DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

EVs in the real world - just don't

Frank Hovis

I’ve been to look at a Merc EQC. Interestingly they seem to acknowledge their pikey customer demographic as you can order it in a colour called Caravansite blue.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 3

Chewing Grass
2 minutes ago, Kwyjibo said:

I mentioned in another thread that I had just used a hybrid for the first time, but if I ever had to replace my car I would go full electric this time with my limited mileage, hybrid doesn’t stack up for me. I’m very low mileage, just to and from work about 10 miles a day. Sod replacing this car whilst it is still going though (9 year old petrol Yaris). I would get an old Nissan leaf with depreciated batteries, it would just work for me at about 4.5K to buy currently. 

I Nissan Leaf with buggered Batteries may waste most of the electricity that's put in it (if you do low mileage) through cell leakage as its sat on the drive.

I imagine Battery Condition may be a serious MOT failure soon akin to excessive emissions on a Diesel.

Capacity Degradation is between 0.025% and 0.035% per full discharge cycle with leakage once charged at 5-8% per month at normal temperatures for a battery in good condition (the <5% figures quoted are for brand new batteries).

https://www.apogeeweb.net/article/1986.html

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0378775317305876

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2

Coincidentally I saw a BMW i3 EV this morning at the roundabout, and I thought “flash bastard” then I saw it was a 64 plate, tempus fugit eh!

Chewing Grass
2 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

Is it time to buy a pony and trap?

I do believe there is such a thing as a dog-cart.

K9 Dog Cart

^^^ Excellent mixed race marketing photo there.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

Wight Flight
1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

I do believe there is such a thing as a dog-cart.

K9 Dog Cart

^^^ Excellent mixed race marketing photo there.

It's a German shepherd?

Chewing Grass

It's a German shepherd?

Here's me on holiday in the 1970s and my Great Grandad and his Brother in Lancashire.

Sheep Images: Sheep Flower Cart Portugual

Sheep Images: 2 Boys in a Two Sheep Cart Ohio 1907

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Here's me on holiday in the 1970s and my Great Grandad and his Brother in Lancashire.

I see what you did there :D very good

ashestoashes

They seem to have gone backwards since the SD1

4 paw drive and whitetooth though  

TheBlueCat
11 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Very long lived for sheep.

Bedrag Justesen
As a Tesla owner for the past 5 years; this was absolutely PAINFUL to watch; I don't know why the non Tesla fast chargers are so temperamental and horrible; I have supercharged hundreds and hundreds of times with my car; you show up; back in; plug in and walk away; it's that simple; no dicking around with buttons or apps or swipe cards or any of that crap. I had only one experience where the SC didn't work and that was because power was off to the entire town for an hour; gas stations were out of commission too. I really hope these non Tesla charge companies get their act together; it's videos like these that are doing nothing for the EV cause in fact they hinder it.
  • Agree 2

An EV for your sole car is a waste of time. However an EV as a second car makes a lot of sense... a 100 mile range is ample for going to the shops and commuting etc. I'd suggest a lot of cars aren't actually driven that much.... an EV is a fairly awesome "housewives car".

Saying EVs aren't any good is like saying "bikes are a waste of time. You cant get over 30mph and you cant tow a caravan with one". People simply shouldn't buy an EV if they are driving hundreds of miles each day....

Imho, the hybrid I drive at work is the best driving vehicle I've driven...

• Agree 4

Wight Flight
24 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

An EV for your sole car is a waste of time. However an EV as a second car makes a lot of sense... a 100 mile range is ample for going to the shops and commuting etc. I'd suggest a lot of cars aren't actually driven that much.... an EV is a fairly awesome "housewives car".

Saying EVs aren't any good is like saying "bikes are a waste of time. You cant get over 30mph and you cant tow a caravan with one". People simply shouldn't buy an EV if they are driving hundreds of miles each day....

I would replace mine with an EV in a heartbeat. Perfect for my 6 mile commute and pootling round the island.

But in three months time when I have to move to a third floor flat I would have to trade it in for a good old fashioned ICE.

And that is the reality for a lot of people.

• Agree 4

whitevanman
27 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Maclaren P1?

There are some nice leccy cars about. They would be even better if they came with a big V8 and without an electric motor.

3 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I would replace mine with an EV in a heartbeat. Perfect for my 6 mile commute and pootling round the island.

But in three months time when I have to move to a third floor flat I would have to trade it in for a good old fashioned ICE.

And that is the reality for a lot of people.

Why not get an electric scooter? All the drug dealers round here use them

• Lol 1

Wight Flight
2 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

Maclaren P1?

There are some nice leccy cars about. They would be even better if they came with a big V8 and without an electric motor.

Why not get an electric scooter? All the drug dealers round here use them

They cost a fortune. About £5 per hour I think.

But in reality, I don't want an EV.

My fuel costs are about £18 per week, so less than the £1k per year depreciation on an EV battery.

And probably far more environmentally friendly.

It is people having to drive too far that is the problem, not the type of energy source.

whitevanman
1 minute ago, Wight Flight said:

They cost a fortune. About £5 per hour I think.

But in reality, I don't want an EV.

My fuel costs are about £18 per week, so less than the £1k per year depreciation on an EV battery.

And probably far more environmentally friendly.

It is people having to drive too far that is the problem, not the type of energy source.

The papergirl round here uses an electric scooter. The only trouble with them is that if you're over 18 they make you look like a twat

• Agree 1

Wight Flight
Just now, whitevanman said:

The papergirl round here uses an electric scooter. The only trouble with them is that if you're over 18 they make you look like a twat

And they are illegal (unless hired from an authorised source) and will put points on your licence when caught.

whitevanman
12 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

And they are illegal (unless hired from an authorised source) and will put points on your licence when caught.

I don't think it's being enforced

• Agree 2