DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Tips on strawberry plants

MrXxxx

Planted some Strawberry in the garden last year and they didn't produce much fruit per plant, so this year I have dug them up, stuck each of them in a planter about 6" deep x 6" dia, with about 1" gravel in the bottom and then a mix of 1 part compost/5 parts soil/2 parts sand. Put them in a wind free location that catches the sun and watered them once a week with tomato plant liquid feed about a week ago. They are showing about a third more foliage and have got a couple of flowers....now what should I do to get more fruit this year?

Bobthebuilder
8 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

Planted some Strawberry in the garden last year and they didn't produce much fruit per plant, so this year I have dug them up, stuck each of them in a planter about 6" deep x 6" dia, with about 1" gravel in the bottom and then a mix of 1 part compost/5 parts soil/2 parts sand. Put them in a wind free location that catches the sun and watered them once a week with tomato plant liquid feed about a week ago. They are showing about a third more foliage and have got a couple of flowers....now what should I do to get more fruit this year?

High potash feed. Chempak 4 is ideal.

Bobthebuilder
2 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

Blimey, wish mine had that many flowers...must get some ChemPak then!...thanks.

Been feeding them for about a month. It is really good stuff, great for tomatoes, fruit, and flowers.

42 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Been feeding them for about a month. It is really good stuff, great for tomatoes, fruit, and flowers.

Just checked the Tomato food I have been watering them with and its NPK 4/5/9 so with the high K this seems ideal...and on a closer look one of the plants has about 10 flower buds on it, so its better than I thought...just moved them to a sunnier area of the garden as well, so that should do the trick!

• Cheers 2

• 2 months later...

OK, so I had my first crop of strawberries; about 5 small ones [2cm] per plant ...not impressed as these are second year plants!....is there a way to get them to crop again this year?...i feed every second week with Tomato plant food and have cut off any runners that appear, so what is it that I am doing wrong?

Note each plant is in a free-draining pot about 20-25cm dia by 20--25cm deep.

Bobthebuilder
19 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

OK, so I had my first crop of strawberries; about 5 small ones [2cm] per plant ...not impressed as these are second year plants!....is there a way to get them to crop again this year?...i feed every second week with Tomato plant food and have cut off any runners that appear, so what is it that I am doing wrong?

Could be the variety, I suppose. Mine are all finished, I have even thrown some in the compost bin as I had too many plants anyway.

The plants in my photo above were grown from last year's runners.

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

#

Not enough water.

5 hours ago, sarahbell said:

#

Not enough water.

Sorry didn't explain myself very well, I am watering every day/second day depending on the weather, its every week/second week I am giving them a feed.

Bobthebuilder
3 minutes ago, MrXxxx said:

Sorry didn't explain myself very well, I am watering every day/second day depending on the weather, its every week/second week I am giving them a feed.

I start feeding in March. My thoughts are the plant needs the flowering feed early on to promote a good yield.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

Just installed six composters.  Each about 700 litres in volume.  Three black with lids and three wooden slatted, each set in two separate locations.  A tidy install as I built wooden borders, used chippings, levelled with sand, etc.  The worms, etc can easily access.  The black ones are almost full already from some composting stuff we had in builder's bags from last year.  Nice and hot in there so hope it'll be quick.  Will chip cuttings for the others to increase the composted volume and speed the process.  Nice to finally have it all sorted but may need more!

Edited by Harley
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Harley said:

Just installed six composters.  Each about 700 litres in volume.  Three black with lids and three wooden slatted, each set in two separate locations.  A tidy install as I built wooden borders, used chippings, levelled with sand, etc.  The worms, etc can easily access.  The black ones are almost full already from some composting stuff we had in builder's bags from last year.  Nice and hot in there so hope it'll be quick.  Will chip cuttings for the others to increase the composted volume and speed the process.  Nice to finally have it all sorted but may need more!

Just confirmation for the confused that this has indeed been posted in the wrong thread! :)

2 hours ago, Harley said:

Just confirmation for the confused that this has indeed been posted in the wrong thread! :)

OK, I won't be going 'long' on compost bins then! :-)))

• Lol 1

11 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Or 700l for growing strawberries.

I think they got the wooden ones wrong.  More like 550.  The black ones I can believe - massive Dalek looking things! 

Had my fourth bowl of home grown strawberries today.  Top stuff.  Subtlety different from shop bought.  Shop bought stuff generally tastes like a nod to the real thing but not quite it.

• Agree 1

On 17/07/2021 at 19:40, MrXxxx said:

Too much water. Too much of the wrong sort of food will also make them put out green growth in preference to fruit.

Edited by sarahbell
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Too much water. Too much of the wrong sort of food will also make them put out green growth in preference to fruit.

Thanks, I didn't think of that...and I knew it as its the same to get cacti to flower...right, they are on desert rations for a few days to make them think they are going to die and so need to propagate.

You need low N and high P feed. If you feed them high "N" then you get loads of green growth and no fruit. Sounds to me like you used that. You could try Tomorite which is cheap and will do the trick.

It also depends when you start feeding them. Generally it's best when the flowers start to appear.

I had a great crop this year, first big harvest one in 2 years since I planted. Shame the birds got most of them :(

What variety are you growing?

If you want multiple / long cropping you need to sacrifice flavour, and get something like Elsanta. The taste is quite disappointing and I'm not convinced its worth it , but if you're skilled you can get them to crop in September.

Much better IMPO to have one very tasty crop in June/July.

Edited by spunko

Bobthebuilder
8 minutes ago, spunko said:

You need low N and high P feed. If you feed them high "N" then you get loads of green growth and no fruit. Sounds to me like you used that.

I use Chempak no 4, it has a picture of a big strawberry on the box.