DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

£250K in cash to invest in shares or £250k in a house ... which is the best investment as from today

Hancock

Popuplights

Cheers for all this information. Will be useful when I set up my sipp with the funds transferred put of the company pension.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, gibbon said:

Just started up my HL account after not doing any investing for over a decade. Their rates for monthly investing where you set up a DD and stick it in a index tracker are very low. Any type of active investing though they clobber you and there's much cheaper alternatives (from what I can see).

Anything where they can use bulk buying is cheaper but if you want live prices you always pay for it. It's £7.50 if you want live prices on Vanguard ETFs for example.

The exception to this seem to be the new breed of free trading platforms. I have to say my limited experience with FreeTrade has been good (so far).

8 hours ago, sleepwello'nights said:

I look at what's reported in Europe. Italy, Spain, France and Germany seem more restrictive

you're having a laugh! those countries are fecking massive and contrary to the BS there ain't pigs on every street corner PDLIF:P

edit: the original is probs better

10 hours ago, sleepwello'nights said:

If you do that get your timing right. I topped up my stock market investments a week too early! Overall I ended about 10% up. Really though my biggest mistake was not selling IAG when I realised travel would be curtailed.

Is there anywhere that much better than the UK? I look at what's reported in Europe. Italy, Spain, France and Germany seem more restrictive, New Zealand seems terminally fucked with wokeness, likewise Canada, some/most US states. Are you sure you're not looking at the greener grass and not considering it looks greener because its built on a swamp? 

My gentile and kind child is up on a thought crime charge, everywhere is better than England ... apart from Scotland.

10 hours ago, gibbon said:

Years ago I had an argument with an accountant who refused to believe that money was simply printed out of thin air, that there was such a thing as fractional reserve accounting and that banks didn't in fact have the money they loaned out and simply created the money via loans by typing it into a computer. In their defence this accountant was previously a teacher.

But if professionals don't even understand the system, politicians certainly won't and really shows how fucked we are.

It was a lefty who taught me that 20 years ago. But like all good leftys he had a few houses to let.

ashestoashes
On 22/05/2021 at 16:51, JoeDavola said:

Hold on....do you mean I can put 20K as cash into an ISA to get that years allowance locked down and the 'convert' it at a later date to S&S?

£2k dividends tax free as well, so can have some shares outside an isa

I am out the house buying game now.

For more than a decade i've had a bookmarks folder with searches in multiple areas that ive checked on a daily basis, but its finally been deleted.

After my recent scouting trip down south and seeing what £375k buys, then seeing where the prices have gone in York over the last 12 months, i'm out of the game.

Almost certain that i will emigrate by January 2021 and put the kid in a private school.

My brothers who easily earn 150k+++ have emigrated, with one reason being insane house prices, seems the LIBLABCON have now managed to get rid of me due to their property bubble blowing torture of those born at the wrong time.

Feels like a weight lifted off my shoulders now that i've decided to grow some bollocks and get the fuck out of this totalitarian, Orwellian fucken shithole.

Looks as if i will be waiting for a Big Kahuna then throwing all my money at inflationary shares, in the expectation of some easy money.

sancho panza
8 hours ago, Hancock said:

For more than a decade i've had a bookmarks folder with searches in multiple areas that ive checked on a daily basis, but its finally been deleted.

After my recent scouting trip down south and seeing what £375k buys, then seeing where the prices have gone in York over the last 12 months, i'm out of the game.

Almost certain that i will emigrate by January 2021 and put the kid in a private school.

My brothers who easily earn 150k+++ have emigrated, with one reason being insane house prices, seems the LIBLABCON have now managed to get rid of me due to their property bubble blowing torture of those born at the wrong time.

Feels like a weight lifted off my shoulders now that i've decided to grow some bollocks and get the fuck out of this totalitarian, Orwellian fucken shithole.

Looks as if i will be waiting for a Big Kahuna then throwing all my money at inflationary shares, in the expectation of some easy money.

That's the spirit H.

It's hard sometiems turning your back on the ponzi but when you do,new things open up.

