DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Solar panels, inverters etc

nirvana

Question

nirvana

Please point me to a cheap inverter for this panel please ie something on aliexpress would be good

Bluetooth would be funky to monitor stuff on a mobile/computer

I'm a bit confused with the voltages these things pump out. ie this is 34.3v so is that aimed towards a 24v system? or 48v with 2 in series?

49aa13d16ebaa652182f27703da0a36c6984cdbd.jpg

3 answers to this question

onlyme

You've mentioned panel and inverter but not what you want to do with it.

Power up a bank of 12 V batteries, i.e. standalone system, or even just a system that works in daylight with no batteries (not very reliable that option).

Feed 240v back to the grid?

Voltage output of panels relate to their size and particular construction and is fairly nominal, apart form the 12V and smaller ones they are mainly just designed to  provide a suitable ish voltage for an inverter to work off.

• Cheers 1

nirvana
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, onlyme said:

You've mentioned panel and inverter but not what you want to do with it.

Power up a bank of 12 V batteries, i.e. standalone system, or even just a system that works in daylight with no batteries (not very reliable that option).

Feed 240v back to the grid?

good point, fuck the grid, I'm Mr Independent lol

So yes charging batteries......maybe a 48v system for house and if I get around to buying another van, 12v system for camping

thanks!

so let's say I'm after a 40amp inverter...cos 375/12=31.25amps

what's the difference between this one at 20 bucks

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33059726550.html

and this one at nearly 100 bucks, apart a separate display and/or bluetooth?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000211956813.html

Edited by nirvana

onlyme
1 hour ago, nirvana said:

good point, fuck the grid, I'm Mr Independent lol

So yes charging batteries......maybe a 48v system for house and if I get around to buying another van, 12v system for camping

thanks!

so let's say I'm after a 40amp inverter...cos 375/12=31.25amps

what's the difference between this one at 20 bucks

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33059726550.html

and this one at nearly 100 bucks, apart a separate display and/or bluetooth?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000211956813.html

The 40A seems about right with a little bit of overhead vs rated panel peak power - should check other characteristics as well like peak open circuit voltage.  There seems to be a significant difference in bluetooth enabled devices and one built to a higher specification could have better components all round, no guarantee, but it could have. everything form China is built to a price. Also be aware lots of copies of the same design. A separate display and bluetooth in this instance really nice to have, a lot of faff having to plug something in like a laptop for the usb monitoring for example.

You have multiple uses, so I'd suggest not going the ultra cheap end unless just to play with.  Will have to go up the price range anyway if going 48V, I'd be tempted to stick with 24V so that there are more devices available across the board - you are not going to be powering anything very large with a 375W panel driven setup most likely round a house so cable weight is not necessarily a primary concern - which would d be one reason to go for 48V.

• Cheers 1