DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

HOUSE CLEARANCE

Onsamui

Question

Onsamui

Sadly both my parents have died, mum last year.  We started getting the place ready for sale then CV struck.  Anyway we have buyers now so gratefully ask the following if anyone has any experience in:

We have been told that if we hire a van and get a ticket from the hire co.  to say the contents is household we should be able to use the local tip?

Any info on auctions, some antiques and pine and rosewood furniture?

Any info on house clearance?

We have been doing FB market place but that has now dried up and we do drop the prices asked periodically.

Thanks in advance. O

• Informative 1
  • Cheers 1

15 answers to this question

Bobthebuilder

We had loads of good stuff in my Dads house after he died that we struggled to get rid of even for free. Ended up using a couple of skips in the end. 1960s Ercol furniture, machine shop tools, 1980s Yamaha keyboards etc, stuff that I first thought would sell easy. Such a waste.

Sorry for your loss.

• Agree 5

onlyme
Posted (edited)

First go round with relatives and pick what you want to keep.

If there is good stuff in the house get reputable local auction house in - they will value and pick out the best stuff and take it away to be sold at next antiques auction. Look at past listings to see if right sort of ballpark for what you have. 

Rest you could arrange to go to local clearance auction (household/garden effects) - taking yourself preferebly or selected third party - just ask what sort of stuff they will/won't take, again look at their past listings for sorts of things they look for and whether you decide it is worth it ir not  general household effects - anything from gardening equipment to furniture and boxes of glassware type of thing.

Good quality clean furniture that is not right for local auctions - call up British Heart foundation - they will take away the right stuff for free.

Anything else pretty much clearance / tip.

Edited by onlyme
  • Agree 2

Green Devil
Posted (edited)

Agreed, getting rid of any high volume, low value items is a complete ball ache. Just pay someone to remove it all or get a skip. Sometimes you can get rid of stuff on freecycle or facebook if its marked as free, but youre likely to still have issues and you'll spend most of your time dealing with timewasters/no shows. Last time i tried this i even had people asking me to deliver a free item to them for free!

Edited by Green Devil
  • Agree 2

I'm a pack rat and have lots of good quality kit.

I've told the family that when I croak, they take what they want to keep and then call in a house clearance guy. He'll give a low offer, they accept it on condition that he empties the place.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

7 hours ago, Onsamui said:

We have been told that if we hire a van and get a ticket from the hire co.  to say the contents is household we should be able to use the local tip?

Must depend on local authority I guess as mine would not allow a van onto the tip without an annual "commercial waste" permit. If your LA are more accommodating just bear in mind not only the work involved loading and unloading but the emotional stress when throwing things into a skip that you and I might regard as rubbish but Mum and Dad did not!

Any info on auctions, some antiques and pine and rosewood furniture?

By all means ask but our experience after both my Mum and Mum-in-law died was that it was best to take some photos of the items and let the auction house see these first.

We have been doing FB market place but that has now dried up and we do drop the prices asked periodically.

If the family do not want any white goods, bikes, mobility scooters, microwaves etc. then these will usually go via FB market place or ebay but beds and other large furniture items are hard to shift, prices need to be low and no-shows, people who turn up then want to haggle you down and similar all saps energy.

Everyone told us National Heart Foundation and other charities would collect furniture but each time we tried there was a different reason why they were not looking for those items at that time.

Any info on house clearance?

After weeks of sifting through photographs, mementos, obviously useful and clearly useless stuff and nothing else was wanted or could be sold, there came a point where a couple of skips seemed the answer.

I looked at several house clearance companies: some were only interested in selecting what they could sell or easily dispose of and charging a lot of money for the privilege but in the end came up with a company who did charge several hundred pounds but seemed to understand the emotions and stress involved.

Three men arrived in a large van and after checking whether we wanted curtains and carpets left, suggested we leave them to it and they would call when they were finished. By the end of the day a three-bedroomed house had been completely cleared including the loft, jam-packed garage and garden shed plus carpets lifted, curtains removed and floors swept.  

I felt uneasy then and still a little guilty about what seemed to be an unceremonious "dumping" of possessions belonging to somebody I cared about but faced with the same problem a couple of years later - albeit with a slightly smaller house - I  spent a day or so sorting out papers and a couple of items we or other family members wanted then called in the house clearance people.

It's not a good time for you so unless cost presents a major problem, I would recommend full house clearance.  

image.png

• Agree 3

Andersen

Condolences, I had to clear a house and it's not a nice job. Plenty of good advice in the posts above.