£450k Constantia Cape Town.Now we're talking....

https://www.property24.com/for-sale/constantia/cape-town/western-cape/11742/109806804

https://www.property24.com/for-sale/constantia/cape-town/western-cape/11742/109942167?plId=791703&plt=3

and this at teh £375 k level.

https://www.property24.com/for-sale/constantia/cape-town/western-cape/11742/109935753

There are so many other options to spending £50k on a 3 bed semi in Leicester

edit to add:this one in Kleinmond is a beauty for £350k

https://www.property24.com/for-sale/kleinmond-central/kleinmond/western-cape/16691/108350993

Talking Monkey
10 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

That's the spirit H.

It's hard sometiems turning your back on the ponzi but when you do,new things open up.

https://www.property24.com/for-sale/constantia/cape-town/western-cape/11742/109806804

https://www.property24.com/for-sale/constantia/cape-town/western-cape/11742/109942167?plId=791703&plt=3

https://www.property24.com/for-sale/constantia/cape-town/western-cape/11742/109935753

https://www.property24.com/for-sale/kleinmond-central/kleinmond/western-cape/16691/108350993

Isn't Cape Town meant to be a bit violent SP. The houses look tops though

sancho panza
Just now, Talking Monkey said:

Isn't Cape Town meant to be a bit violent SP. The houses look tops though

depends where you live.Probabaly safer than Sadiq's London.......Western Cape is pretty good.

59 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

That's the spirit H.

Will check them tomorrow, the bloke from the Village People is currently fixing that website.

image.png.9aa431cbd06888ad56701b88c49d94a1.png

2 hours ago, sancho panza said:

depends where you live.Probabaly safer than Sadiq's London.......Western Cape is pretty good.

SA has a massacre of whites built in in the next 30 years.  You'd be mad to move there if you have kids.

Going back to the theme of the thread.

Invest or house reminded me of this quote by Rudyard Kipling

“A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.”
I will rephrase that as;
Money is only money, but your house is a home!
And for the benefit of @JoeDavola , it is also a cage to catch your bird ;)

sancho panza
13 hours ago, wherebee said:

SA has a massacre of whites built in in the next 30 years.  You'd be mad to move there if you have kids.

They said that about ZImbabwe.:ph34r:

Point is you can go to france buy a lovely pad in the sticks for bugger all.There are loads of options outside the UK at these prices.

2 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Going back to the theme of the thread.

Invest or house reminded me of this quote by Rudyard Kipling

“A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.”
I will rephrase that as;
Money is only money, but your house is a home!
And for the benefit of @JoeDavola , it is also a cage to catch your bird ;)

Only problem being that cigar is some wretched dried out thing, thats been dropped on the floor and stamped on.

goldbug9999
On 26/05/2021 at 14:31, Hancock said:

Its just fuckin mental, I literally wouldn't buy the house I'm in now for what its supposedly worth and I've only been in it 6 months (agreed sale 6 months before that) so I've been priced out of my own house in just a year.

I just cant my head round where people are getting the money from.

2 hours ago, goldbug9999 said:

Its just fuckin mental, I literally wouldn't buy the house I'm in now for what its supposedly worth and I've only been in it 6 months (agreed sale 6 months before that) so I've been priced out of my own house in just a year.

At lightscribe or whatever he's called highlighted the SDLT wasnt needed for FTBers as they already had this, so it must predominantly be "investors" buying all the can when the SDLT holiday is in place.

Even boomers wouldn't be taking on more debt late in life to buy that house a touch bigger up the street.

Frank Hovis
13 hours ago, goldbug9999 said:

It's a buying frenzy at at the moment.

It will pass.

goldbug9999
12 hours ago, Hancock said:

so it must predominantly be "investors" buying all the can when the SDLT holiday is in place.

The second home surcharge was not removed though ? (AFAIK)

On 29/05/2021 at 12:29, goldbug9999 said:

The second home surcharge was not removed though ? (AFAIK)

No but they still got the largest chunk of the SDLT bill removed.

Archived