DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

EVs in the real world - just don't

Frank Hovis

Wight Flight
Just now, whitevanman said:

I don't think it's being enforced

It is here.

It's like Dixon of fucking Dock Green, with added curtain switchers. (Which is no bad thing)

35 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

I would replace mine with an EV in a heartbeat. Perfect for my 6 mile commute and pootling round the island.

Petrol is a fair but more expensive on an island... it obviously has to be shipped over in a ferry. It definitely gives EVs a nudge towards being the better option.

Wight Flight
3 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Petrol is a fair but more expensive on an island... it obviously has to be shipped over in a ferry. It definitely gives EVs a nudge towards being the better option.

Wrong.

For some unknown reason we usually have amongst the cheapest fuel in the UK.

https://www.islandecho.co.uk/isle-of-wight-boasts-cheapest-petrol-in-the-country-/

Edited by Wight Flight

I find it interesting comparing the price of electricity to petrol per kWh. There are about 9 kWh in a litre of petrol. A litre is costing about £1.30 at the moment. That's about 14 pence per kWh of petrol energy. It's not much cheaper than electricity.

I'd imagine an electric motor is a lot more efficient at converting energy to  movement?

Bien Pensant
26 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I find it interesting comparing the price of electricity to petrol per kWh. There are about 9 kWh in a litre of petrol. A litre is costing about £1.30 at the moment. That's about 14 pence per kWh of petrol energy. It's not much cheaper than electricity.

I'd imagine an electric motor is a lot more efficient at converting energy to  movement?

Yes, much, typically about 75 vs 35%, IRC.

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

The papergirl round here uses an electric scooter. The only trouble with them is that if you're over 18 they make you look like a twat

Just get one of those Bertie Bassett haircuts and a shiny black jacket with tracky bottoms, like all the yoof have, and you’d probably get away with it as long as you never slowed down, which none of them do.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

Bien Pensant
1 hour ago, Bedrag Justesen said:
As a Tesla owner for the past 5 years; this was absolutely PAINFUL to watch; I don't know why the non Tesla fast chargers are so temperamental and horrible; I have supercharged hundreds and hundreds of times with my car; you show up; back in; plug in and walk away; it's that simple; no dicking around with buttons or apps or swipe cards or any of that crap. I had only one experience where the SC didn't work and that was because power was off to the entire town for an hour; gas stations were out of commission too. I really hope these non Tesla charge companies get their act together; it's videos like these that are doing nothing for the EV cause in fact they hinder it.

There are lots of EVs in London now and even more charge cables trailing across the street from people's houses (even worse trip hazards than those fucking borders that the hipster twats insist on sticking in tree pits whenever they're out "guerilla gardening" - why are 'social people' always so fucking inconsiderate? But, I digress).

The thing is, a lot of the connectors on these cars are sticking out into the road, just waiting to be swiped off like a tall wing mirror.

You would think that with the silly money the manufacturers are charging for these cars they'd at least have put a power plug on each side.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, whitevanman said:

The papergirl round here uses an electric scooter. The only trouble with them is that if you're over 18 they make you look like a twat

If you mean something like a child's toy, then that doesn't make sense. Something like an electric Lambretta is probably practical.

Bien Pensant
55 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

It is here.

It's like Dixon of fucking Dock Green, with added curtain switchers. (Which is no bad thing)

It certainly isn't in London!

Bien Pensant
4 hours ago, One percent said:

They are not going to replace the internal combustion engine for a good long while, no matter what they wish. Who the fuck would be stupid enough to shell out a load of money on a car that has a range of 50 miles on a good day with a prevailing wind. 

EVs will never be as good as ICE vehicles, it is simply a physical impossibility.

Chemical energy, whether it is accessed via voltaic piles (batteries) or heat is basically stored in the form of electric fields between the nuclei of atoms and the electrons that orbit them, like billions of capacitors.

The limiting factor, when it comes to the amount of energy you can store per unit mass/volume, is the size of the nuclei.

That’s why you use lithium, it has a small ionic radius hence you can pack a huge amount of ‘capacitance’ into a given space.

But, hydrogen and carbon ions are so much smaller that there’s just no contest, you get about 50 times more energy per unit mass out of petrol than lithium ion batteries.

A good video below from the Royal Institution Christmas lectures, set to the material time:

Edited by Bien Pensant
  • Informative 7

We have a gen 1 Leaf as the 'housewife' s car. Bought it second hand three years ago. Battery has degraded a bit (8 bars out of 12 now), but it is perfect for majority of our driving needs, carting the kids around, local days out, shopping, gym, etc. 

Very nice to drive and so far minimal maintenance costs, tires, replacement 12v battery and cheap annual service. 

We have a garage to charge it in and there are a few free charging points around the town and some paid faster chargers but rarely need to use them. 

I have family in the UK with a tesla which they managed to take on a road trip to Switzerland. Took some planning and some nerves but they managed it without issues. 

For those fortunate enough with a place to charge them, I think EVs are increasingly a viable option. Of course, years of mass immigration and discouraging the building of houses with garages or adequate parking means few in the UK are in that fortunate position. 

