Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

One bedroomed houses and bungalows


UmBongo
 Share

Recommended Posts

UmBongo

As more and more people are living the singles life I'm a little surprised that property developers don't build more of these instead of flats. I'm scouting Rightmove and these are few and far between in my search area. Maybe a few retirement bungalows with the obvious age restrictions.

It is a common argument that 'blocks of flats take up less room than rows of houses' but I'm not too sure in the case of houses. Bungalows, yes - but they are needed too. The communal lawns and shared car park beside my flat takes up a lot of space. Even the communal area and staircase takes up valuable area space imo. Even if they build 'em 3 storeys high it would be better. Each with a parking space at the front and a garden at the rear.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No lodger potential, I am single and I wouldn't buy one

And if I end up not-single I don't need the aggro of a move just because of that

  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Frank Hovis
1 hour ago, UmBongo said:

As more and more people are living the singles life I'm a little surprised that property developers don't build more of these instead of flats. I'm scouting Rightmove and these are few and far between in my search area. Maybe a few retirement bungalows with the obvious age restrictions.

It is a common argument that 'blocks of flats take up less room than rows of houses' but I'm not too sure in the case of houses. Bungalows, yes - but they are needed too. The communal lawns and shared car park beside my flat takes up a lot of space. Even the communal area and staircase takes up valuable area space imo. Even if they build 'em 3 storeys high it would be better. Each with a parking space at the front and a garden at the rear.

Everyone wants a second bedroom so that they can have people to stay.

I heard a retired woman from upcountry on Radio Cornwall this afternoon who was looking for a four bed house in Cornwall, it wasn't clear if it was just her or her and her husband but the reason for the four bed is that she has three adult children and it would be one place that they could all be together for Christmas and similar.

I bought a three bed as in a spare double bedroom for people to stay and a single bedroom to act as a home office.

The space inofitself is also very nice; especially in winter or on wet days when I'm not going out.  I lived for several years in a studio flat which, though it had three small separate rooms for bathroom / toilet, sink and kitchen still felt that I was living in a box like a rodent kept as a pet.

  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

spunko

I've lived in a one bedroom flat for a bit, it was very cramped . One thing to be aware of is they also tank the hardest in any recession.

  • Agree 2
  • Informative 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

wherebee

One bedrom flats means that you are also more exposed to the dangers of bad neighbours (more in a small space, more shared walls).  One noisy neighbour can ruin the lives of 10 others in a block of 1 bedders.

The ideal solution is i) one bed bungalows and ii) population reduction.  However, neither is in line with your masters plans.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With a crooked smile
On 14/05/2021 at 01:04, wherebee said:

One bedrom flats means that you are also more exposed to the dangers of bad neighbours (more in a small space, more shared walls)

Funny I was talking to a friend who's recently become a Police officer (got made redundant from airport, toned it down on WhatsApp). He mentioned that in some areas of his patch fairly rural the only main crimes are domestic violence and neighbours issues. Apparently its not just the housing association places where this goes on even the really expensive places where they have converted old mansions into luxury flats have neighbour issues. 

 

One of them was paying 5k a month ground rent and service charges (yes you did read that right). 

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

King Penda
On 13/05/2021 at 19:32, Loki said:

No lodger potential, I am single and I wouldn't buy one

And if I end up not-single I don't need the aggro of a move just because of that

Electric cars people will be fighting over charging points in 20 years

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, stokiescum said:

Electric cars people will be fighting over charging points in 20 years

I'm not sure...I think private cars for most are going away.  

  • Agree 3
  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

King Penda
3 minutes ago, Loki said:

I'm not sure...I think private cars for most are going away.  

Ultimately maybe but electric cars will be a thing for how long is the question but I’d rather have more space not less and like you said potential for lodgers

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, stokiescum said:

Ultimately maybe but electric cars will be a thing for how long is the question but I’d rather have more space not less and like you said potential for lodgers

That's true

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Frank Hovis
7 minutes ago, Loki said:

I'm not sure...I think private cars for most are going away.  

Yep.

No garage or drive = no EV.

