DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Food price inflation (and other goods)

JFK

leonardratso
5 hours ago, jamanda said:

Daughter and grandkids visit us on a Saturday each week.  We used to order from chippy and have them delivered (delivery £1).

I now cook on Saturdays because it was getting ridiculous.  We checked why it was so expensive, e.g. £1.70 for a tub of mushy peas each, £1.80 for a fish cake, etc. etc.

I know they need to make a decent profit.   used to own a chippy and I know what the mark ups are.  I know stuff had gone up, but they are being greedy now. 

I have also just spent a few minutes editing my punctuation due to a mark on the blooming screen looking like a full stop.

ive got a small smear on mine that occassionally lines up and fools me into looking like an apostrophe.

Of course the sensible thing to do would be to clean the screen.

But i cant be arsed.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

Mrs Chewy came back from the chippy tonight with £1 change from a £20 note as fish had gone up to £6 each so that was £12 before the chips, mushies and her curry sauce.

Go to click and collect, select a branch and then you can see the prices.

https://fishnchickn.co.uk/

£6.35 for a medium cod in Basingstoke. £7.25 for a large cod.

Large cod and chips £9.65 (from)

I also suspect a 'large' cod is much smaller than a large cod would have been 20 years ago.

And £1.95 for a tub of curry sauce. The mark up is huge on that. Pennies for the tub, pennies for the sauce mix and pennies for the hot water. That's why I bought some 'chipshop' curry sauce for £0.60 and make my own.

sancho panza

was a t Leicester market today with the Junior Panza.Talking to a guy we regularly buy off ,eh was saying prices for bananas and soft fruits heading north,if you can get them.was saying some days at the wholesale market,there's jsut nothing in stock.Never seen anything like it.

Whether thats supermarkets nciking everything I don't know,or ships being stuck places.

12 hours ago, sancho panza said:

was a t Leicester market today with the Junior Panza.Talking to a guy we regularly buy off ,eh was saying prices for bananas and soft fruits heading north,if you can get them.was saying some days at the wholesale market,there's jsut nothing in stock.Never seen anything like it.

Whether thats supermarkets nciking everything I don't know,or ships being stuck places.

Thought I would look this one up as the EU used to stop us inporting from some places.  Looks like a another reason...from bbc

"The ‘banana pandemic’ destroying the world’s favourite fruit" https://www.bbc.com/future/bespoke/follow-the-food/the-pandemic-threatening-bananas.html

On 26/06/2021 at 06:55, jamanda said:

Daughter and grandkids visit us on a Saturday each week.  We used to order from chippy and have them delivered (delivery £1).

I now cook on Saturdays because it was getting ridiculous.  We checked why it was so expensive, e.g. £1.70 for a tub of mushy peas each, £1.80 for a fish cake, etc. etc.

I know they need to make a decent profit.   used to own a chippy and I know what the mark ups are.  I know stuff had gone up, but they are being greedy now. 

I have also just spent a few minutes editing my punctuation due to a mark on the blooming screen looking like a full stop.

Getting towards that at my local chippy, didn't go to the chippy this Friday (had some decent organic salmon and yellow fin tuna steaks that needed cooking: probably paid the same price as the chippy but the fish was better and spread to feed 2 people!).

Might just use tins of mushy peas - can get them for about 50p in Aldi and will serve 2, plus chippy curry sauce can just be bought as mentioned further downstream.

Then the only thing to get from the chippy will be fish and chips ....

leonardratso
2 hours ago, jamanda said:

I alway soak my own peas.  You can get a bucketful for not a lot of money.  The rest freeze well in portions.

its known as tea bagging in the industry.

I have received an email from my energy supplier.  Apparently since the beginning of this year gas and electricity prices have risen 100%.  Prices were increased earlier in the year, and are being increased again.  They think my monthly bill will be £10 - £11 per month more expensive.

Castlevania

There is no food price inflation thanks to our saviour Joe Biden

Food is surprisingly expensive in the US. $5 for a 13oz bag of crisps is extortionate.

Don Coglione
16 minutes ago, Castlevania said:

There is no food price inflation thanks to our saviour Joe Biden

Food is surprisingly expensive in the US. $5 for a 13oz bag of crisps is extortionate.

At least half of that is not what I would call food.

Regardless, you are correct, it is fucking expensive, at least compared to the UK; in fairness, food is still ridiculously cheap here.

It can be more subtle than the price or weight changing. In local Lidl, they still sell coconut milk at the same price and weight,  although a different supplier, but with a lower percentage of actual coconut.. 

