• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Hurricane Irma - Category 5

I think this storm deserves its own thread. Despite the Daily Mail's focus on Richard Branson - he has good PR or good friends at the DM methinks - this storm is truly frightening.

Whilst the news focus is on when it hits the US, and RB of course, the rality is that, right now, it is Category 5 and is striking a whole host of islands in the Caribbean. It is quite likely that it will have diminished by the time it hits the US coast but, right now, there are reports of total devastation of some of the Caribbean islands. It is not just the super rich who live there - you know, pro migration to the UK folks like Richard Branson - but ordinary men, women and kids who live in not the most secure of homes.

Interesting video here on what a CAT 5 hurricane does to a modern home.

Cat 5 on small islands (therefore not much energy loss from the land) is serious stuff, those places are going to be a mess.

I would guess this won't come directly onshore in Florida at that intensity and at a high density population point, they hardly ever do, from memory they weaken and turn and cruise up the coast, but if it does, it'll be a real biggie, there will hardly be a house standing properly for 5 miles inland. Cuba will be cacking it too.

7 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Good demonstration video that one.

Hurrricanes are like women, warm and  wet when they arrive and then they take away your house, car and leave you with nothing..

I know that one as "a lot of sucking and blowing and when you come to your senses the house and car have gone"

Latest is:-

Hurricane Irma has set another record, having sustained max wind speeds of 185 miles per hour for more than 24 hours - so becoming the only Atlantic hurricane to sustain that powerful wind speed for so long.

The last hurricane is maintain such winds for even close to that long was hurricane Allen, which hit northern Mexico and southern Texas in 1980. Allen had winds of 180 mph and above for around 18 hours.

So its officially mahooosive.

Some say hurricanes start with the beat of a butterflies wing.

3 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I know the bvi's and some of its people very well. If I was religious I would be praying for them.

Yes on a more serious note I suppose on islands less trees and more stone/concrete built housing, so should fare better than some US mainland locations?

I often have empathy and I'm definitely not a psycho. Although I did score fairly high on one of those online test things.....

I see things like this and only think thank fuck I wasn't on holiday there when this happened. I can't be the only one...:ph34r:

4 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Yes on a more serious note I suppose on islands less trees and more stone/concrete built housing, so should fare better than some US mainland locations?

Mainly low build stuff but I am thinking of the sailing and diving  community. They will almost certainly be wiped out. Even Soper's hole, known for being a safe haven, won't be enough for this one.

31 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Reminds me more and more what a lovely place the UK was - until others fucked it up.

Interesting that Branson decided to stay - wonder if there are tax reasons for him not flying out to the US or back to the UK?

Probably not. Uk (used to) has rule for residency for tax purposes if in the UK for more than 90 days in a tax year. It never used to include day of entry and exit (potentially allowing up 193 days in the UK - most weeks Mon-Fri) but I believe it does now. 

2 hours ago, Chewing Grass said:

Some say hurricanes start with the beat of a butterflies wing.

I think "The Serpent's Coil"  by Farley Mowet starts something like that.  Good read.

I recall there was two 'B' movies from the 2000's about a Category 6 Hurricane, followed by the sequel - Category 7: The End of the World.

Trump was not mentioned in either IIRC, so we are probably OK.

21 minutes ago, Panther said:

I hope Branston fucking dies, hoping Bono is on some hideaway out there too

Something to relish.

Big cheese in a pickle.

Edited by XswampyX