Anyone else who wants a car will have to try to keep on the road their ageing ICE for as long as they possibly can.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

King Penda
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yep.

No garage or drive = no EV.

Anyone else who wants a car will have to try to keep on the road their ageing ICE for as long as they possibly can.

The general public has not caught onto this yet but when it does houses with garages drives will rocket .there will be a growth industry of letting others use your charge point for a large profit has well lol particularly houses within walking distance of town centres and even daft things like near football grounds.

Edited by stokiescum
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Frank Hovis
2 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

The general public has not caught onto this yet but when it does houses with garages drives will rocket .there will be a growth industry of letting others use your charge point for a large profit has well lol particularly houses within walking distance of town centres and even daft things like near football grounds.

You had better buy that house with all the parking and then you can convert it into individual charging spots and make loads!

  • Lol 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With a crooked smile
7 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yep.

No garage or drive = no EV.

Anyone else who wants a car will have to try to keep on the road their ageing ICE for as long as they possibly can.

Am I missing something here will local authorities not just stick charging points down the street and charge a combined parking and charging fee? Seems an obvious revenue raiser and I'm sure like the whole smart meter thing whole new industries will be created to install this new infrastructure? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

King Penda
1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

You had better buy that house with all the parking and then you can convert it into individual charging spots and make loads!

I’ve actually just had a far better idea I just don’t have the intelligence of how to do it it could be a realy stupid idea or an excellent one.em 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

King Penda
3 minutes ago, With a crooked smile said:

Am I missing something here will local authorities not just stick charging points down the street and charge a combined parking and charging fee? Seems an obvious revenue raiser and I'm sure like the whole smart meter thing whole new industries will be created to install this new infrastructure? 

How many cars are there in the uk and how fast will they be converted to electric 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With a crooked smile
1 minute ago, stokiescum said:

How many cars are there in the uk and how fast will they be converted to electric 

Yeah I know what your saying although we seem to be the only ones in our village who buy both our cars outright and then typically drive them till they die. 

Where I am most households either seem to have 2 new (0-4 years old) cars presumably leased? 

Or one new car and an older sometimes originally more expensive 4x4. 

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

King Penda
Just now, With a crooked smile said:

Yeah I know what your saying although we seem to be the only ones in our village who buy both our cars outright and then typically drive them till they die. 

Where I am most households either seem to have 2 new (0-4 years old) cars presumably leased? 

Or one new car and an older sometimes originally more expensive 4x4. 

Will pressure be brought on leasing company’s to push the agenda ie shorted leases towards the electric roll out the closer we get towards d day.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Frank Hovis
2 minutes ago, With a crooked smile said:

Am I missing something here will local authorities not just stick charging points down the street and charge a combined parking and charging fee? Seems an obvious revenue raiser and I'm sure like the whole smart meter thing whole new industries will be created to install this new infrastructure? 

That would be the case if the desire was to have everyone who is currently driving a car switching to an EV.

I don't think that is the desire because despite Boris knocking five years off the ban on selling new ICE cars from 2035 to 2030 there was no mention of the necessary increased power generation or widescale charging infrastructure that would be required to support this.

Plus the government grant on buying an EV was reduced last year.

So whilst what you suggest is certainly very possible it does not however look to me like it is the intention.

 

Whilst I have no inside knowledge of this I have been experiencing 18 months of varying degrees of inconvenience as the gas board replaces the old piping.

18 months for maybe a hundred homes in three streets and still not looking anywhere near finished.

This is why I think for most people without a garage or drive an accessible overnight charging space will be a pipe dream.

It simply cannot be rolled out in eight and a half years and, as there is not even talk of such a programme beginning, it isn't going to have eight and a half years.

 

This is why I think that the number of car registrations in the UK will start slowly declining from 2030 and that decline will accelerate until plateauing when only about a third of current driver's still have a car.

  • Agree 4
  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

King Penda
3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

That would be the case if the desire was to have everyone who is currently driving a car switching to an EV.

I don't think that is the desire because despite Boris knocking five years off the ban on selling new ICE cars from 2035 to 2030 there was no mention of the necessary increased power generation or widescale charging infrastructure that would be required to support this.

