DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Picking up new Vanquish 540 metal detector today

haroldshand

King Penda
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Carl Fimble said:

Good luck

7 minutes ago, haroldshand said:

Just picking up my new Vanquish 540 metal detector today :)

Any tips?

Join some groups on Facebook  for the mine lab brand you will no doubt meet slow a low gog not sure what machines the infamous Adam a Lisa are useing now but it’s almost certainly minelab 

Edited by stokiescum
  • Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

King Penda
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Bitcoins are not magnetic.

Was a big auction on yesterday a some bronze votive figures went for 188k .was quite funny seeing some of the lads in suits instead of combat gear but the media were all over it 

3983D1FF-63AA-4E30-95B1-6D04ADAAA158.png

Edited by stokiescum
  • Informative 2

haroldshand
1 minute ago, stokiescum said:

Was a big auction on yesterday a some bronze votive figures went for 188k .

I am a history nut and have been since I was a kid, just my way of getting involved 

• Cheers 1

Sasquatch

Best of luck!

Have you managed to find a club to join? Could be difficult to get to land otherwise, unless of course you have some farmer pals.

• Agree 2

Sasquatch
2 hours ago, haroldshand said:

Any tips?

Find a blank piece of ground (without signals) and set up a number of targets on the surface. Old penny, gold ring, silver coin, piece of lead, lump of iron, aluminium drinks can etc etc. Although it won't be quite the same as detecting the objects within the soil, you'll still get to hear the difference in tones between the various metals.

I'm sure @stokiescum will agree that it's best to limit any ferrous discrimination on the detector or you might lose good targets.

• Informative 1

haroldshand
41 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Best of luck!

Have you managed to find a club to join? Could be difficult to get to land otherwise, unless of course you have some farmer pals.

There is an ex Forces one out there, but I don't think so. I should be fine with places to go and know a few people or people that know people

King Penda
12 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Find a blank piece of ground (without signals) and set up a number of targets on the surface. Old penny, gold ring, silver coin, piece of lead, lump of iron, aluminium drinks can etc etc. Although it won't be quite the same as detecting the objects within the soil, you'll still get to hear the difference in tones between the various metals.

I'm sure @stokiescum will agree that it's best to limit any ferrous discrimination on the detector or you might lose good targets.

I didn’t realy use discrimination well just the smallest amount when I started used far to much.used to love the fact minelabs used to basicly interfere with other detectors if they are close noise cancel is handy if others think you’ve hit a good area and encroach 

• Informative 1

Frank Hovis
12 minutes ago, haroldshand said:

There is an ex Forces one out there, but I don't think so. I should be fine with places to go and know a few people or people that know people

I think you said you were in East Anglia; maybe there is a version of this one which in normal times organises a meet and camp every weekend for about £20 and which in normal times I would have joined by now.

https://dcdd.uk/

King Penda
2 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I think you said you were in East Anglia; maybe there is a version of this one which in normal times organises a meet and camp every weekend for about £20 and which in normal times I would have joined by now.

https://dcdd.uk/

East anglia and Suffolk are often cited has the best county’s to detect in

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Frank Hovis
Just now, stokiescum said:

East anglia and Suffolk are often cited has the best county’s to detect in

Yes, well pretty much anywhere with decent low lying agricultural land.

So not Cornwallor most of Devon then!

Dorset is pretty decent with the cursus running right across it and a Time Team dig by it found loads of stuff.

00-dorset-cursus-monument.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorset_Cursus

haroldshand

Also one of my regular customers(cannot say which one) is one of the crew that was in  Channel 4's Time Team and no not Baldrick.

Will be keeping this quite because they mostly hate this hobby

Frank Hovis
10 minutes ago, haroldshand said:

Also one of my regular customers(cannot say which one) is one of the crew that was in  Channel 4's Time Team and no not Baldrick.

Oh yes, I'm not meant to approve but it is fun even if you don't find anything.  And when half the country is disappearing under concrete without proper investigation being done beforehand I regard it as a plus to fidn something before it is burid for good.

