DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Food price inflation (and other goods)

JFK

Long time lurking
On 07/05/2021 at 09:27, Castlevania said:

I bet you the farmer spent most of the time complaining about his input costs rocketing. 

Nah he lost his wellies 

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chewing Grass

Seems that long-term Interest Rates should be 2X the inflation rate and its been 13 years since the end of normality.

Interest Rates

1501773732_Screenshotfrom2021-05-0815-14-39.png.de84e8a77fc4a698ef8fcff536fca933.png

Inflation Rate

664733988_Screenshotfrom2021-05-0815-15-00.png.9a1aef86595270adab34509f39ea9699.png

Screenshot from 2021-05-08 15-14-39.png

58 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

You only really experience inflation if you are an adult making all of those adult purchases - utilities, food, fuel, new car.

I remember it well:) but we got used to it.  Food prices would be up from week to week so people shopped around a lot more.  Same for clothing/petrol etc.  There would be a letter from the bank every other month with the mortgage going up.  We were all on SVR repayment morgages as far as I know with no fixed rates.  We cut back where we could but being young I don't remember feeling unduly worried about it:D

It will hit those with an extravagant lifestyles the hardest.  People will have to cut back on their takeaways/fancy coffees/holidays/clothes etc. and get used to a lower standard of living.  I don't think I've ever got out of the frugal lifestyle so it shouldn't be too much of a hardship.

Wight Flight
8 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I absolutely agree.

You only really experience inflation if you are an adult making all of those adult purchases - utilities, food, fuel, new car.

You'd have to have been 20 or so when inflation was last really high - 1981 - so born in 1961 and now 60.

image.thumb.png.9cf2e005287cdd54117c7ad01df006b7.png

I certainly haven't experienced it.  I watch Top Gears from 1997 and the second hand car prices are similar to today.

Just as a thought exercise my fuel cost when I was commuting, 2020, was about £2,500 per year.

If inflation was kicking around 15% as it was through the 1970s that £2,500 would be £2,875 the next year and will have risen to £10,000 by 2030.

That's just whoa! compared to the era of low inflation that we've lived through for the last forty years.

Like most on here my savings are mostly in inflation-proofed assets but for all the many people who permanently sit in cash deposits it's going to be a nightmare.

Not so sure.

I recall getting revised prices every week from my paper suppliers, and changing my quotes from valid for 30 days to valid for 7 days.

I am back there again.

A job I quoted in Feb had a good margin. It came in last week and my supplier cost has gone up 17%. 

Chewing Grass
On 08/05/2021 at 15:09, Long time lurking said:

Yeh but they said after brexit they would be worthless because there would be no market for them 

Feck have you seen the price of fish all that fish we would not be able to sell and would be throwing it away ,the fisherman and farmers must be suicidal 

Local chippy has stopped selling Haddock (my favourite) since the price per box nearly doubled.

Bobthebuilder
13 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Local chippy has stopped selling Haddock (my favourite) since the price per box nearly doubled.

Gutted, I do like a piece of Haddock myself.

M&S was selling some nice fish during lockdown, presume lack of restaurants open, haddock, cod, lemon sole, plaice, Dover sole etc. Not cheap but I doubt we will see any once the economy opens up. I enjoyed it while I could.

Ok I'm a boomer between 65 n 70. I can remember buying a pint of mild for 10p old money ie 10pints for a pound! This was about 1971. I got paid less than £6-00 per week :CryBaby: ( still paid income tax).

Inflation in the 1970 was an education unfortunately I still don't know where to put my savings.. still in cash!

Chewing Grass
Just now, Bilbo said:

Ok I'm a boomer between 65 n 70. I can remember buying a pint of mild for 10p old money ie 10pints for a pound! This was about 1971. I got paid less than £6-00 per week :CryBaby: ( still paid income tax).

Inflation in the 1970 was an education unfortunately I still don't know where to put my savings.. still in cash!

First year Gen-X here and I can remember when a packet of XL beefy crisps were 2p before they went to 5p in less than 2 years. Electricity rationing. First pint of beer 50p, Mild was 46p and the horror of petrol becoming £1 per gallon about 2 years after learning to drive.

Chewing Grass

Just been in Morrisons, I like to get their Pork Lattice Pie and did a double take as I was sure it was £1.50 last week.

Fortunately there was some older stock to verify.

19th May £1.50
20th May £1.80
21st May £2.00

What are Pork futures like at the moment?

2063284393_Screenshotfrom2021-05-1221-38-46.thumb.jpg.a291d367b91fc47aa3b06524e63416fa.jpg

Wight Flight
1 hour ago, Chewing Grass said:

Just been in Morrisons, I like to get their Pork Lattice Pie and did a double take as I was sure it was £1.50 last week.

19th May £1.50
20th May £1.80
21st May £2.00

2063284393_Screenshotfrom2021-05-1221-38-46.thumb.jpg.a291d367b91fc47aa3b06524e63416fa.jpg

I am seriously impressed that you arranged them nicely for the picture.

Top field reporting.

11 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

19th May £1.50
20th May £1.80
21st May £2.00

Small world, same here.  Had an urge for a really good one.  Drove to the garden centre deli.  Hand sanitizer, etc on the way in, round all the chicanes as the deli is by the exit, only to get to the counter to see a £4++ price tag.  To add insult to injury, they had some reduced ones at about 50p off.  Went home sans pie.

Funny how we increased our storage area and stocked up for Brexit.  That then became Covid, and larger.  Now it's inflation and even bigger!

On 09/05/2021 at 19:09, Bobthebuilder said:

Gutted, I do like a piece of Haddock myself.

