DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

How do you listen to your music?

With a crooked smile

With a crooked smile

I tend to stream Spotify from my phone to Bluetooth headphones. I'm interested to see photos of people's home hifi set ups but I'm also interested if anyone streams to a hifi and whether it's any good sound quality wise? 

Erewhon888
20 hours ago, With a crooked smile said:

I tend to stream Spotify from my phone to Bluetooth headphones. I'm interested to see photos of people's home hifi set ups but I'm also interested if anyone streams to a hifi and whether it's any good sound quality wise? 

Increasingly I use closed ear headphones wired directly to a Focusrite audio interface with USB connection to a recently home built computer. If I tire of headphone listening then the Focusrite output goes to a standalone audio mixer and then to a Marantz amplifier driving Celestion loudspeakers that I have had since the mid-70s. The Marantz also drives a subwoofer in the corner which boosts bass when I'm in the mood for being shaken a bit.

• Agree 1
Option5
1 minute ago, The XYY Man said:

PISSED

XYY

#MeToo 🙂

• Lol 1
The XYY Man
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, With a crooked smile said:

To answer your question seriously, in most cases it is via the speakers of a decent quality internet radio on my desk.

I don't do Spotify personally - though my radio can - so I can't really comment on that. I can also feed a number of external analogue sources into the radio via "line-in" connections.

For any purely digital source, 96kbps mp3 is the lowest spec my ears will tolerate. Most BBC radio channels via the internet radio itself do 320kbps AAC and that sounds excellent to my lugs.

When it comes to headphones, I try and avoid Bluetooth for two main reasons.

Bluetooth audio is a bit clunky, and it adds at least one more layer of conversion to the audio. It also has the greatest lag time of any type of wireless headphones. Not a problem for audio only, but you'll fucking hate Bluetooth headphones if you don't like watching video with the audio slightly out of synch. 

My preferences for headphones whether it be for audio, or video + audio are:

1. Analogue wired headphones. Inconvenient at times, but always the best if you're not worried about going for a piss.

2. Digital FM Wireless headphones. Not quite as good as number 3 for video as there is a very slight audio delay, but also no annoying "hiss" that you regularly get from analogue FM wireless. There is another extra layer of conversion, but the lack of hiss and the almost imperceptible lag with video+audio sources makes them very much my weapon of choice. 

3. Analogue FM Wireless headphones. They'd be my number 2 if the FM radio hiss didn't exist. But it does...!

4. Bluetooth headphones. I have a pair, but they don't get used much as they are the most likely of all my 'phones to lose the signal when I go downstairs to the fridge for a beer, or go for a piss. To be avoided if at all possible.

XYY

Edited by The XYY Man
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
JoeDavola
Posted (edited)

I stream stuff via my phone to a pair of sennheiser pxc 550 headphones.

Simples. Everyone else is spending big money on vinyl setups whereas I have no interest in that - I like the convenience and small footprint of the headphones.

And I also use them for watching the telly/movies/audiobooks. Some of the best money I ever spent.

Edited by JoeDavola
  • Agree 1
stokiescum

Alexa into a soundbar basic but does the job

dgul

When i want to 'listen' to music I use an old hifi setup.   This isn't so often, but often enough to keep it going.

When I want to 'have music on in the background' I use spotify on a smartspeaker.

When I want to listen to music in private I use a decent pair of headphones (I have some rather fancy ones).  I often use an external dac and headphone amp but at the moment it's been stolen by a project and I have to use the laptop headphone output -- truth be told, it sounds fine on my 'fairly normal' headphones, but a bit weak on my fancy things (impedance or summit).

Andersen
Posted (edited)

Portable - https://www.internet-radio.com/ on the mobile to Huawei CM510 bluetooth speaker (good battery life, sound is decent rather than spectacular) https://productz.com/en/huawei-cm510/p/aYB4b

At home on a Roberts 218 Stream internet radio, lovely sound, plenty of volume, inputs include bluetooth, spotify (never tried it), podcasts, it also connects to home wifi as a an "internet radio" for unlimited choice of online music. It doubles up as a TV soundbar - much better sound quality than standard tv speakers. It also works with a neat "Undok" app so a mobile becomes a remote for the radio. Great piece of kit, not overpriced at £100 (in a sale) https://bestradios.co.uk/roberts-stream-217-radio-review/ 