We buy dried cat food in bulk - 10kg at a time, from looking at previous orders it's gone up from £55 -> £60 -> £66 in a year.  There's been no noticeable difference in quality (it's quite an expensive dried food for sensitive guts rag doll cat), so they've just ramped up the price to maintain same quality. 

20% inflation.

.... just wait for the next month's USA inflation data ....

VeryMeanReversion

The price of some electronics components I use have gone from £5 to £132.  It could be designed out in a few months but similar parts have gone the same way.

Lead-times for some chips are going out to October next year.

Instead of our usual 4-8 week delivery time, we will have to quote 12+ months.

Just-in-time becomes not-in-time.

Frank Hovis
On 15/07/2021 at 14:25, VeryMeanReversion said:

The price of some electronics components I use have gone from £5 to £132.  It could be designed out in a few months but similar parts have gone the same way.

Lead-times for some chips are going out to October next year.

Instead of our usual 4-8 week delivery time, we will have to quote 12+ months.

Just-in-time becomes not-in-time.

I know people at a big manufacturing company and their delivery times are now 30 - 40 weeks.

Customers moan and say they're going elsewhere.  Then come back because nobody else can deliver more quickly.

It's across the board.

I think it's all down to Covid Lockdown as in this company and also their suppliers have been repeatedly short of staff for the last fifteen months so backlogs have built up.

Son got a couple of extra shifts this week as production closed down and company having new machinery installed.

Dont envy him. 12 hour shifts in this heat.Many manufacturing will keep going down the automation route ( operators will reduce) but they still need fixing.

My cheap fish cakes (I only like the cheap ones with no fish) have gone from £1 a couple of months ago, to £1.50 and this week £1.75.  That is going some.

• 5 months later...
Chewing Grass

Just been round the COOP and they have repriced a lot of stuff this week, was 50p last week now 55p, was £2.50 last week now £2.75, Veg & Dairy haven't budged yet but anything that sees a sniff of a big factory is up 10%.

Still think "retail" inflation hasn't warmed up yet. IMO last year producers were able to:

a) work down the stock they already had (at lower prices). The stock is now gone.

b) cut "low hanging fruit" costs within their businesses to make the savings to not have to pass on increases. The easy wins are gone and little else to cut back on.

c) absorb remainder of the increases toward the end of the year after a) and b) exhausted by compromising some margin. Can sustain that for a few months/a year, any longer = trouble.

This year there is nowhere to go and I can see vast majority of costs getting passed on, sellers can be more emboldened in their prices when they genuinely know their choice is go bust slowly (not charge the price you need) or go bust instantly (charge the price you need and lose the account) or charge and make what you need to continue operating. Incidentally, we are continuing to see key raws and packaging costs increase this year already, and significantly so too.

The 'small' Sainsburys now really takes the piss for pricing of things. Lots of things now much more expensive. The small shops generally lack special offers which tend to reduce the bills a bit.

We have kind of had it good for a real long time though in certain categories, for example 500g of pasta was 50p (now 70p) for over 10 years, maybe more. Some veg like cucumbers, lettuces also the same price - no discernable price increases yet. 

If prices go up across the board it could be easily as painful for some families as the electric bills - maybe another extra £100 a month if your usual spend is £100 a week. Maybe own brands will have a massive resurgence.

I'm seeing items going up by 20p/25p. For instance a £3 item I buy regularly at the supermarket is now £3.25.

Inflation in the USA is now 'officially' 7%. Basically it's double that realistically.

How long can the pips be squeezed?

I've posted more regular updates in the 'inflation' thread in off-topic

13 hours ago, JFK said:

I'm seeing items going up by 20p/25p. For instance a £3 item I buy regularly at the supermarket is now £3.25.

Inflation in the USA is now 'officially' 7%. Basically it's double that realistically.

How long can the pips be squeezed?

I've posted more regular updates in the 'inflation' thread in off-topic

What's going to happen though?

Everyone gets poorer so people don't change their cars, stay living with their parents for longer, live in shared houses or small flats, don't turn the heating on.

It's simply a speeding up of a twenty five year trend of everyone working, or on benefits, becoming materially poorer whilst asset owners have become richer.

The marker of this for me is vehicle registrations as however difficult it may be to live without a car it is better than being homeless so people will give them up.

Vehicle registrations dropped last year despite the increasing population.

On 14/01/2022 at 09:01, Frank Hovis said:

The marker of this for me is vehicle registrations as however difficult it may be to live without a car it is better than being homeless so people will give them up.

The odd thing that I am seeing currently is that people aren't becoming homeless because of lack of money - it is genuinely a lack of homes.

Archived