I know Helen Geake leaves in that part of the country: Woolpit, Suffolk.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helen_Geake

King Penda
38 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Yes, well pretty much anywhere with decent low lying agricultural land.

So not Cornwallor most of Devon then!

Dorset is pretty decent with the cursus running right across it and a Time Team dig by it found loads of stuff.

00-dorset-cursus-monument.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorset_Cursus

I prefere places near to Roman roads old footpaths crossing or near to ancient villages.Roman roads has an example were used for many centuries after.but if only 1 coin or artefact was lost in a field every year it means there  are potentially thousands of items to find on every field.ps and in those days agriculture was very labour intensive 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, haroldshand said:

Any tips?

Use the handle.

• Agree 1

King Penda
28 minutes ago, haroldshand said:

They do hate it we even rocked up at a pub where one of time teams folk group were playing.think it was near Clair in Suffolk but halstead is another possibility.used to go a great rally in glemsford Suffolk my favourite pub there is the black lion 

• Cheers 1

haroldshand
36 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

They do hate it we even rocked up at a pub where one of time teams folk group were playing.think it was near Clair in Suffolk but halstead is another possibility.used to go a great rally in glemsford Suffolk my favourite pub there is the black lion 

One of my favourite areas, I know Clare well and once looked at homes in Long Melford and Lavenham .

Went for the 540 pro in the end :)

• Informative 1

Q: What's the difference between archaeologists and metal detectorists?

A: The archaeologists have a JCB excavator.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 2

haroldshand
22 hours ago, stokiescum said:

What is your best find to date?

King Penda
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, haroldshand said:

What is your best find to date?

Not much Celtic gold and a sov coin artefact wize a gold Tudor pin and an 8th century Saxon silver zooamorphic ring.bastards cut a chunk out of it for analysis and offered me 15 quid.I’d avarage about 2k a year from selling bits a bobs.I do know people that have  found life changing amounts.the infamous Adam a Lisa from derby are two of my friends im

expecting them to settle with the British museum for a find 2 years ago for between 4/6 million soon 

.that pic we are toasting dead friends before we got fucked up at a private rally

48F15598-8028-4324-A719-F45C19438E7B.jpeg

Edited by stokiescum
  • Cheers 1

haroldshand
1 minute ago, stokiescum said:

Not much Celtic gold and a sov coin artefact wize a gold Tudor pin and an 8th century Saxon silver zooamorphic ring.bastards cut a chunk out of it for analysis and offered me 15 quid.I’d avarage about 2k a year from selling bits a bobs.I do know people that have  found life changing amounts.the infamous Adam a Lisa from derby are two of my friends im

expecting them to settle with the British museum for a find 2 years ago for between 4/6 million soon 

I had a customer in North Cambridge who has packed in work now who took it up only a few years ago and asked me if I wanted to look at his finds later. Was expecting to see a load of crap, but he had tray after tray of amazing stuff, loads of hammered coins and even gold and tons of other stuff. He took me out and allowed me to keep the Roman coin I found using  his kit, that's what gave me the bug

• Cheers 2

King Penda
11 minutes ago, haroldshand said:

I had a customer in North Cambridge who has packed in work now who took it up only a few years ago and asked me if I wanted to look at his finds later. Was expecting to see a load of crap, but he had tray after tray of amazing stuff, loads of hammered coins and even gold and tons of other stuff. He took me out and allowed me to keep the Roman coin I found using  his kit, that's what gave me the bug

It’s interesting I’ve seen bombs a body’s found the guy who rang the bomb squad because he found a bomb got a round of fucks because we were banned off the field until it was detonated in a controlled fashion

Andersen

@haroldshand you might want to think about your thread titles in future - I saw the forum homepage link "Picking up a new Vanquish..." and clicked to see who on here had splashed out on an Aston Martin, https://www.astonmartin.com/en-gb/models/past-models/vanquish :Beer: B| 

Cool metal detecting thread but not what I thought I was clicking :D

• Agree 1