the ball started rolling how todays generation would supercharge it through social media, tweets, etc etc. Think COVID/ BITCOIN but with real/ huge impact on everyones lives. 

2 hours ago, desertorchid said:

Just a thought:

For almost anyone under 60 a living experience of proper inflation is non existent.

Can you imagine if the ball started rolling how todays generation would supercharge it through social media, tweets, etc etc. Think COVID/ BITCOIN but with real/ huge impact on everyones lives. 

I remember inflation from the 70's - just - and remember the lights going out, candles for heating rooms, etc.  I cannot imagine the complete lack of ability of 50% of people to deal with it if it happens again.  There will be serious mental breakdowns and violence all over the shop as people that have never had to budget or save run up against 'CREDIT DECLINED' and they have no foodstores in the cupboard.

Me, tomorrow I am getting the kids to go through all the canned food and fruit and date sort if before we top up again into 2022.  

Stinky Wizzleteats

All the MSM would be full of pictures of fat single mums with four kids making a sad face in front of an empty cupboard. There would be many cries of "why doesn't somebody dO SoMeThInG?". And the money would start flying. Because no one is allowed to experience hardship nowadays.

Chewing Grass

Mate at work has just been revising the charge-out rates for 21/22 as part of a 10-year contract signed three years ago, rates are adjusted by Septembers inflation figures from the BofE so this year it was 0.6% so there will be effectively no wages rises this year.

If folk need more money their only option is to jump ship if they can.

Frank Hovis
9 hours ago, desertorchid said:

Just a thought:

I absolutely agree.

You only really experience inflation if you are an adult making all of those adult purchases - utilities, food, fuel, new car.

You'd have to have been 20 or so when inflation was last really high - 1981 - so born in 1961 and now 60.

image.thumb.png.9cf2e005287cdd54117c7ad01df006b7.png

I certainly haven't experienced it.  I watch Top Gears from 1997 and the second hand car prices are similar to today.

Just as a thought exercise my fuel cost when I was commuting, 2020, was about £2,500 per year.

If inflation was kicking around 15% as it was through the 1970s that £2,500 would be £2,875 the next year and will have risen to £10,000 by 2030.

That's just whoa! compared to the era of low inflation that we've lived through for the last forty years.

Like most on here my savings are mostly in inflation-proofed assets but for all the many people who permanently sit in cash deposits it's going to be a nightmare.

Long time lurking
On 04/05/2021 at 20:33, stokiescum said:

Yes they have shot up I’ve got about 10 in my stash

You can keep them i`m shiting like a seagull within ten minutes of eating one 

Long time lurking
On 07/05/2021 at 09:23, Sasquatch said:

Yeh but they said after brexit they would be worthless because there would be no market for them 

Feck have you seen the price of fish all that fish we would not be able to sell and would be throwing it away ,the fisherman and farmers must be suicidal 

Archived