• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Special victim status

Lengthy piece on the radio about assaults on paramedics.

Now to be clear the people who do such things are scum. No question about that.

I was going to label this as yet another pointless campaign on the usual grounds that anyone who would take notice of it are in the 99%+ who wouldn't do it in the first place.

Upon following up the story however there is a point and that is to give special victim status for such workers:

"We would also seek more robust sentences upon conviction for any assault on a public servant, whether that be a police officer, nurse, paramedic or firefighter; these people dedicate their lives to help the community and should not be subject to abuse."

So if some drugged up nut breaks the nose of a minority = hate crime, heavy sentence. Now there's an attempt to make it a heavy sentence for attacking a paramedic etc.

Both of which, by making them special cases, degrade an assault upon Joe or Josephine Ordinary to a lesser offence.

How's that fair? Everyone hurts the same.

https://www.piratefm.co.uk/news/latest-news/2374385/shocking-number-of-emergency-workers-assaulted/

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Lengthy piece on the radio about assaults on paramedics.

Now to be clear the people who do such things are scum. No question about that.

I was going to label this as yet another pointless campaign on the usual grounds that anyone who would take notice of it are in the 99%+ who wouldn't do it in the first place.

Upon following up the story however there is a point and that is to give special victim status for such workers:

"We would also seek more robust sentences upon conviction for any assault on a public servant, whether that be a police officer, nurse, paramedic or firefighter; these people dedicate their lives to help the community and should not be subject to abuse."

So if some drugged up nut breaks the nose of a minority = hate crime, heavy sentence. Now there's an attempt to make it a heavy sentence for attacking a paramedic etc.

Both of which, by making them special cases, degrade an assault upon Joe or Josephine Ordinary to a lesser offence.

How's that fair? Everyone hurts the same.

https://www.piratefm.co.uk/news/latest-news/2374385/shocking-number-of-emergency-workers-assaulted/

Agree Frank.  This modern notion of everyone (apart from hard working taxpayers of course) being special is leading to a range of problems for society, most which appear to me to be manifesting in a distinct lack of common courtesy when out and about. 

Just now, MrPin said:

Possibly, paramedics meet more "bad people" than accountants do.

Certainly the police meet more criminals than I do; but the law is there for everyone.

I would say that the effect of an assault is going to be much worse on someone who doesn't have a regular exposure to violence.

16 minutes ago, eight said:

The current British Gas (I think) ad campaign has plumbers down as "local heroes". So probably best not to twat one.

My plumber mate twatted a parking warden, does that count?

The law already takes into account the circumstances behind the crime, and judges already have latitude in the sentences they hand out.

This is just a sop to the (baying) public that'll just cause more problems than it solves for society / the legal system.

1 minute ago, onlyme said:

My plumber mate twatted a parking warden, does that count?

Need to see where both fit into the hierarchy of privilege before it can be established if a crime was committed or not. Are either of them black?

1 minute ago, eight said:

Need to see where both fit into the hierarchy of privilege before it can be established if a crime was committed or not. Are either of them black?

One of them, but only in one eye, temporarily.

Edited by onlyme

I'm totally against this but if we are going to have special victims protected by harsher sentences they should in turn, be given harsher sentences if they commit crimes.

the law should be equal to all, we know that's not the case and we already have a two tier legal system, it looks like we're heading for a multi-tier system. 

This can only be a bad thing as those least protected will become less supportive or cooperative of the legal/justice system, it won't end well.

Edited by snagger

1 minute ago, This Time said:

I dunno, I think it takes a particularly egregious scumbag to attack a medic while they're doing their job - I'm quite happy for them to be put away for as long as possible. 

That can all be done at the sentencing stage and a factor in the sentence being doled out due to circumstances.

1 hour ago, onlyme said:

That can all be done at the sentencing stage and a factor in the sentence being doled out due to circumstances.

Big campaign here about the number of bikes being stolen in the Town... Councillors outraged, press demanding action, Courts oblivious.

One repeat and prolific offender was sentenced two months ago for this outrage against common people...6 weeks behind bars...out in 3...back in Town stealing bikes.

5 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I've not heard anyone say anything about the status of estate agents.

Good.

* pulls back sleeves *

too late, sucker punched the gel-haired cheap suit wearing twat!