• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
spygirl

School discipline

Recommended Posts

Back to school has seen a bunch of pointless uniform nazism storied in the DM - genderless uniforms, no cheap Tesco trosuers allowed here.

All initiated by heads and teachers - the Hitler and Gobbels of the the edustazi.

Its nice to see parent setting her onw terms and standards:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4859606/Mother-refuses-let-daughter-taught-FAT-teacher.html

I say this as someone who had to sit through a 'Healthy lunchbox presentation' given by a woman teacher who was morbidly obese.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Back to school has seen a bunch of pointless uniform nazism storied in the DM - genderless uniforms, no cheap Tesco trosuers allowed here.

All initiated by heads and teachers - the Hitler and Gobbels of the the edustazi.

Its nice to see parent setting her onw terms and standards:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4859606/Mother-refuses-let-daughter-taught-FAT-teacher.html

I say this as someone who had to sit through a 'Healthy lunchbox presentation' given by a woman teacher who was morbidly obese.

My younger son is being taught PE by a morbidly obese woman in her early twenties. I'd agree with Daily Mail woman, it doesn't seem right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

My younger son is being taught PE by a morbidly obese woman in her early twenties. I'd agree with Daily Mail woman, it doesn't seem right.

Ffs who employed a lardy PE teacher? Ask for her to demonstrate a 100m sprint, all the way to the line with a dip, as you have high hopes of your son's athletic potential and would like him to start early. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, swissy_fit said:

Ffs who employed a lardy PE teacher? Ask for her to demonstrate a 100m sprint, all the way to the line with a dip, as you have high hopes of your son's athletic potential and would like him to start early. 

It's a primary school so she teaches most subjects, not just PE.

School sport is truly, truly horrible to behold. I went to watch the school football training once. They felt tackling was too dangerous so there was a no tackling rule, the children were only allowed to intercept passes. Which meant the optimal strategy was just whoever receives the ball from the kick off should never pass just dribble it into the goal. Also they were short of space so they had decided to make a square pitch and have two teams playing left to right and two teams playing up and down, if you see what I mean. It took me about 20 minutes to be convinced by another parent that they weren't doing some bizarre training exercise but were ostensibly playing matches. It was basically football taught by someone who doesn't really understand the structure of football or even the point of doing sport in the first place.

Needless to say I took both my sons out of school football and enrolled them in a local volunteer run club at the weekends.

Edited by Hail the Tripod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dgul said:

IMO sports at school might work for about 10-20% of the pupils, but will put the rest off for life.  I hated 'exercise' until I was about 15, when I realised that sports was in reality something quite different from what went on at school.

Anyway, I sometimes wonder what the hell teachers are doing teaching.  Just the other day I had a parent/teacher evening and asked about double vs individual sciences, and the science teacher said 'don't worry about it, I took double science and now I'm teaching it!' The idiot was so dimwitted that she couldn't see how her statement was the opposite of reassuring.

I did the double science at GCSE, and then physics, chemistry, and biology at A level.

It was a car crash. The double science leaves you woefully ill prepared to tackle each subject at A level.

This was over 20 years ago, so maybe it's got better, but I don't see how it would.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I read/hear from parents/ex-pupils about school in the UK now, the more I realise how lucky I was to go to school in the 70s. We had proper rough sport with school teams run by the teachers on their own time, school fields, non-PC teachers, (not all in a good way but hey) and a higher standard was taught in many subjects IMO especially maths, I had done a year of calculus by age 14! 

Bullying was less well-controlled, both by teachers and pupils, and fat or smelly kids got a hard time. I can't think of anything else that has improved.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

The more I read/hear from parents/ex-pupils about school in the UK now, the more I realise how lucky I was to go to school in the 70s. We had proper rough sport with school teams run by the teachers on their own time, school fields, non-PC teachers, (not all in a good way but hey) and a higher standard was taught in many subjects IMO especially maths, I had done a year of calculus by age 14! 

Bullying was less well-controlled, both by teachers and pupils, and fat or smelly kids got a hard time. I can't think of anything else that has improved.

 

Several families at my kids' schools have left the state system and gone private this year. They were all keen on state school for a variety of reasons, but the degree of antagonism to parents and lack of focus on capable children has completely alienated them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking back at my own school experiences; many of the teachers weren't all that bright, some where quite sadistic and enjoyed humiliating the kids (one woman teacher I look back on how obviously had BPD but I didn't know what that was when I was 12), and much of what I was forced to sit through was utterly useless.