Plus the government grant on buying an EV was reduced last year.

So whilst what you suggest is certainly very possible it does not however look to me like it is the intention.

 

Whilst I have no inside knowledge of this I have been experiencing 18 months of varying degrees of inconvenience as the gas board replaces the old piping.

18 months for maybe a hundred homes in three streets and still not looking anywhere near finished.

This is why I think for most people without a garage or drive an accessible overnight charging space will be a pipe dream.

It simply cannot be rolled out in eight and a half years and, as there is not even talk of such a programme beginning, it isn't going to have eight and a half years.

 

This is why I think that the number of car registrations in the UK will start slowly declining from 2030 and that decline will accelerate until plateauing when only about a third of current driver's still have a car.

That’s where my daft idea actually comes in.

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

With a crooked smile

@Frank Hovis thanks for above quite informative.

Ive not really followed the whole EV thing for a few reasons. Firstly we typically buy low mileage 4 years old cars as they seem reasonable value at this point. Normally drive them till they need to be scraped but also where we live 4x4s are a more sensible choice from a safety point of view. Sure you don't 100% need one but when it's icey the roads aren't gritted and you appreciate the extra grip. 

Modern 4x4s eV range is laughable. 

I can't see charging points coming to rural areas ever / for a long time. Given a choice I'd rather we had 5G coverage. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

King Penda
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, With a crooked smile said:

@Frank Hovis thanks for above quite informative.

Ive not really followed the whole EV thing for a few reasons. Firstly we typically buy low mileage 4 years old cars as they seem reasonable value at this point. Normally drive them till they need to be scraped but also where we live 4x4s are a more sensible choice from a safety point of view. Sure you don't 100% need one but when it's icey the roads aren't gritted and you appreciate the extra grip. 

Modern 4x4s eV range is laughable. 

I can't see charging points coming to rural areas ever / for a long time. Given a choice I'd rather we had 5G coverage. 

People will be forced closer to work ie cities or they will take local but less well paid jobs this could see house prices drop in rural areas

Edited by stokiescum
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chewing Grass
5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I don't think that is the desire because despite Boris knocking five years off the ban on selling new ICE cars from 2035 to 2030 there was no mention of the necessary increased power generation or widescale charging infrastructure that would be required to support this.

Simple calc Frank, 32 million cars on the road in the UK averaging 8,000 miles per year.

Average EV uses 0.333 kwh per mile.

Gets big calculator out.

Equals 8.5245E+10 kwh

Now smooth this out perfectly over 24x365 hours for a year.

That's 9.73GW of generation or 5 brand new 2GW Nuclear reactors more than we have now running all year continuously.

As I type the UK is generating a total 1.97GW from wind.

Remeber, Uncle Klaus says by 2030 you will own nothing and go nowhere.

  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Frank Hovis
2 minutes ago, With a crooked smile said:

@Frank Hovis thanks for above quite informative.

Ive not really followed the whole EV thing for a few reasons. Firstly we typically buy low mileage 4 years old cars as they seem reasonable value at this point. Normally drive them till they need to be scraped but also where we live 4x4s are a more sensible choice from a safety point of view. Sure you don't 100% need one but when it's icey the roads aren't gritted and you appreciate the extra grip. 

Modern 4x4s eV range is laughable. 

I can't see charging points coming to rural areas ever / for a long time. Given a choice I'd rather we had 5G coverage. 

I've had my current car for eleven years and put 160k of the 180k miles on it.

In one sense an EV would be ideal because I have solar panels and an integral garage so fuel becomes free and charging easy.

That isn't however enough to make up for the big purchase price and the lack of charging infrastructure generally to allow longer journeys.

Therefore I will buy a nearly new "link" car, Berlingo type that I can easily switch between micro camper and car, which will probably be diesel and would, with the lower mileage that I am now doing, would likely last for fifteen years without major expense by which point the price of EVs will have come down (or hydrogen cells will have replaced them!) and there should be decent amounts of in-journey charging available.

Then I buy an EV or hydrogen cell.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...