• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
onlyme

Swiss Dynamo

Crikey........ I think I would be dead if I tried that.

http://racearoundireland.com/reist-becomes-first-woman-win-race-around-ireland

Cruising into Moynalty as if on a morning spin before work, Swiss dynamo Nicole Reist completed her history making assault on Race Around Ireland in record time and immediately paid tribute to her support crew.

The 33-year-old from Winterthur near Zurich duly confirmed her dominance over Europe’s toughest annual bike race in finishing her 2153km almost non-stop ride around Ireland, her nearest challenger and leader of the men’s category still more than 12 hours away in County Wexford as she accepted the victory plaudits.

Reist took 112hrs and 21mins to complete her epic journey, during which she rested for just four hours in total

Edited by onlyme

2 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Mental but hugely impressive! It's interesting how women are winning ultra endurance events - I believe there's fairly good evidence that men ar stronger but women can go for longer at a lower rate.

We still talking about sport?

https://i1.wp.com/www.starkafterdarkonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/judge.dredd_.sex_.jpg

6 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

Mental but hugely impressive! It's interesting how women are winning ultra endurance events - I believe there's fairly good evidence that men ar stronger but women can go for longer at a lower rate.

Are they ? I watch a fair bit often on channel 4 Saturday mornings. I've never seen a woman come anywhere near the leading men. This is a very impressive but nuts thing this woman has done.

Very obscure though and I'm sure there are plenty of blokes out there could beat her if they tried it. 

"Her average speed of 19.71kmh was the eighth fastest in the history of the event and puts her into an exclusive club of women who have won an endurance bike race racing on equal terms with men."

Incredibly impressive but she's the exception rather than the rule. 

8th fastest ever is higher than I would have thought before I clicked on that link. 

The difference between men and women definitely reduces for endurance events but the men's best times are still about 10% better. The only sport I've ever come up with where a man competing against the women is unlikely to win is gymnastics because the women's sport favours small size and flexibility.

Two are:

True Mixed Sex Sports

There are a small number of sports where men and women compete against each other regardless of sex. In these sports, the physical differences between men and women are deemed not to have any effect on the outcome of any competition.

• Equestrian: An Olympic sport in which competitors ride horses, Equestrian consists of dressage, jumping, and eventing. Men and women compete in this event together. The reason for this is that the attributes required to be successful are to be a confident and able rider of horses, something in which the sexes don’t differ.
  • Sailing: Men and women compete together in sailing although it is only in one particular class, the Nacre 17. Other classes are segregated by sex.

•  

I'd also say as jockeys; you have to be extremely fit to ride a horse in something like the National.

7 hours ago, The Generation Game said:

Less than 20kph average speed. 

Would make a dull one one of these (still a decent feat)  

World Athletics Championships: People try running at Mo Farah's 5000m pace

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/40911897

All of those top athletes are astonishing. Measure out the distances they're covering in the long jump, or high jump for example. It's nuts. 

The pace on the track is amazing. World record marathon pace is something like 4.42 per mile. 

I'd have been delighted to have ever done one mile at that pace! 

8 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'd also say as jockeys; you have to be extremely fit to ride a horse in something like the National.

Male jump jockeys are as macho as they come. With reason, you have to be hard as nails. The ladies that have managed to compete against the men in that game are to be admired but I don't think there is any serious suggestion that they are as good in situations where the strength really counts, like driving an exhausted horse to the line to snatch a win.

Some horse owners prefer that not to be done though.

Just now, Uptherebels said:

All of those top athletes are astonishing. Measure out the distances they're covering in the long jump, or high jump for example. It's nuts. 

The pace on the track is amazing. World record marathon pace is something like 4.42 per mile. 

I'd have been delighted to have ever done one mile at that pace! 

Absolutely.  You watch a marathon and it's all long shots and faces; looks a bit slow and tactical.  Occasionally they give a side view of the runnning legs and it shows just how fast the pace actually is.

3 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

Male jump jockeys are as macho as they come. With reason, you have to be hard as nails. The ladies that have managed to compete against the men in that game are to be admired but I don't think there is any serious suggestion that they are as good in situations where the strength really counts, like driving an exhausted horse to the line to snatch a win.

A quick google shows that you are absolutely right.

Putting prejudice aside though another female jockey, Carrie Ford, admits “I know it might disappoint some people, but I'm not an advocate of the view that women can compete on any horse, men will always have the strength and some horses need that. Women would have trouble with big, old-fashioned, thick-set chasers; they take a lot of holding together when they get tired. But other horses require more finesse than strength. Some horses resent being bullied.”

So how is a woman ever going to win the Grand National?

Well given a brave owner and trainer, the right female jockey with the right temperament and physical attributes, and of course the right horse it is perfectly possible that a woman will win the Grand National in the near future.

http://www.grand-national.me.uk/3237/will-a-woman-ever-win-the-national/

8 hours ago, The Generation Game said:

Less than 20kph average speed. 

Would make a dull one one of these (still a decent feat)  

World Athletics Championships: People try running at Mo Farah's 5000m pace

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/40911897

I remember Seb Coe running his 800m world record, it was about 1min 41 at the time from memory. At the time I was a fit lad, I could do 100m in 12.5s and was quite quick by any normal standards. I worked out his average speed for the 800m was the same, give or take a second, as mine for 100m.:CryBaby: So much for me thinking I was fit/strong at the time...

7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I can't do the maths but can someone demonstrate that no three positive integers a, b, and c satisfy the equation an + bn = cn for any integer value of n greater than 2?

I have a truly marvellous demonstration of this proposition which this text-box is too small to contain...

1 hour ago, swissy_fit said:

Superstars used to be the tell on how fit you have to be at the peak of any sport, another example being racing drivers - always threw up a few surprises.

1 minute ago, onlyme said:

Superstars used to be the tell on how fit you have to be at the peak of any sport, another example being racing drivers - always threw up a few surprises.

Jump jockeys are fit all right, but not sure how they'd have got on at Superstars. With them, it's more a question of sheer hardness - they are regularly hurled off horses at highish speed, trampled and get smashed around to a degree that normal humans can't tolerate. I worked with a lad who had given up his dream of being a steeplechase jockey after the 5th or 6th collarbone breakage in a couple of years.