DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Tips on strawberry plants

MrXxxx

Planted some Strawberry in the garden last year and they didn't produce much fruit per plant, so this year I have dug them up, stuck each of them in a planter about 6" deep x 6" dia, with about 1" gravel in the bottom and then a mix of 1 part compost/5 parts soil/2 parts sand. Put them in a wind free location that catches the sun and watered them once a week with tomato plant liquid feed about a week ago. They are showing about a third more foliage and have got a couple of flowers....now what should I do to get more fruit this year?

Bobthebuilder
8 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

Planted some Strawberry in the garden last year and they didn't produce much fruit per plant, so this year I have dug them up, stuck each of them in a planter about 6" deep x 6" dia, with about 1" gravel in the bottom and then a mix of 1 part compost/5 parts soil/2 parts sand. Put them in a wind free location that catches the sun and watered them once a week with tomato plant liquid feed about a week ago. They are showing about a third more foliage and have got a couple of flowers....now what should I do to get more fruit this year?

High potash feed. Chempak 4 is ideal.

MrXxxx
12 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

1948185838_IMG_20210515_165221(2).thumb.jpg.07aa8e005c56c69f93154f5431368f5b.jpg

Blimey, wish mine had that many flowers...must get some ChemPak then!...thanks.

Bobthebuilder
2 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

Blimey, wish mine had that many flowers...must get some ChemPak then!...thanks.

Been feeding them for about a month. It is really good stuff, great for tomatoes, fruit, and flowers.

MrXxxx
42 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Been feeding them for about a month. It is really good stuff, great for tomatoes, fruit, and flowers.

Just checked the Tomato food I have been watering them with and its NPK 4/5/9 so with the high K this seems ideal...and on a closer look one of the plants has about 10 flower buds on it, so its better than I thought...just moved them to a sunnier area of the garden as well, so that should do the trick!

• Cheers 2