I imagine things haven't gotten better since my day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, swissy_fit said:

Ffs who employed a lardy PE teacher? Ask for her to demonstrate a 100m sprint, all the way to the line with a dip, as you have high hopes of your son's athletic potential and would like him to start early. 

Id guess the sAme people who employed a woman who'd failed her Maths GCSE to teach Maths at my son's school.

48 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Looking back at my own school experiences; many of the teachers weren't all that bright, some where quite sadistic and enjoyed humiliating the kids (one woman teacher I look back on how obviously had BPD but I didn't know what that was when I was 12), and much of what I was forced to sit through was utterly useless.

I imagine things haven't gotten better since my day!

Same sort of people going into teaching.

They are slightly more arrogant as most have degrees these days ..... in history from old crap Poly.

1 hour ago, SpectrumFX said:

I did the double science at GCSE, and then physics, chemistry, and biology at A level.

It was a car crash. The double science leaves you woefully ill prepared to tackle each subject at A level.

This was over 20 years ago, so maybe it's got better, but I don't see how it would.

All I learnt from school is never rely on the teachers.

get the course book and read it. Most of my teachers hadnt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dgul said:

IMO sports at school might work for about 10-20% of the pupils, but will put the rest off for life.  I hated 'exercise' until I was about 15, when I realised that sports was in reality something quite different from what went on at school.

Anyway, I sometimes wonder what the hell teachers are doing teaching.  Just the other day I had a parent/teacher evening and asked about double vs individual sciences, and the science teacher said 'don't worry about it, I took double science and now I'm teaching it!' The idiot was so dimwitted that she couldn't see how her statement was the opposite of reassuring.

Totally agree. My recollection is that the teachers were only ever interested in the best pupils. E.g. high jump - all start jumping, then the bar is set slightly higher, and higher. Rapidly 90% of kids are eliminated. These kids then spend an hour standing in the cold, while the PE teachers focus on getting the best out of the remaining 10%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, spygirl said:

They are slightly more arrogant as most have degrees these days ..... in history from old crap Poly.

I would imagine teaching these days attracts a higher percentage of far-left social justice warriors than ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DeepLurker said:

Totally agree. My recollection is that the teachers were only ever interested in the best pupils. E.g. high jump - all start jumping, then the bar is set slightly higher, and higher. Rapidly 90% of kids are eliminated. These kids then spend an hour standing in the cold, while the PE teachers focus on getting the best out of the remaining 10%.

Yep, the Welsh system was like that - any boy who had potential to play for the school team was prioritised, then the local area team, town team, schoolboys, etc, etc and on to the Arms Park.

South Wales Police were the same - they had their own team and priority in applications were clearly given to those who were good at rugby. Several school friends of mine, all now retiring in their early 50's, basically got into Police because they were in the Swansea or Cardiff rugby school boys teams. Doesn't seem so bad when you read it like this but bear in mind that, back in the 80's, they had a virtual freeze on recruitment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JoeDavola said:

I would imagine teaching these days attracts a higher percentage of far-left social justice warriors than ever.

Don't see why - I'd have thought the old reasons (pensions/holidays etc) were still more important. Mind you if you have to put up with gender-neutral bullshit and the like, they're not going to be able to recruit from Dosbodders or similar, are they?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DeepLurker said:

Totally agree. My recollection is that the teachers were only ever interested in the best pupils. E.g. high jump - all start jumping, then the bar is set slightly higher, and higher. Rapidly 90% of kids are eliminated. These kids then spend an hour standing in the cold, while the PE teachers focus on getting the best out of the remaining 10%.

I was always picked last on the squad and our P.E. teachers were the same; they'd group us in terms of ability, weaning the bottom 20% sending us all to the sports hall to do badminton while the boys men were left to do the rugby, football or basket ball. Not long into our lesson we'd find ourselves unsupervised and head to the sweet sorry glucose high energy performance pills vending machine and wash those down with cherry coke waiting for everyone to come in from outside to the changing rooms. Normally I'd be there already stealing the warmth from those old fashioned radiators we had. 

I discovered sport later on in life and resent the teachers for their blatant favouritism. 

Thankfully, my children do go to a private school and they are very much still into providing a sports education. Pre-prep they have two halve days of sports and swimming and at the main school it's one full day of sport finishing an hour later than usual on the hockey pitch. 

£16s FFS what are these people complaining about. It's a free child care education. We had to spend £750 on kit for our two before they went back this year and some of the embroidered clothes look really nice. I still believe to look smart in a uniform is a state of mind and children are more disciplined to work harder and be smarter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.