DOSBODS  
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

EVs in the real world - just don't

Frank Hovis

Frank Hovis

Huge respect for an EV fanboi to honestly document the reality of trying to charge an EV when you can't do it at home.

Three hours to get the "tank" half full because the charging infrastructure is simply shite.  Five minutes at a petrol station for an ICE.

• Agree 3
  • Informative 3
  • Cheers 1

Snake Plissken

I'd imagine 90%+ of current EV owners have at least one other car they can use in the household/family. No one would take EV car on a journey where you'd risk running out of charge unless it was for some sort of challenge.

• Agree 6

Father in law had a Leaf for a 3 year lease , well into all the green stuff 

He got a hybrid next to tick the green box but just could not life with the charging limitations 

• Informative 2

One percent

They are not going to replace the internal combustion engine for a good long while, no matter what they wish. Who the fuck would be stupid enough to shell out a load of money on a car that has a range of 50 miles on a good day with a prevailing wind. 

• Agree 6

Frank Hovis

Thought exercise:

If you wanted to halve the number of cars in the UK, without simply increasing taxation as that will see you voted out of office, then how would you do that?

• Agree 10

Wight Flight
5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Thought exercise:

If you wanted to halve the number of cars in the UK, without simply increasing taxation as that will see you voted out of office, then how would you do that?

I agree. The cancelling of ICE cars is probably the thing that worries me most about the future.

Covid is just a minor irritant by comparison.

• Agree 6

8 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Thought exercise:

Halve the population 

• Agree 5
  • Lol 4

Chewing Grass
Just now, Wight Flight said:

I agree. The cancelling of ICE cars is probably the thing that worries me most about the future.

Covid is just a minor irritant by comparison.

When I go through rural farming areas I wonder what the fuck farmers will use to go about their daily tasks when I see their beat up pickups, troopers, land rovers and land cruisers.

EVs just won't hack being permanently caked in shit and mud for 20 years.

• Agree 4

Chewing Grass
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Huge respect for an EV fanboi to honestly document the reality of trying to charge an EV when you can't do it at home.

Three hours to get the "tank" half full because the charging infrastructure is simply shite.  Five minutes at a petrol station for an ICE.

On his wages it would probably equal £240 of his time to get half a charge.

Wight Flight
2 minutes ago, NewryH said:

i just dont see them catching on

They aren't meant to.

We will only have 20% of the current number of cars in the future.

10% of sales are already EVs, so we are actually half way there.

Just need to get rid of the ICEs and they are done.

• Agree 8

Chewing Grass
5 minutes ago, steppensheep said:

Why don't they put solar panels on the roofs?

Watts per Metre Square dear boy.

We are at 3KWh/m2 per whole day maximum, or about 9 miles per day at the height of summer if you can park out of shadows.

A safe number would be 1KWh per Metre Square per day or 3 miles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_irradiance

World_GHI_Solar-resource-map_GlobalSolar

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_irradiance

Edited by Chewing Grass
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 4

3 minutes ago, NewryH said:

Until you can 'fill up' an EV in 5 -10 minutes at a fuel station like you can an ICE then i just dont see them catching on

It’ll only work when there is a big saving having a battery car 

Better batteries, quicker charging or a big jump in oil prices/tax could do it 

1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

There's his problem right there,  basically don't get an EV if you can't charge it at home. It's like doing a video of 'living with an ICE car when your nearest petrol station is 200 miles away'.

• Agree 5

Chewing Grass
Just now, Siggy said:

There's his problem right there,  basically don't get an EV if you can't charge it at home. It's like doing a video of 'living with an ICE car when your nearest petrol station is 200 miles away'.

This is going to be really funny when all the stuck-up twats from London go to Devon & Cornwall for 2 weeks this summer.

• Lol 6

13 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

When I go through rural farming areas I wonder what the fuck farmers will use to go about their daily tasks when I see their beat up pickups, troopers, land rovers and land cruisers.

EVs just won't hack being permanently caked in shit and mud for 20 years.

Fast modern tractors, that’s why there’s no real interest in that sector from major manufacturers anymore, apparently.

Wight Flight
3 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

This is going to be really funny when all the stuck-up twats from London go to Devon & Cornwall for 2 weeks this summer.

Especially when they only meant to go for a week and it took them seven days to get home.

• Lol 4

ashestoashes
11 minutes ago, Siggy said:

there is a plan to move to hydrogen, EVs are just the start

• Informative 1

I mentioned in another thread that I had just used a hybrid for the first time, but if I ever had to replace my car I would go full electric this time with my limited mileage, hybrid doesn’t stack up for me. I’m very low mileage, just to and from work about 10 miles a day. Sod replacing this car whilst it is still going though (9 year old petrol Yaris). I would get an old Nissan leaf with depreciated batteries, it would just work for me at about 4.5K to buy currently. 

• Agree 5
  • Informative 2

Well I'm going to become one of the EV twats within the next week,  but in my defence I'm keeping my trusty diesel (we also have a petrol in the family) and it's more an insurance against possible future rises in fuel prices.

• Informative 1