• Agree 2

swiss_democracy_for_all

Judging by the non-existent rollout of charging infrastructure, the aim of most governments appears to be to eventually restrict vehicle ownership to those who own their own house and garage/driveway. 

• Agree 5

Bien Pensant
22 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Judging by the non-existent rollout of charging infrastructure, the aim of most governments appears to be to eventually restrict vehicle ownership to those who own their own house and garage/driveway. 

In London, again, it seems that every other lamp post now has a charging point in it.

• Informative 1

5 minutes ago, Bien Pensant said:

In London, again, it seems that every other lamp post now has a charging point in it.

My immediate thought is that the cabling is only supposed to power a light bulb, so it won't be a fast charger. A fair amount of time "parking" will be involved. Anyone here with real world experience of this?

Bien Pensant
3 minutes ago, MrPin said:

My immediate thought is that the cabling is only supposed to power a light bulb, so it won't be a fast charger. A fair amount of time "parking" will be involved. Anyone here with real world experience of this?

I was wondering this so when I came across a lamp post with the cover missing recently, a standard one, not one that had been fitted out for EV charging, I took the opportunity to have a look at the consumer unit inside. The circuit breaker in it was rated at 32A (which surprised me because I assumed they would use a 6A breaker). The Interweb says that that should allow you to charge your EV in 4 hours.

Not 3 phase by any means but certainly useful when you think how many lampposts there are.

Bedrag Justesen
3 hours ago, Wight Flight said:

I would replace mine with an EV in a heartbeat. Perfect for my 6 mile commute and pootling round the island.

Rally Legend Walter Röhrl Just Turned 70 And Has A Kick Ass Stable Of Cars  | Shifting Lanes

4 hours ago, Great Guy said:

An EV for your sole car is a waste of time. However an EV as a second car makes a lot of sense... a 100 mile range is ample for going to the shops and commuting etc. I'd suggest a lot of cars aren't actually driven that much.... an EV is a fairly awesome "housewives car".

Saying EVs aren't any good is like saying "bikes are a waste of time. You cant get over 30mph and you cant tow a caravan with one". People simply shouldn't buy an EV if they are driving hundreds of miles each day....

Imho, the hybrid I drive at work is the best driving vehicle I've driven...

This.  95% of our car journies are less than 5 miles.  4% are 10 miles (best beach nearby).  1% are over 10 miles.

An EV makes sense for us, especially if I get the solar set up as well.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

swiss_democracy_for_all
3 hours ago, Bien Pensant said:

Interesting. I wonder if the chargers are any good? (Have heard that non-Tesla chargers are often crap and broken all the time) 

Also are ICE cars banned from parking next to them yet? That step can’t be far away. 

Mr swissy do you ever sleep?:P I was speaking to a guy yesterday who lived in Zurich, he was explaining how the infrastructure in Swissland is so good, especially the rail network, you don't need a car

And cos of leccy trains the air cleaner!

r u in Zurich? so when you go out you have choice of train, tram, cycle and yet you still choose a car?

And another point he was making was that the big oil companies have fucked the european and UK rail infrastructure so much it has forced folks into 'consumer cars' and helped fook the environmen...in the name of their fat arses and fat profits:S

Edited by nirvana

8 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Thought exercise:

If you wanted to halve the number of cars in the UK, without simply increasing taxation as that will see you voted out of office, then how would you do that?

fix the rail network that you deliberately fooked and neglected cos of BIG OIL bribing you :P

8 hours ago, steppensheep said:

Why don't they put solar panels on the roofs?

if you stick em on the roof of yer house you can charge an ebike and get yer fat ass out on the road too :Jumping:

swiss_democracy_for_all
4 minutes ago, nirvana said:

Mr swissy do you ever sleep?:P I was speaking to a guy yesterday who lived in Zurich, he was explaining how the infrastructure in Swissland is so good, especially the rail network, you don't need a car

And cos of leccy trains the air cleaner!

r u in Zurich? so when you go out you have choice of train, tram, cycle and yet you still choose a car?

And another point he was making was that the big oil companies have fucked the european and UK rail infrastructure so much it has forced folks into 'consumer cars' and helped fook the environmen...in the name of their fat arses and fat profits:S

No, Geneva. Would like to sleep more, yes!

It’s true the infrastructure here is good, but still I use the car a lot. To shop (delivered internet shopping very expensive), to drive to swimming pool (best one a few km away, would take an hour in public transport, 15 min in car), to drive to mountain walks, and to drive my daughter to and from synchro when her using the buses isn’t practical (varies, mostly she can for training sessions but this weekend it’s the Swiss championships so she’s all made up and her hair in gelatin so I take her. 

I shop for 3 and we don’t eat only bananas!

Would be happy to have an EV if I had home charging, but no sign of Geneva doing anything much about charging infrastructure in existing apartment building complexes here, and nothing much to speak of in the street yet. 

• Cheers 1

how's about an ebike? go on gimme a saturday morning laugh before I go out on my push bike, what's your monthly food spend again?

I think the probs now is most folks think like corporates and they see 'transit as welfare' :wanker:

it's all in the planning :P

Screenshot_2021-05-29_06-58-58.png

• Agree 2