• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Being sued and wanting financial help

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2017/09/save-craig-murray/

This case has the potential to bankrupt me and blight the lives of my wife and children. I have specifically been threatened by Mr Lewis with bankruptcy.

If you have no assets then being sued makes no difference?

If you have assets then you need people to contribute so you don't lose your assets?

Well, if what he says is true then he should be OK.

UK libel law is a disgrace. I did donate to Simon SInghs chriptractor libel fund.

In this case, the DM journo would have to demonstrate 40k worth of damage.

OOh hes that ex Uzefuckingwherestand Ambassodrs who quit on principle.

How the fuck someone can join the FO expecting to be principled is another thing.

How the fuck someone like that can then get to be Ambassdor -of a shite hole tiny country mind - is another thing.

Obviously his Dad knew someone who knew someone.

4 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

"Human rights activist"

I stopped reading at that point.  Tossers like him have done untold damage to society.

Ha ha. He probably doesn't like people at all!O.o

6 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

"Human rights activist"

I stopped reading at that point.  Tossers like him have done untold damage to society.

Yup. Is there a crowdfunder for the other side - I'd chuck a few quid in.

Is this the litigant?
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/sep/23/jewish-orthodox

And his brief?
https://www.timesofisrael.com/uks-foremost-libel-lawyer-sets-his-sights-on-israels-enemies/

While disagreeing with many of his positions, I prefer Murray and might even bung him a few quid.

Edited by Turned Out Nice Again

I got as far as "The Blairites" before deciding that I want him to lose the case.

2 hours ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

All very sinister. I wonder who's backing the litigant in this case?

This is his brief:
https://www.timesofisrael.com/uks-foremost-libel-lawyer-sets-his-sights-on-israels-enemies/

The litigant has more than enough money to back himself.

9 hours ago, spygirl said:

Well, if what he says is true then he should be OK.

UK libel law is a disgrace. I did donate to Simon SInghs chriptractor libel fund.

In this case, the DM journo would have to demonstrate 40k worth of damage.

Indeed. He can enter a defence at no cost. Libel laws are grim but MPs use it as a money spinner so it will never change. 

What did he actually say on Sky News?

I'm disinclined to support him on the evidence so far. I bunged Andy Wightman a few quid earlier this year though.

5 hours ago, Rave said:

What did he actually say on Sky News?

I'm disinclined to support him on the evidence so far. I bunged Andy Wightman a few quid earlier this year though.

Its abit vague.

He sort of mentions then doesnt - maybe hes withdrawn the comment.

2 hours ago, spygirl said:

Its abit vague.

He sort of mentions then doesnt - maybe hes withdrawn the comment.

That's one of the Kafkaesque features of English libel law. In order to raise funds for his defence, he needs to justify his original comments but to do so is regarded by the court as contempt or "compounding the libel". All the cards are stacked in the favour of rich (or financially-backed) litigants.

Edited by Turned Out Nice Again

7 minutes ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

That's one of the Kafkaesque features of English libel law. In order to raise funds for his defence, he needs to justify his original comments but to do so is regarded by the court as contempt or "compounding the libel". All the cards are stacked in the favour of rich (or financially-backed) litigants.

He is presenting himself as a harmless victim but without evidence of what was said I'm struggling to sympathise and can assume the gist of it. He ticks all the right-on boxes - leftwing, virtue signaling on Palestine and the Daily Mail etc. 

I'd be more inclined to donate to someone on the right where most lawyers are much more reluctant to defend. 

I dislike the way he invokes the right to free speech without understanding what it even means and what limitations it has. Typical loudmouth trot. 

5 minutes ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

Or he's opposing an attempt by a foreign power to chill free speech in the UK - take your pick. 

As I said, I don't agree with most of Murray's positions but defending free-speech against foreign interests is more important.

Isn't he one of those tossers that only supports free speech when it aligns with what he believes?

1 minute ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

It's not about Murray. It could be you or me tomorrow.

It has almost been me! I posted about it before, libel but didn't get to court. Wasn't pleasant (!) but I'm always reluctant to side with someone just because they present themselves as David vs the Daily Mail (oh no!) Goliath... 

I suppose it's a cheap shot, but I'd advise on not slandering/libelling other people in the first place.

If you're an investigative journalist, then make sure you do it properly (ie, collate all the evidence properly), and have the support of a larger body when you do it (ie, through your employment).

If you're an aspiring investigative journo, then we're living in an amazing time where it is possible to libel people anonymously and from offshore, so take advantage of this.  To say bad stuff about powerful/rich people eponymously and from inside the UK is a bit stupid.