DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Rip a DVD Video to my hard drive (windows)

JoeDavola

Question

JoeDavola

Why is this so fucking hard.

Trying VLC - coming out with frame skips and no audio. Takes ages.

It's a UK region 2 DVD.

Anyone else managed this on windows and have any software recommendations? This is getting too much like work.

muggle

I tried the same thing myself recently.

Eventually I decided it just wasn't worth the hassle and chucked the DVD!

No need to thank me for this advice  :D

• Lol 1

MrLibertyRedux
Just now, JoeDavola said:

Is it the copy protection that's fucking me here I wonder.

Yup. There is software out there that will do it but it is that dodgy I wouldn't have it installed on any of my kit.

I have a mate who does it, but I don't know what he uses. He spends far too much time on it, which is why I have never bothered.

• Agree 1

Guest 3
4 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Why is this so fucking hard.

Trying VLC - coming out with frame skips and no audio. Takes ages.

It's a UK region 2 DVD.

Anyone else managed this on windows and have any software recommendations? This is getting too much like work.

It's a piece of piss if you get the correct old-school tools.

Go to Videohelp.com, and you'll find all you need to know and then some...

XYY

• Cheers 1

Snake Plissken

I haven't done this in years but used to use handbrake software for dvd ripping

• Agree 4

Guest 3

Others have mentioned DVDdecrypter, I concur - a brilliant piece of software.

This will create an uncracked DVD image on your hard drive. But you then might want to extract the contents of the new folder into a single file. A DVD image is a bit complicated in that the video gets cut into 1GB chunks. There is plenty of free and fast software out there that can do this...

XYY

Guest 3
Posted (edited)

Oh, and if you're fucking around with DVD images on a hard drive, make sure it isn't formatted as FAT32.

DVD Images are fine, but if you extract the video into one file it can go over the 4 gig filesize limit.

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man
  • Agree 3

JoeDavola
6 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Others have mentioned DVDdecrypter, I concur - a brilliant piece of software.

This will create an uncracked DVD image on your hard drive. But you then might want to extract the contents of the new folder into a single file. A DVD image is a bit complicated in that the video gets cut into 1GB chunks. There is plenty of free and fast software out there that can do this...

XYY

Yep I'm at this point now. So I have a series of 1GB VOB files. It's for another editing project so ideally I'd like to stitch them together to one file preferably in a more compressed format? What's the next step?

JoeDavola
Posted (edited)

Knew this probably wouldn't work but tried dragging one of the chunks into the video editor and it's a tiny size on the screen:

image.thumb.png.1170a8e1a7b16a527c229ba04644bb22.png

Edited by JoeDavola

Guest 3
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Yep I'm at this point now. So I have a series of 1GB VOB files. It's for another editing project so ideally I'd like to stitch them together to one file preferably in a more compressed format? What's the next step?

You need a VOB to mpeg converter. You could try VLC on the uncracked file as I think it does have that ability.

I used to used a dodgy copy of some commercial software, but there are plenty of simple bits of software out there. VOB2MPG rings a bell.

Videohelp.com is your friend...

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man
  • Agree 1

JoeDavola
Just now, inactionman said:

TBH, you are better off downloading a Rip via torrents/VPN.

Yeah I'd considered that but part of the footage I want is from the 'deleted scenes' of the movie so a torrent generally just has the original movie.

• Agree 1

Guest 3
Just now, JoeDavola said:

Yeah I'd considered that but part of the footage I want is from the 'deleted scenes' of the movie so a torrent generally just has the original movie.

2 minutes ago, inactionman said:

TBH, you are better off downloading a Rip via torrents/VPN.

No he's not.

If you've got the original DVD, there is no point in downloading a more compressed and inferior copy of it.

XYY

JoeDavola

OK well at least I've mastered step 1 which is getting the data onto my hard drive. Thanks to @XswampyX for the recommendation. I need to do the same with another DVD so I'll kick that off before I start reading about file conversions and all that malarkey.

inactionman
Just now, The XYY Man said:

No he's not.

If you've got the original DVD, there is no point in downloading a more compressed and inferior copy of it.

XYY

These days the quality of a DVD is pretty poor, even on FullHD panels let alone 4K, so it doesn't really make much difference.

The problem with ripping DVD's (en-masse at least) is the time it takes. For a single one, it's no bother. For ripping a big collection, forget about it!

Guest 3
10 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Just noticed you want to compress the extracted video. It's already compressed. If you want to compress it more, there are plenty of ways of doing this, but it depends on how you choose to view or distribute the finished file. Conversion method depends on a number of factors. 

XYY

JoeDavola
6 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Just noticed you want to compress the extracted video. It's already compressed. If you want to compress it more, there are plenty of ways of doing this, but it depends on how you choose to view or distribute the finished file. Conversion method depends on a number of factors. 

XYY

Ya know what I don't even know why I said that. Ignore that.

Main thing now is once I have the stuff on my HD get it into a format that I can start to edit in VSDC.

• Agree 1

onlyme
15 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

XYY

The quick way to compress a DV collection is buy a bulk pack of plastic sleeves, cut up the original box art into a squares to suit, slip the disc and resized box art into the sleeves and throw all the bulky the boxes away.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 2