DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Turmeric

Hancock

Hancock

As i've given up on the NHS, looking for alternative ways to sort out the inflammatory of my trachea.

Got acupuncture booked for this week, and was looking to buy some tumeric tablets.

Anyone know of worthwhile tablets, or is it just easier to take 1/4 of a teaspoon of whats on the herb and spice rack a couple of times a day

Roger_Mellie
42 minutes ago, Hancock said:

As i've given up on the NHS, looking for alternative ways to sort out the inflammatory of my trachea.

Got acupuncture booked for this week, and was looking to buy some tumeric tablets.

Anyone know of worthwhile tablets, or is it just easier to take 1/4 of a teaspoon of whats on the herb and spice rack a couple of times a day

Make some golden paste and put it in the fridge. Turmeric, coconut oil and pepper. Bizarrely, a teaspoon of it is quite nice in a glass of milk. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

SpectrumFX
38 minutes ago, Hancock said:

I take these ones.

https://www.nutravita.co.uk/products/organic-turmeric-curcumin-with-ginger-black-pepper-for-superior-absorption

If I'm honest I haven't got a clue whether they're helping or not.

I also take fish oil supplements, which are also supposed to help with inflammation. I take these ones.

https://www.seven-seas.com/en_IE/home/product-finder/seven-seas-jointcare-active-capsules.html

These certainly do help me, because if I stop taking them for a couple of weeks my joints go stiff, and I'm an achey mess.

Vitamin D is supposed to help as well, but I'm not sure if this is just if the inflammation is immune system related or whether it helps with more general inflammation.

• Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

Hancock

I've got the tablets with black pepper. I do think they are literally the same stuff you get in the turmeric packets. 

Well if so then so be it. 

You can just get the raw root from your local effnic store. Bloke told me last time I got it that it was doing a roaring trade. Just stick in hot water or your tea or whatever. I slice it finely and put in my spicy soups. 

Tastes ok raw actually. 

If the gym is catching up with me, I'll have a curry with extra turmeric, black pepper, garlic, chilli flakes, fresh ginger, etc. A teaspoon of each

And not plan on seeing anyone the next day...

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

• 1 month later...
gibbon
Posted (edited)
On 19/05/2021 at 23:33, ccc said:

I've got the tablets with black pepper. I do think they are literally the same stuff you get in the turmeric packets. 

Well if so then so be it. 

You can just get the raw root from your local effnic store. Bloke told me last time I got it that it was doing a roaring trade. Just stick in hot water or your tea or whatever. I slice it finely and put in my spicy soups. 

Tastes ok raw actually. 

I make a jug of cold brew green tea to stick in the fridge. 2 x green tea bags, basil, cinnamon, mint, 2x cardamon pods, slice of orange, slice of ginger. Refreshing, easy to make and tasty. Used to use a bit of tumeric as well but if you use just a tiny bit too much it ruins the lot and all you can taste is tumeric. Should give it another go though. 

Edited by gibbon

Hancock
Posted (edited)

13 hours ago, gibbon said:

I make a jug of cold brew green tea to stick in the fridge. 2 x green tea bags, basil, cinnamon, mint, 2x cardamon pods, slice of orange, slice of ginger. Refreshing, easy to make and tasty. Used to use a bit of tumeric as well but if you use just a tiny bit too much it ruins the lot and all you can taste is tumeric. Should give it another go though. 

Cheers, Ive been on the tumeric and had acupuncture the last 6 weeks.

Think its due to being allergic to my dog, pollen, wheat and certain other stuff.

Going to book an appointment with an immunologist.

Edited by Hancock

@Hancock @SpectrumFX @ccc

To all those taking tablets you really should check out the piss-easy recipe for making golden paste, here:

https://www.turmericlife.com.au/blogs/recipes/turmeric-recipes-golden-paste

The point being that turmeric is not easily digestible, and not particularly bioavailable in raw form.

This is massively improved by cooking the turmeric gently, then adding coconut oil and freshly ground black pepper. So easy, then portion off, keep some in freezer and have a week or two's worth in the fridge.

Tastes pretty good actually.