M&S was selling some nice fish during lockdown, presume lack of restaurants open, haddock, cod, lemon sole, plaice, Dover sole etc. Not cheap but I doubt we will see any once the economy opens up. I enjoyed it while I could.

I used to buy the nice chunky frozen cod in breadcrumbs from M and S.

Thought i bought the same last week, but it seems someone has turned those nice meaty chunks of cods into long thin slices. Then there are the beef pies where they've taken pretty much all the beef out and left some little bits in the gravy.

I just with they'd keep everything the same size and just put up the price as you dont know what you're getting these days.

All this just proves the fact that it is really important to cook your own. 

We can't trust what is in any of the processed or pre-cooked food.

At least when you go to the meat counter there is much less opportunity for them to cheat.

On top of that when you make pastry or cakes it is not made with fake fat.

(all flour and sugar is shit) 

On 13/05/2021 at 18:44, planit said:

All this just proves the fact that it is really important to cook your own. 

We can't trust what is in any of the processed or pre-cooked food.

At least when you go to the meat counter there is much less opportunity for them to cheat.

On top of that when you make pastry or cakes it is not made with fake fat.

(all flour and sugar is shit) 

100%.  It's now a massive difference, whether avoiding stuff from the supermarket or eating out most places.  Our diet has improved since we started really getting into home cooking from bread through to totally home cooked (all raw ingredients).  We like to cook a roast and use the leftovers for several meals (eaten or frozen).  Cheaper too, especially as we find we use less meat per meal and more veg.  But also portion sizes are better.  We also started an allotment.  Not necessarily cheaper but better quality and enjoyable/healthy.  Our cake baking is without sugar as we no longer notice the difference (especially if we use spices) and we have started making our own sugar free chocolates (e.g. filled with fruit).  We also control the fat content and type of flour.

PS:  Baking tip - a bit of vitamin C (absorbic acid) has really standardised our spelt/flour bread to a good sized loaf).  We also often bake cakes/puddings in our bread maker, even microwave (where those neoprene molds are top).

Austin Allegro
On 16/05/2021 at 06:59, jamanda said:

I had another look at my shopping bill.  Quite a few things have gone up by "only" 15p.  That's 3 bob.  Each.

A few years ago I remember complaining to a colleague that my cut-price cheapo Turkish barber had put his haircut prices up from £5 to £7.

'Gosh, two whole pounds!' came the sarcastic reply.

I didn't bother trying to explain percentages to him.

DurhamBorn
On 06/05/2021 at 21:54, Bilbo said:

Do you not think that an increase in supermarkets pricing is due to the current trend in home deliveries?

How can you get your groceries  picked and delivered for just a few pounds?

It must take an operative at least half hour to pick thirty items, minimum wage , holiday pay ,national insurance at least £10.00. This is before the delivery driver plus van delivery costs!

Think us who are shopping in-store are now paying a primum for those lazy internet folks.

One reason i prefer Lidl,Aldi and home bargains for tins,rice etc,that and the fact the fuel cost there and back is 8p.

I already feed us for around £35 a week,but im doing more and more batch cooking now and freezing etc.Im now freezing my home made pizza dough so instead of a £1 garlic bread its a 40p home made one.Lidl do some chopped tomatoes and herbs for 35p,add a bit of pepper and grated onion and garlic,food processor and enough topping for 5 pizzas for about 40p.

Food is going up a lot,but as always its the stuff that needs more labour and transport costs going up more.The beauty with higher prices is though a day when it hammers down with rain there are more reductions.I plan my shopping trips more with the met office app than anything else xD

On 08/05/2021 at 11:13, jamanda said:

I remember that inflation.  Wages were tied to it and we got an increase almost every week.

We had an annual salary review and if it was a bad year you only got "cost of living increase", which was 5 percent or so usually. Then everybody moaned.

On 08/05/2021 at 14:48, Frank Hovis said:

Like most on here my savings are mostly in inflation-proofed assets but for all the many people who permanently sit in cash deposits it's going to be a nightmare.

I have been in cash savings accounts for 10 years or so, because I am really risk-averse, also don't understand the stock market and such. I always read the DB deflation thread but I have very little idea what people are on about.  Last year I thought this really cannot go on so I opened a crypto trading account, which went well at first. You don't want to hear the rest.

8 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

We had an annual salary review and if it was a bad year you only got "cost of living increase", which was 5 percent or so usually. Then everybody moaned.

Mate of mine got the same story from his employer.

Seems a bit ironic as he's an undertaker.

Frank Hovis
3 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

I have been in cash savings accounts for 10 years or so, because I am really risk-averse, also don't understand the stock market and such. I always read the DB deflation thread but I have very little idea what people are on about.  Last year I thought this really cannot go on so I opened a crypto trading account, which went well at first. You don't want to hear the rest.

I would say this; though I was doing it before ever I read it.

I'm in premium bonds and cash rather than government bonds; and because I don't live in the US I have a more global spread of trackers.  Though in essence what he recommends is what I do.  A key advantage of trackers is their very low fees; 1.5% or more below "managed" funds.  That's a huge amount when compounded over twenty years: 35%.

“My advice to the trustee [for my wife] could not be more simple: Put 10 per cent of the cash in short-term government bonds and 90 per cent in very low-cost S&P 500 index fund.”

https://www.news.com.au/finance/money/warren-buffett-gives-simple-investment-advice-to-his-wife-in-annual-letter-to-shareholders/news-story/7a42419bc2995aa86de75a5425c0f8b8

Archived