DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

New gas boiler / proposed ban from 2025

Frank Hovis

Question

Frank Hovis

Prompted by ths story:

The International Energy Agency (IEA) says that no new fossil fuel boilers should be sold from 2025 if the world is to achieve net-zero emissions by the middle of this century.

It's one of 400 steps on the road to net-zero proposed by the agency in a special report.

The sale of new petrol and diesel cars around the world would end by 2035.

The IEA says that from now, there is no place for new coal, oil or gas exploration or supplies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-57149059

I am tempted to beat what may be a final rush coming up.  I'm of course aware that this is simply a proposal which may carry as much weight as the initia proposal for FM radio switch off in 2002 but the IEA propsal for banning ICE car sales from 2035 has been leapt upon and exceeded by the heavily-compromised-by-the-globalists Boris and brought forward to 2030.

As background for those who don't track such things gas is an incredibly cheap energy source and therefore ideal for systems that have big energy consumption like central heating or, for that matter, gas fired power stations.

My electricty is 17p per kWh and gas is 3p per kWh.  For my supplier the daily standing charge for each is pretty much identical.

My gas boiler is very old, maybe forty years or more, but when I had my gas pipes refitted last year and the tester came in to check the supply was adequate he said that it was working fine.  It fires the central heating - eight radiators - and the hot water.  Though it has lost some of its functionality in the associated control system so isn't "as good as new".

As gas is so cheap I have no interest in anything energy-efficient, and therefore complex and likely to break down, but wouldn't mind replacing the robust one which has lasted over forty years with another robust one that will last another forty if such are still available.

Are there any good candidates for this or have I already missed the boat and only the fragile eco ones, that break down in cold weather because of the condenser pipe, which are available these days?

17 answers to this question

Bobthebuilder
Just now, Loki said:

Blimey, good news.  The last time I looked into it they were worried about embrittlement and leaks. 

No, gas safe have confirmed no such problems with the smaller gas molecules. TBO most domestic gas system leak a little bit anyway, we are allowed at least a 4mb drop in gas pressure over 2 minutes, that's a pretty big leak.

• Informative 1

onlyme
22 minutes ago, Loki said:

Blimey, good news.  The last time I looked into it they were worried about embrittlement and leaks. 

High pressure tanks and embrittlement is another story, but talking extreme high pressure compared to supply pipes. We're actually on a "high" pressure supply with special reducer on the gas supply and get extra checks I think than usual due to that.  

• Informative 1

Bobthebuilder

You can replace the old one with any "heat only" boiler such as Vaillant, Worcester, Baxi or Ideal. If you get a good ie expensive or top of the range model it would come with a ten-year warranty if installed by a registered fitter.

All new boilers will be condensing, but regular servicing would keep it going years beyond after the ten-year warranty period.

240 different models here..

https://www.mrcentralheating.co.uk/boilers/boilers-by-brand?boiler_type=30817

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

onlyme

I've grown wary of Worcester Bosch reliability and pricing.  My plumber agreed too, went for Ideal, long warranty -10 year and seems do the job thus far. As Bob says, they will be all be modern affairs. If you really want to go prepper buy two and keep one for spares /swap in the loft, savings from gas usage would pay for it over the warranted lifetime vs your current.

• Agree 1

One percent
9 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

You can replace the old one with any "heat only" boiler such as Vaillant, Worcester, Baxi or Ideal. If you get a good ie expensive or top of the range model it would come with a ten-year warranty if installed by a registered fitter.

All new boilers will be condensing, but regular servicing would keep it going years beyond after the ten-year warranty period.

240 different models here..

https://www.mrcentralheating.co.uk/boilers/boilers-by-brand?boiler_type=30817

I’ve got an ideal 18 months ago on the recommendation of my trusted local plumber. Ten year guarantee and he services it yearly for 40 quid to keep the warranty going. Cheap as chips to run. 

• Agree 2

Bobthebuilder
11 minutes ago, onlyme said:

I've grown wary of Worcester Bosch reliability and pricing.  My plumber agreed too, went for Ideal, long warranty -10 year and seems do the job thus far. As Bob says, they will be all be modern affairs. If you really want to go prepper buy two and keep one for spares /swap in the loft, savings from gas usage would pay for it over the warranted lifetime vs your current.

