Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

A gentleman’s cycle


King Penda
 Share

Recommended Posts

King Penda

What’s this worth I sense scam has I suspect he has advertised nationally I suspect .it went up 30 mins ago however I’m only 8 miles away so would collect in person if there’s a decent profit in it 

F63B2743-CA33-41A8-8920-416CC7BF7277.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

King Penda
40 minutes ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

You fucking Hipster

No just wondered if I could make a profit but it appears that’s it’s value so it can stay there .ps just seen a cracking penny farthing 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love old stuff like that - but the value is often a lot less than you would think, sad that the fact it's survived for nearly a hundred years doesn't affect it's value.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I think I did a paper round on something like that. 3 speeds, Wooooo!

Why would anyone need more than 3 speeds?  That's slow, medium and fast.   Or perhaps flat, uphill and downhill.

Of course, that's just for women and children -- real men only ride with a single speed.  In the words of the great Henri Desgrange, originator of the Tour de France:

Quote

I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? We are getting soft... As for me, give me a fixed gear!

I am over 45, and thus allowed to ride bikes that use derailleurs.

Edited by dgul
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Chewing Grass
On 22/05/2021 at 17:58, stokiescum said:

What’s this worth I sense scam has I suspect he has advertised nationally I suspect .it went up 30 mins ago however I’m only 8 miles away so would collect in person if there’s a decent profit in it 

F63B2743-CA33-41A8-8920-416CC7BF7277.png

Can tell from the stand that he deals in bikes, there are a couple of blokes who do to the North & East of Stoke, the other one usually takes pictures in his garden and tends to do 50s-70s stuff.

He has really nice old stuff.

I like this one.

1636083295_Screenshotfrom2021-05-2319-55-23.jpg.56f516f2e47a23340dfa0a3a802133f5.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/the_souk_uk/m.html?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

King Penda
3 hours ago, Andersen said:

I love old stuff like that - but the value is often a lot less than you would think, sad that the fact it's survived for nearly a hundred years doesn't affect it's value.

I could have got 20 Coalport figures the other day for 250 .they were 60/80 each 30 years ago.certain things are dropping out of fashion has certain demographics die possibly or they might have gone out of fashion.but 30/40 years ago they were a focal point in many houses

Link to comment
Share on other sites

King Penda
5 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Can tell from the stand that he deals in bikes, there are a couple of blokes who do to the North & East of Stoke, the other one usually takes pictures in his garden and tends to do 50s-70s stuff.

He has really nice old stuff.

I like this one.

1636083295_Screenshotfrom2021-05-2319-55-23.jpg.56f516f2e47a23340dfa0a3a802133f5.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/the_souk_uk/m.html?

Yep I found him on eBay after I posted then figured dealer good luck to him

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
Lightly Toasted

Looks like it sold, at one time I'd have grabbed it for (what looks like) the oil-bath chain case. Good, strong, reliable apocalypse bike :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Humber-Gents-Sports-Roadster-1932-Duplex-Forks-Pre-Raleigh-/274800800848

Nearest modern equivalent would be something like this @ £745, which is what I ended up buying (second hand):

https://www.pashleystore.co.uk/collections/bicycles/products/roadster-classic?variant=7177578741807

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I nearly bought a Swiss postie's bike in yellow from car boot once, wish I had now, based on their use probably any postal bike is going to be armageddon ready as any.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...