DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Food price inflation (and other goods)

Long time lurking
On 07/05/2021 at 09:23, Sasquatch said:

My mum was taking to an old friend the other day (livestock farmer in Wales). He is selling lambs this year for £185. They were £120 last year and £80 to £90 the year before that. Recent beef calf sales at £1,800 head compared to £1,200 previously.

Big percentage differences....

Yeh but they said after brexit they would be worthless because there would be no market for them 

Feck have you seen the price of fish all that fish we would not be able to sell and would be throwing it away ,the fisherman and farmers must be suicidal 

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JFK

• invalid

• Bobthebuilder

• Long time lurking

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not so sure. I recall getting revised prices every week from my paper suppliers, and changing my quotes from valid for 30 days to valid for 7 days. I am back there again. A job I quoted

Just a thought: For almost anyone under 60 a living experience of proper inflation is non existent. Can you imagine if the ball started rolling how todays generation would supercharge it thr

I remember inflation from the 70's - just - and remember the lights going out, candles for heating rooms, etc.  I cannot imagine the complete lack of ability of 50% of people to deal with it if it hap

Posted Images

Long time lurking
On 07/05/2021 at 09:27, Castlevania said:

I bet you the farmer spent most of the time complaining about his input costs rocketing. 

Nah he lost his wellies 

Chewing Grass

Seems that long-term Interest Rates should be 2X the inflation rate and its been 13 years since the end of normality.

Interest Rates

1501773732_Screenshotfrom2021-05-0815-14-39.png.de84e8a77fc4a698ef8fcff536fca933.png

Inflation Rate

664733988_Screenshotfrom2021-05-0815-15-00.png.9a1aef86595270adab34509f39ea9699.png

Screenshot from 2021-05-08 15-14-39.png

• Agree 2
58 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

You only really experience inflation if you are an adult making all of those adult purchases - utilities, food, fuel, new car.

I remember it well:) but we got used to it.  Food prices would be up from week to week so people shopped around a lot more.  Same for clothing/petrol etc.  There would be a letter from the bank every other month with the mortgage going up.  We were all on SVR repayment morgages as far as I know with no fixed rates.  We cut back where we could but being young I don't remember feeling unduly worried about it:D

It will hit those with an extravagant lifestyles the hardest.  People will have to cut back on their takeaways/fancy coffees/holidays/clothes etc. and get used to a lower standard of living.  I don't think I've ever got out of the frugal lifestyle so it shouldn't be too much of a hardship.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
Wight Flight
8 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

I absolutely agree.

You only really experience inflation if you are an adult making all of those adult purchases - utilities, food, fuel, new car.

You'd have to have been 20 or so when inflation was last really high - 1981 - so born in 1961 and now 60.

image.thumb.png.9cf2e005287cdd54117c7ad01df006b7.png

I certainly haven't experienced it.  I watch Top Gears from 1997 and the second hand car prices are similar to today.

Just as a thought exercise my fuel cost when I was commuting, 2020, was about £2,500 per year.

If inflation was kicking around 15% as it was through the 1970s that £2,500 would be £2,875 the next year and will have risen to £10,000 by 2030.

That's just whoa! compared to the era of low inflation that we've lived through for the last forty years.

Like most on here my savings are mostly in inflation-proofed assets but for all the many people who permanently sit in cash deposits it's going to be a nightmare.

Not so sure.

I recall getting revised prices every week from my paper suppliers, and changing my quotes from valid for 30 days to valid for 7 days.

I am back there again.

A job I quoted in Feb had a good margin. It came in last week and my supplier cost has gone up 17%. 

• Informative 6
Chewing Grass
On 08/05/2021 at 15:09, Long time lurking said:

Yeh but they said after brexit they would be worthless because there would be no market for them 

Feck have you seen the price of fish all that fish we would not be able to sell and would be throwing it away ,the fisherman and farmers must be suicidal 

Local chippy has stopped selling Haddock (my favourite) since the price per box nearly doubled.

Bobthebuilder
13 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Local chippy has stopped selling Haddock (my favourite) since the price per box nearly doubled.

Gutted, I do like a piece of Haddock myself.

M&S was selling some nice fish during lockdown, presume lack of restaurants open, haddock, cod, lemon sole, plaice, Dover sole etc. Not cheap but I doubt we will see any once the economy opens up. I enjoyed it while I could.

Ok I'm a boomer between 65 n 70. I can remember buying a pint of mild for 10p old money ie 10pints for a pound! This was about 1971. I got paid less than £6-00 per week :CryBaby: ( still paid income tax).

Inflation in the 1970 was an education unfortunately I still don't know where to put my savings.. still in cash!

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
Chewing Grass
Just now, Bilbo said:

Ok I'm a boomer between 65 n 70. I can remember buying a pint of mild for 10p old money ie 10pints for a pound! This was about 1971. I got paid less than £6-00 per week :CryBaby: ( still paid income tax).

Inflation in the 1970 was an education unfortunately I still don't know where to put my savings.. still in cash!

First year Gen-X here and I can remember when a packet of XL beefy crisps were 2p before they went to 5p in less than 2 years. Electricity rationing. First pint of beer 50p, Mild was 46p and the horror of petrol becoming £1 per gallon about 2 years after learning to drive.