I had an old Vaillant turbo max in my house. I was at the suppliers linked above about 5 years ago when they told me the prices were going up, so I bought a new Vaillant ecotec for £960. I installed it last year, that boiler is now £1540.

ps Worcester are a nightmare to work on.

• Informative 1

onlyme
1 minute ago, Bobthebuilder said:

I had an old Vaillant turbo max in my house. I was at the suppliers linked above about 5 years ago when they told me the prices were going up, so I bought a new Vaillant ecotec for £960. I installed it last year, that boiler is now £1540.

ps Worcester are a nightmare to work on.

Vaillant was what I was looking at first, plumber was very familiar with the Ideal so went that way in the end plus managed to get one overstock but new.  

Biggest worry is that what happens to parts supplies when there is no new stock being sold, can these companies keep going at all and feed off marginally off the parts supply?

Bobthebuilder
3 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Vaillant was what I was looking at first, plumber was very familiar with the Ideal so went that way in the end plus managed to get one overstock but new.  

Biggest worry is that what happens to parts supplies when there is no new stock being sold, can these companies keep going at all and feed off marginally off the parts supply?

Vaillant still sell parts for the turbo max which is over 25 years old now.

These reports come out all the time, just more newsworthy with the climate brigade at the moment. First time I heard it was 2008 when they said no gas boilers to be fitted in new build from 2012. Of course that just went silent and never happened. Same with non A rated pumps, supposed to have been banned from April 2020, also never happened. I wonder who writes these press releases.

• Informative 2

Bobthebuilder
53 minutes ago, Loki said:

@Bobthebuilder What do you reckon about old Johnson and Starley warm air heating being compatible? 

Most of those have been ripped out and replaced by now @Loki. They still make condensing warm air heaters, but I don't know much about them, I'm afraid.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Most of those have been ripped out and replaced by now @Loki. They still make condensing warm air heaters, but I don't know much about them, I'm afraid.

Thanks.  My folks still have one, it works fine, be a shame to scrap it for the hydrogen roll-out.

(I don't know why people rip on WAH.  No rads, no bleeding, no Fernox, "instant" heat.)

Bobthebuilder
3 minutes ago, Loki said:

Thanks.  My folks still have one, it works fine, be a shame to scrap it for the hydrogen roll-out.

Nothing will need to be scrapped for the hydrogen roll out.

This is the bit everyone does not understand. They will add hydrogen to the gas supply, 20% at first then increase as time moves on. All current gas appliances including your parents WAH will be fine with the 20% mix with no alterations required. That is fact as stated by the gas safe regulator.

All new boilers from 2025 will be able to run on 100% gas to 100% hydrogen or any other mix in between No pipes in the road or gas meters will need to be changed.

It is already happening. 680 homes in Gateshead are already on 20% mix.

• Informative 3

Just now, Bobthebuilder said:

Nothing will need to be scrapped for the hydrogen roll out.

This is the bit everyone does not understand. They will add hydrogen to the gas supply, 20% at first then increase as time moves on. All current gas appliances including your parents WAH will be fine with the 20% mix with no alterations required. That is fact as stated by the gas safe regulator.

All new boilers from 2025 will be able to run on 100% gas to 100% hydrogen or any other mix in between No pipes in the road or gas meters will need to be changed.

It is already happening. 680 homes in Gateshead are already on 20% mix.

5 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

No, gas safe have confirmed no such problems with the smaller gas molecules. TBO most domestic gas system leak a little bit anyway, we are allowed at least a 4mb drop in gas pressure over 2 minutes, that's a pretty big leak.

Cheers for that!

Sasquatch

Our plumber will be installing a new Ideal gas boiler in our house. We're ditching the ancient oil boiler system. As others have said we will get either a 10 or 12 year warranty as the plumber is on the approved installed list.

We're thinking of going for a secondhand Falcon dual fuel cooker for the kitchen as well (gas hobs, electric ovens). Not sure about an all gas model as have always had some kind of electric cooking facility. 

One percent
4 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Our plumber will be installing a new Ideal gas boiler in our house. We're ditching the ancient oil boiler system. As others have said we will get either a 10 or 12 year warranty as the plumber is on the approved installed list.

We're thinking of going for a secondhand Falcon dual fuel cooker for the kitchen as well (gas hobs, electric ovens). Not sure about an all gas model as have always had some kind of electric cooking facility. 

Ive an induction hob. Always had gas and really wasn’t sure. It really is as responsive as a gas hob. 

• Agree 1