Offer family & friends the chance to take keepsakes or anything else they want / like.

We put a lot of reasonable ornaments into the local auction house for a quick easy sale - price we got was an insult (then fees deducted), would never advise that as a way to sell, just take to tip / charity shop.

Ebay? start price 99p, no reserve, to end Sunday eve. It's more hassle for you but you get realistic prices. Advertise as collect only if that works for you - no need to package & post items.

Don Coglione

British Heart Foundation quoted me £500 to clear everything out of my mum's house (which was full of, in the main, tat).

I bit the guy's hand off.

• Agree 1

Don Coglione
8 hours ago, Onsamui said:

Not sure about that. When I cleared out my grandmother's room at her nursing home, I borrowed a sign-written van. As soon as I drove into the tip, I was stopped and told that I would be fined, having been caught on camera. I explained that the van was borrowed and the contents were clearly the possessions of a deceased old lady. No dice. So I drove out of the tip, parked just outside the gate and carried everything in. That was OK, apparently.

Our local tip has been closed permanently and it takes weeks to get an appointment at the next nearest. Meanwhile, my council tax is over £2500 a year.

I never did receive a fine though.

• Agree 1

spunko
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Don Coglione said:

British Heart Foundation quoted me £500 to clear everything out of my mum's house (which was full of, in the main, tat).

As in you pay them £500? That's quite steep considering they are going to flog that all on again.  I suppose if you want an easy solution then it's certainly one.

I  remember trying to give my old sofa away to the BHF for free. I thought I was doing a 'good deed'. The two BHF migrant staffers turned up, said "it has dog hair on it" and turned their noses up and went away. I was quite offended given that I had cleaned it beforehand and am famously fastidiously clean. Maybe I should have paid them? Chancers.

Anyway, back on topic, OP mentions "we". Is that"we" as in your siblings? Make sure now that anyone who wants to (and has the right to) go through the belongings does so, because loads of families have fallen out over missing or chucked out items that they wanted post-death....

Edited by spunko

Sasquatch

I'm pretty good on mid century teak and rosewood items. Sometimes very decent value in these if they are the right maker or style. Put up some photos and I'll see if I can spot any gems.

sleepwello'nights

We were fortunate when our mother died as my elder sister purchased the house and wanted everything left. We were saved the bother of trying to sell or dispose of mum's possessions. Mind you even though we left pretty much everything we were accused of stripping the house bare!!!!

It is sad seeing someone's accumulated possessions being thrown away. There was a guy who lived close by who I knew by sight and would occasionally chat to about the weather and inconsequential stuff like that who died unexpectedly. I think he was late fifties, maybe early 60's. He was unmarried and lived on his own. His brother arranged for the house to be cleared. I remember a skip appearing outside his house and being filled with lots of his stuff, I noticed old cameras, bits of furniture, electric appliances, books, all the everyday stuff we surround ourselves with. Our treasures end up as junk. 

Reminds me to start clearing the stuff I've got but never use and old clothes I never wear.  

• Agree 1

Don Coglione
15 hours ago, spunko said:

As in you pay them £500? That's quite steep considering they are going to flog that all on again.  I suppose if you want an easy solution then it's certainly one.

I  remember trying to give my old sofa away to the BHF for free. I thought I was doing a 'good deed'. The two BHF migrant staffers turned up, said "it has dog hair on it" and turned their noses up and went away. I was quite offended given that I had cleaned it beforehand and am famously fastidiously clean. Maybe I should have paid them? Chancers.

Anyway, back on topic, OP mentions "we". Is that"we" as in your siblings? Make sure now that anyone who wants to (and has the right to) go through the belongings does so, because loads of families have fallen out over missing or chucked out items that they wanted post-death....

Yes, I paid them £500. Self-designated "house clearers" wanted £1500-£2000. Getting rid of stuff is very difficult these days and no-one wants tat, so the charities end up binning much of what they collect anyway.

• Informative 1

23 hours ago, Don Coglione said:

That is the nature of the business. They have to pay the van people, and have to store it. It seems like they are getting "free stuff", but then they have to sell it.

Onsamui
20 hours ago, spunko said:

Thanks for that but my brothers have had what they want.  

Onsamui
20 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

I'm pretty good on mid century teak and rosewood items. Sometimes very decent value in these if they are the right maker or style. Put up some photos and I'll see if I can spot any gems.

Thank you will be doing photos soon so will put some pic up.