• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
WorkingPoor

'incident' at Caernarfon Airport

Potential crash scene at Caernarfon AirportImage copyrightGWYNETH BELLIS Image captionHolyhead Coastguard said the Air Accidents Investigation Branch had been informed about the incident

Police are dealing with an "incident" at an airport in north Wales.

North Wales Police‏ said officers were called to Caernarfon Airport in Gwynedd at about 18:30 BST on Wednesday.

The ambulance and fire service have also been sent to the scene, but no further details are available at present.

One eyewitness told BBC Wales: "The plane was coming down far too quickly." Authorities have yet to confirm if there has been a plane crash.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-41180580

Suicide? Terrorism related? 

Edited by WorkingPoor

Bought the farm - which, considering where the airfield is, is very apt.

Looked at some photos on twitter and it looks overcast. Light aircraft tend not to explode upon crashing - they tend to just crumple up. Wondering whether it had just taken off, fueled up, and then decided to return. Wild speculation of course.

I know this airport very well - has a big wind turbine alongside the runway. Not the first time a plane has crashed there - someone clipped a tree and flipped a few years back (two fatalities I think). The caravan park is right on the approach - I am amazed anyone would want to be so close to landing aircraft.

Its more like a well used airfield.

Very popular with amatuer flyers but in a very exposed position, has had a fair few incidents over the years.

Calling it an airport is bulling it up.

The caravan park is very downmarket as are its seasonal occupants in general.

This is suspect:

Dogwalker Mark Hancock, a guest at the nearby Morfa Lodge Holiday Park, told the Daily Post he had seen what appeared to be a twin-engined plane crash.

He said: "The first thing I noticed was that the plane had no landing gear on. Then I realised it was going too fast.

"It came in and hit the tarmac and loads of debris came off it, it was a sort of belly flop and it bounced up.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/06/pilot-dies-plane-crashes-caernarfon-airport/

Edited by WorkingPoor

34 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

Ah, elderly pilot! say no more 

Pilot licences should be revoked at 55 IMO

The medicals and hoops you have to jump through are fairly strict to keep your licence. Elderly folk in automatic vehicles tend to do a better job of killing people.

1 hour ago, WorkingPoor said:

"Speared in" as it is known in the trade

I went to a shout where the pilot had done just that.

I heard on the grapevine afterwards that he was newly qualified and had only recently acquired a plane. In his excitement (or something) he'd taken off forgetting to put fuel in the tanks. 

He did a lap of the airfield and stuffed it into a field about ten seconds later. 

I think the only positive to be gained from his point of view was that his lack of fuel meant he didn't explode on impact and burn to death.

That said, judging by the state of him when we got there, I doubt he lasted long enough to appreciate this small mercy.

Edited by Sgt Hartman

7 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I went to a shout where the pilot had done just that.

I heard on the grapevine afterwards that he was newly qualified and had only recently acquired a plane. In his excitement (or something) he'd taken off forgetting to put fuel in the tanks. 

He did a lap of the airfield and stuffed it into a field about ten seconds later. 

I think the only positive to be gained from his point of view was that his lack of fuel meant he didn't explode on impact and burn to death.

That said, judging by the state of him when we got there, I doubt he lasted long enough to appreciate this small mercy.

Darwin Award candidate? 

Ok here we go, Austria Airshow a couple of years ago

It's the thud that gets me every time! 

Just before this he was buzzing the crowd at about 20ft

Absolute best "Spear in" ever, that's gonna take some topping! 

Edited by WorkingPoor

5 hours ago, OurDayWillCome said:

The medicals and hoops you have to jump through are fairly strict to keep your licence. Elderly folk in automatic vehicles tend to do a better job of killing people.

Hey, that's me.O.o