DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Inside window box For chilli plants

ccc

Question

No clue about this stuff - burd growing some chillies and coming up great. Time to repot. 

So got some window boxes to put a pile of them in all together inside. (20 or so plants into two big boxes).

Anyway the boxes we got don't have holes in the bottom and don't come with trays. Blurb on b and q says drill holes if outside but no need for inside. She has had a Google however and apparently you can get issues with root rot if nowhere for excess water to go ? 

When I bought the box the bloke gave me a pile of cheap grit and said put that on the bottom then your mix on top (we have grow bag stiff and compost) 

Will the grit stop any issues with root rot ? And the mix we use - how long can that stay in for - does it need changed eventually ? 

Merci green fingered dosbods if you have any advice. :Old:

11 answers to this question

I'd say always have holes in the bottom of pots, whether inside or out.

[ie, drill them in if they're not there already]

13 hours ago, dgul said:

I'd say always have holes in the bottom of pots, whether inside or out.

[ie, drill them in if they're not there already]

Ok thanks. These ones don't have ready made trays to go under so no idea what to do. O.o

1 minute ago, ccc said:

Ok thanks. These ones don't have ready made trays to go under so no idea what to do. O.o

Get a tray to go under.

1 hour ago, dgul said:

Get a tray to go under.

Looked but even Amazon didn't have size :o

I will work something out - thanks :Beer:

spunko
Posted (edited)

You will need somewhere for the water to drain yes. Chilli plants like a water every day in summer, and feed. You can buy something like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223667603983

By the way, unless the pots are bloody massive, 20 plants is going to create more problems than it's worth, they will not produce any fruit at all and get all sorts of issues with lack of root run/airflow. A chilli plant usually spreads out to 1-2 ft wide when fully grown. If they're the standard troughs you get, I'd be tempted to put 2-3 in each only.

https://www.greenhousesensation.co.uk/media/wysiwyg/media/chilligrow-chilli-planter-2-x-bigger-yields_1.jpg

Edited by spunko
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

Bilbo

This was one of my smaller ones from last year. As you can see one plant in an 8" pot.

Grown outside against South facing wall.

IMG_20201107_174233.jpg

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

spunko
Just now, ccc said:

I think we need a bigger box :D

Seriously 20 chili plants will probably produce over a thousand chili's . Are you planning to sell them? 

do you know what cultivar they are. are they all the same? you must really like chillis. 

2 minutes ago, spunko said:

Seriously 20 chili plants will probably produce over a thousand chili's . Are you planning to sell them? 

do you know what cultivar they are. are they all the same? you must really like chillis. 

Aye love them. She's giving plenty away. Maybe have to reduce our number to 8-10. 

She grew them before and went well apparently. 

MrLibertyRedux
On 06/05/2021 at 19:17, ccc said:

No clue about this stuff - burd growing some chillies and coming up great. Time to repot. 

So got some window boxes to put a pile of them in all together inside. (20 or so plants into two big boxes).

Anyway the boxes we got don't have holes in the bottom and don't come with trays. Blurb on b and q says drill holes if outside but no need for inside. She has had a Google however and apparently you can get issues with root rot if nowhere for excess water to go ? 

When I bought the box the bloke gave me a pile of cheap grit and said put that on the bottom then your mix on top (we have grow bag stiff and compost) 

Will the grit stop any issues with root rot ? And the mix we use - how long can that stay in for - does it need changed eventually ? 

Merci green fingered dosbods if you have any advice. :Old:

These are mine (birds eye), I started them from seeds last year. I cut them down to 6 inch stalks last October. I used my first two fruits in a stir fry a few days ago. I'm expecting a bumper crop this summer I think.

I reckon 20 would be way too many.

20210509_121604[1].jpg

• Agree 2