I'm also a fan of Bang & Olufsen, have several table radios from the 70s (amazing sounds from a small unit), also an A8 speaker dock / tv soundbar - fantastic sound & volume, ideal for use with an ipad / ipod https://www.pocket-lint.com/speakers/reviews/bang-and-olufsen/112205-bang-and-olufsen-beosound-8-hands-on

Currently listening to the Roberts 218, the Huawei is less than 10 feet away, and the B&O is in deep storage until I can find somewhere permanant with no neighbours nearby (my last neighbours were almost deaf - we got on great) :Beer: 

Edited by Andersen
man o' the year

I just bought a Cambridge Audio CXN 2 streamer and it has been a revelation. I only recently pulled my old HiFi amp and speakers out of storage from moving house 15 years ago and started playing the laptop through them. This, with good quality FLAC files was good and was probably a little better than the standard of HiFi reproduction I used to get in the old days (1970s). So I decided to go for a good streamer with a top level DAC to free up the laptop and give more convenience. I had no idea it would transform my listening to music to a new level. 

I first of all booked an audition of the more expensive Cambridge Audio Azur 851. When we arrived Richer Sounds (Bath) were very Covid aware and we were shown into audition room and left to lsiten as we wished. It soon became apparent that one speaker was not working so we called the bloke back and he swapped the amp. Same result. Then a third amp. Same. He connected the amp through the Optical link and the speaker worked fine, so he left us and we listened. It was completely uninspiring. We left after a  further half hour of listening wondering why we could ever justify £1200 on the Azur.

A few days later I decided that it wasn't for us and maybe a step down to the £800 CXN version2 would be the way to go. I rang Richer Sounds Bristol and discussed. During which it came out that if auditioned via an optical output an inferior DAC in the amp would be used rather the state of the art DAC on the Streamer. I decided to go for the CXN (2).

It is amazing. I thought that I would play tracks from a USB connected portable hard drive. This works great and the sound is without doubt streets ahead of anything I ever heard before in my life. In the old days I listened to master tapes from reel to reel Revox's at 30 inches per second on studio equipment and my set up now sounds way better. I had given up the idea of ever hearing music so well now my ears are 60 years old but I find I am regularly "going for a listen" and my wife comes to listen too. We sit there with broad grins on our faces or even dance about the room. There is detail we have never heard before in most tracks. It is not harsh however rather full and rich. However the great surprise is streaming from Spotify. The sound is virtually as good. We have great Wifi (300Mbps) and the convenience and immediacy of the spotify interface is great. Although they have recently redesigned it and I don't like the new format as much. 

One problem we found was that the Stream Magic App does not work properly on  Android. Worked fine on my daughters Apple.  Same woth the old CONNECT app. I emailed support but they have not come back. This was not a problem as I had always thought I would buy a separate phone for the Streamer. So we went to cash convertors in Kingswood for a cheap Apple phone and it works great. 

Rest of sytem is a Marantz amp and Celestion Ditton 15XR speakers at the front and couple of Technics speakers at the back.

I now search for best quality file sources I can. Worst case I rip across from CD. I have not tried top level TIDAL yet but probably will give it a try soon. 

• Informative 1
NTB

Sit down and properly listen with no distractions - mostly vinyl on a classic Linn/Naim system.

Music while in the workshop - internet radio or flac files via netbook, naim nait and cheapo mission speakers

Music while cooking, Roberts DAB radio

DTMark
Posted (edited)

YouTube and headphones - it plays music. It's blurry and indistinct and a lot of the music is missing but it suffices when I'm getting drunk, working, or not really concentrating on it.

Hi-res digital 192/24 and headphones - there's detail, the sampling rate is sufficiently high for it not to sound horrendously distorted, and some types of music can be captivating like this.

However to properly and fully engage - vinyl - good turntable, or MQA digital - decent recording, floor-standing speakers, around 90 to 100db, sitting in the middle - I'm transported to another world and can hear everything, each element locked in its own space, multi-layered, like it's happening in front of me.

Since moving to a flat, however, that last option has gone.

Edited by DTMark
MrPin

I have been very disappointed with Cambridge (Chinese) Audio kit, mr @man o' the year. It was a comically bad BluRay player, which wasn't cheap.