• Informative 2
  • Cheers 1

gibbon
10 hours ago, Hancock said:

Cheers, Ive been on the tumeric and had acupuncture the last 6 weeks.

Think its due to being allergic to my dog, pollen, wheat and certain other stuff.

Going to book an appointment with an immunologist.

Has the Tumeric helped?

52 minutes ago, Hancock said:

No

I've got no idea whether the turmeric would be helpful for your ailment specifically (https://www.turmericforhealth.com/turmeric-benefits/100-awesome-health-benefits-of-turmeric-curcumin), but if it is theoretically beneficial then it's possible that it's because the tablets aren't very good for the bioavailability reasons I mentioned.

I haven't been taking golden paste for long and am not taking to treat anything in particular so can't comment on its effect, but am fairly sure it's going to be beneficial in terms of preventing various ailments down the line :)

• Informative 1

Hancock
13 minutes ago, LC1 said:

I've got no idea whether the turmeric would be helpful for your ailment specifically (https://www.turmericforhealth.com/turmeric-benefits/100-awesome-health-benefits-of-turmeric-curcumin), but if it is theoretically beneficial then it's possible that it's because the tablets aren't very good for the bioavailability reasons I mentioned.

I haven't been taking golden paste for long and am not taking to treat anything in particular so can't comment on its effect, but am fairly sure it's going to be beneficial in terms of preventing various ailments down the line :)

Yes what you say makes sense.

Basically ive got capsules form Holland and Barrett which are no doubt just tumeric in its original form, which as the article says is of limied use.

Since adulthood i've always been fairly phlegmy and got inflammation in trachea area, looking to go down the route of finding out if its allergies to food, dog, dust mites etc.... that are causing it.

The asthma inhalers that the GP hands out don't do jack shite for this kind of inflammation thats for sure!

• Agree 1

DoINeedOne
Posted (edited)
On 19/05/2021 at 20:47, Hancock said:

I normally have Tumeric Powder within a protein shake with nut butter, coconut powder, seeds etc...

Look into high dose Omega 3 too its a great anti-inflammatory 

Also never tried it but apparently lots places sell it New Zealand Green Lipped Mussel powder i only came across this when i was researching something for work to do with arthritis in dogs lots of people were talking about how this help their dogs arthritis, whilst not made specifically for dogs it again contains high amounts of omega 3

Holand and Barret sell it and probably get it on Amazon too check the reviews 

Also check some of your favourite foods alot seed oils contain high Omega 6 with is inflammatory and whilst we need a good ratio of Omega 3:6 our diets these days tend to be full of shitty Omega 6's

Try Keto for 30 days

I did and whilst i don't suffer from Inflammation i found many benefit to it and have cut down on alot foods i used to eat with the odd cheat days

One other thing about Omega 3's When i met my partner her daughter had eczema on one arm which would become sore bleed and being a kid she didn't help by itching it for years Dr's gave here steroid creams that calmed it down for it to just flare up again

I suggested Omega 3 as she doesn't eat fish she took high does tablets for 30 days, honestly she's never had it since and very rarely takes the tablets any more sometimes every 6 months or so her arm starts becoming dry itchy but visually you can't see anything, So then she takes a few omega tablets and she's fine 

Just wish she would eat some fish 

Edited by DoINeedOne
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

Upsettah
On 20/05/2021 at 06:14, Stuey said:

If the gym is catching up with me, I'll have a curry with extra turmeric, black pepper, garlic, chilli flakes, fresh ginger, etc. A teaspoon of each

And not plan on seeing anyone the next day...

Ah, yes, girlfriend thinks I'm a weirdo, but hey-ho - It hits the spot for me and it's good to see someone else has noticed the benefits of that too! I usually add them to a takeaway Thai Red curry, does wonders for the gut - and the brain :-)

Talking Monkey
On 05/07/2021 at 11:27, Hancock said:

Basically ive got capsules form Holland and Barrett which are no doubt just tumeric in its original form, which as the article says is of limied use.

Since adulthood i've always been fairly phlegmy and got inflammation in trachea area, looking to go down the route of finding out if its allergies to food, dog, dust mites etc.... that are causing it.

