DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Drones

AlfredTheLittle

Anyone have much knowledge of them? I'm looking for a recommendation for a drone with camera I could get for my 13 year old son. Don't really want to go by Amazon reviews as they're all fake these days!

• Agree 1
Bear Hug
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

Anyone have much knowledge of them? I'm looking for a recommendation for a drone with camera I could get for my 13 year old son. Don't really want to go by Amazon reviews as they're all fake these days!

If your budget is under £350, could get mavic mini. Fewer restrictions when flying near people as it's under 250g. Seen them used for under £250 on Facebook marketplace sometimes. 

Lots of various mavics (air, pro, etc) on FB market place too, going quite cheap, now that operator ID is required. 

If you want a toy no camera one, Syma is good enough. I got one for £30 and additional batteries were cheap. 

Edited by Bear Hug
  • Informative 1
AlfredTheLittle
1 minute ago, Bear Hug said:

If your budget is under £350, could get mavic mini. Fewer restrictions when flying near people as it's under 250g. Seen them used for under £250 on Facebook marketplace sometimes. 

Lots of various mavics (air, pro, etc) on FB market place too, going quite cheap, not that operator I'd is now required. 

If you want a toy no camera one, Syma is good enough. I got one for £30 and additional batteries were cheap. 

Thank you - budget is definitely under £350, preferably closer to £100 but I guess the £100 ones might well not be worth bothering with, I'll take a look at the mavic mini, thanks.

Bear Hug
15 minutes ago, AlfredTheLittle said:

Thank you - budget is definitely under £350, preferably closer to £100 but I guess the £100 ones might well not be worth bothering with, I'll take a look at the mavic mini, thanks.

There is a huge gap between cheap ones and mavics in terms of camera as far as I can tell, but there are lots for sale used these days. People buy them, and some never even fly probably. I only flew once myself this year: not great weather recently. 

If you are near Reading and want Syma for free, let me know. Doubt I'll use it any time soon, will probably end up giving away on FB if can be bothered to list it. 

• Informative 1
AlfredTheLittle
1 hour ago, Bear Hug said:

There is a huge gap between cheap ones and mavics in terms of camera as far as I can tell, but there are lots for sale used these days. People buy them, and some never even fly probably. I only flew once myself this year: not great weather recently. 

If you are near Reading and want Syma for free, let me know. Doubt I'll use it any time soon, will probably end up giving away on FB if can be bothered to list it. 

I'm not near reading, but thanks anyway. Been looking at the reviews, the Mavic mini does look good, but as you say it may well end up barely getting used so £300 odd tof probably not worth the risk, I'll probably  wait another year or two while the price comes down. Even if used, it may just fly away and be lost like in a review I read! 😁

• Agree 1
Andersen

If you're not in a rush, register at Hobbyking to get regular offers - be prepared for customs charges (not Brexit - that is  only being applied sending *out* of UK), I'm out of touch but they used to do good kit at good prices, reviews were honest. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/aircraft/drones.html 

Iamcynical

My mate has a mini mavic.  It's very good.  Seemed to cope pretty well with gusts also.