• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

The apostrophiser

I agree with him but I wouldn't do it myself. When I was at secondary school we had a cunt of an English teacher. The only good thing she ever did was notice that our class had got to the age of 16 and we hadn't been taught how to use apostrophes. So she put on a special lesson just using about the correct use of apostrophes. I thank her for that but she's still a cunt though and is now banned from being a head teacher or deputy head teacher. 

It's one of those weird things that needs to,be taught young.  Somehow if not, it just does not click.  I work with someone with a doctorate who cannot place apostrophises correctly. I spent some time trying to explain it but he still didn't get it.

mind, it might say more about my teaching abilities. xD 

Saw this on the news this morning. I can kind of see his point but that didn't stop me thinking that he was a presumptuous, sanctimonious arse who was probably a bit unhinged.

All of that said, I was in B&Q earlier this week. There was a large stand advertising loft insulation and it wasn't some hand-drawn affair either, it was an expensive, professionally printed setup that certainly cost a few quid.

The strapline?

"Are you loosing heat through your ceiling?" 

9_9

6 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Saw this on the news this morning. I can kind of see his point but that didn't stop me thinking that he was a presumptuous, sanctimonious arse who was probably a bit unhinged.

All of that said, I was in B&Q earlier this week. There was a large stand advertising loft insulation and it wasn't some hand-drawn affair either, it was an expensive, professionally printed setup that certainly cost a few quid.

The strapline?

"Are you loosing heat through your ceiling?" 

That's a joke right?  A professionally produced poster and they could not distinguish between lose and loose. Fecking hell. 

Just now, One percent said:

That's a joke right?  A professionally produced poster and they could not distinguish between lose and loose. Fecking hell. 

Genuine.

I actually stopped dead in my tracks and gawped at it.

I didn't have my phone otherwise I would have taken a photo.

2 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Genuine.

I actually stopped dead in my tracks and gawped at it.

I didn't have my phone otherwise I would have taken a photo.

Epic fail. You should really return to capture it for prosperity. :o

i admit to being a bit of a pedant (despite the evidence from my posts, I blame it on crapple). 

Nah, screw him. I'm a bit of a grammar obsessive myself, but he's going out there "correcting" signage that other people have paid a lot of money for. He doesn't know if it's a deliberate play, and even if he's always right, his pointing it out to them might leave them with a huge bill to bring all their headed paper, business cards, advertising etc into line. A business is the owner's baby - bloke has no right to fuck about with them just because he can't deal with it.

3 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

I saw him this morning and he is my new hero.

And sod the 'having to print new stationery' stuff. Should have got a decent printer in the first place and it wouldn't have happened.

It's not the printer's fault, they'll ask you to proof read and if you OK it they'll print it. I once knew a builder who paid £250 for a Yellow Pages advert and didn't bother checking it before the printed. The telephone number was wrong :D

2 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Mother's day or Mothers' day - it's both an individual and group thing init - or should that be i'n'it?

Depends how you are using it.  The first example is that it is a day for your particular mother.  The second a day for all mothers. 

10 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

It's not the printer's fault, they'll ask you to proof read and if you OK it they'll print it. I once knew a builder who paid £250 for a Yellow Pages advert and didn't bother checking it before the printed. The telephone number was wrong :D

Back in the 90's the print firms we placed catalogues with had their own proof-readers who were very good.

Hart's Rules for Compositors and Readers at Oxford University Press - great reference book. 

13 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

A good printer knows that a client never proof reads anything properly and acts accordingly. Yellow pages is a different beast entirely.

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

A good printer knows that a client never proof reads anything properly and acts accordingly. Yellow pages is a different beast entirely.

Ugh! Don't go near the brown and yellow! Obviously some hobbies are not mine!

8 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Are? They're still going?

Which reminds me. When I was about 18-19 my mother had this not-so-brilliant idea of earning a few quid delivering Yellow Pages. Being the newbie she got given the rural villages, meaning it was far more time consuming to deliver your quota, so she roped me in to get it done asap. She drove the car, I ran up the driveways and knocked on the doors. I called at one house at about 2pm on a Saturday afternoon, rang the doorbell, and was met by a woman in her 40s in black see through baby doll and stockings and suspenders. I managed to stammer out something like, "I've got your Yellow Pages", to which she replied, "Oh, we were expecting someone else - would you like to come in for a bit anyway?".

I'm ashamed to say I told her my mum was at the end of the drive and I needed to get going. Although it would have been awkward explaining to my mother where I'd been if I'd taken her up on her offer.