The asthma inhalers that the GP hands out don't do jack shite for this kind of inflammation thats for sure!

I've been under the weather last 3 weeks like the most mildest flu ever but still under the weather, a tiny bit achy, but loads of phlegm runny nose n shit. Last 3 days I've been doing 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a cup of warm water along with a teaspoon of turmeric and a teaspoon of black pepper and some grated ginger. It really has helped the phlegm, snot thing out. Really cleared it up, I take it morning and night

On 11/07/2021 at 17:51, Talking Monkey said:

I've been under the weather last 3 weeks like the most mildest flu ever but still under the weather, a tiny bit achy, but loads of phlegm runny nose n shit. Last 3 days I've been doing 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a cup of warm water along with a teaspoon of turmeric and a teaspoon of black pepper and some grated ginger. It really has helped the phlegm, snot thing out. Really cleared it up, I take it morning and night

Do you get any complaints about lingering body odour from all these strong flavours? I know a garlicky meal can linger on me the next day and post showering etc. It gets into your bloodstream and then sweat, lungs, etc.

So I have to save curries for when I've a quiet day after...or have a fucking korma.

On 05/07/2021 at 12:27, Hancock said:

I emailed my GP and she booked an appointment for me at a hospital to have allergy tests. It turned out that the ones I had in my childhood were almost gone, even the ones like grass pollen which once caused me misery, but I did have a very strong allergic reaction to dust mites, which was new in adulthood.

If you only have the Ventolin inhaler - the preventer one called Seretide might be effective. I believe it's a form of steroid that helps to prevent inflammation.

Talking Monkey
2 hours ago, Stuey said:

Do you get any complaints about lingering body odour from all these strong flavours? I know a garlicky meal can linger on me the next day and post showering etc. It gets into your bloodstream and then sweat, lungs, etc.

So I have to save curries for when I've a quiet day after...or have a fucking korma.

I don't not from just the tumeric. I would defo if I had garlic

Roger_Mellie
17 hours ago, Stuey said:

We have garlic and onions almost every day. I can't smell garlic, but I'm sure that at work I must be known as (amongst other things) 'the bloke who stinks of garlic'

• Lol 1

Straingone
On 14/07/2021 at 08:41, Roger_Mellie said:

We have garlic and onions almost every day. I can't smell garlic, but I'm sure that at work I must be known as (amongst other things) 'the bloke who stinks of garlic'

I am likely the same. The good thing is that no one has had the chance to smell me for nearly a year and a half.

Fully Detached

I made some turmeric golden paste on Weds and have been using it 3 times a day. Basically over the course fo the last two lockdowns I've let the diet go to shit, drunk too much alcohol and generally done everything wrong, resulting in inflammation, excema and all the usual symptoms. Only 2 days in so too early to report good things but I have faith in this stuff, and that is probably half the battle.

Only thing is it's really not very enjoyable to take. I'm torn between shovelling a teaspoon into my mouth followed by half a gallon of water or dropping it into a ginger tea, which tastes a bit better but takes much longer to get it over and done with.

I also spilled some on the carpet earlier. Turmeric stains are a bitch to get out.

3 hours ago, Fully Detached said:

I made some turmeric golden paste on Weds and have been using it 3 times a day. Basically over the course fo the last two lockdowns I've let the diet go to shit, drunk too much alcohol and generally done everything wrong, resulting in inflammation, excema and all the usual symptoms. Only 2 days in so too early to report good things but I have faith in this stuff, and that is probably half the battle

Only thing is it's really not very enjoyable to take. I'm torn between shovelling a teaspoon into my mouth followed by half a gallon of water or dropping it into a ginger tea, which tastes a bit better but takes much longer to get it over and done with.

I also spilled some on the carpet earlier. Turmeric stains are a bitch to get out.

Turmeric tastes disgusting. As bad as if not worse than beetroot. 

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Turmeric tastes disgusting. As bad as if not worse than beetroot. 

My tea tonight was chicken, hummus, and three whole beetroots... :Old:

I'll be shitting red tomorrow xD 

• Lol 1

• spunko changed the title to Turmeric