DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Working with glass panels

nirvana

Question

nirvana

Right I've got a funky kitchen idea cos I'm a modernista Picasso kind of dude and I don't really like tiles......I do like the little itty bitty ones a la mediterranean stylee lol

Anyway, 6mm thick glass 1meter tall, can I cut this myself with one of those glass cutters?

Then I've got 8 pieces that I'm gonna line up for the 'splashback' and I want to paint them in 2 colours probs, so can I use any paint?

And I want to attach them at the top with like a long metal L shaped strip methinks, unless any other ideas for holding them in place?

cheers

6 answers to this question

onlyme
1 hour ago, nirvana said:

Right I've got a funky kitchen idea cos I'm a modernista Picasso kind of dude and I don't really like tiles......I do like the little itty bitty ones a la mediterranean stylee lol

Anyway, 6mm thick glass 1meter tall, can I cut this myself with one of those glass cutters?

Then I've got 8 pieces that I'm gonna line up for the 'splashback' and I want to paint them in 2 colours probs, so can I use any paint?

And I want to attach them at the top with like a long metal L shaped strip methinks, unless any other ideas for holding them in place?

cheers

Should be toughened glass, so no you won't be able to cut them yourself most likely, could take them to glass place and get them to cut for you if you already have all the panels you need.

Paint, would have thought a bonded film /vinyl would work better for solid colour at least (on reverse of glass), better consistently and less likely to cloud /flake, not sure even seen a glass paint outside of fake enamelling type products,  some may exist and depends what effect you want.

They are often just bonded with adhesive, any strip that makes a captive edge should work though - u / s shape even.

• Informative 1

nirvana
14 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Paint, would have thought a bonded film /vinyl would work better for solid colour at least (on reverse of glass)

I've got some 'satin acrylique paint' will the glass take that on the inside? I might even try and make the brush strokes stand out and see what sort of effect it makes

I'd thought about the stick in vinyl wrap stuff but it's not cheap even from aliexpress...i've got 8 pieces each 39.5cm wide and 1 meter tall, so that's like just over 3 square meters....I think I need to go down the paint route lol

Bobthebuilder
17 hours ago, nirvana said:

I've got some 'satin acrylique paint' will the glass take that on the inside? I might even try and make the brush strokes stand out and see what sort of effect it makes

I'd thought about the stick in vinyl wrap stuff but it's not cheap even from aliexpress...i've got 8 pieces each 39.5cm wide and 1 meter tall, so that's like just over 3 square meters....I think I need to go down the paint route lol

Back in the day when I used to fit kitchens we used to make templates out of 4 mm MDF. A guy used to make them as @onlyme says out of toughened glass, and they were spray-painted on the reverse in the chosen colour. We used to attach them with non silicone adhesive, silicone would damage the paint and show through the finished item. They were a bit posh like, with holes for sockets and switches cut out.

• Cheers 1

onlyme
25 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

Back in the day when I used to fit kitchens we used to make templates out of 4 mm MDF. A guy used to make them as @onlyme says out of toughened glass, and they were spray-painted on the reverse in the chosen colour. We used to attach them with non silicone adhesive, silicone would damage the paint and show through the finished item. They were a bit posh like, with holes for sockets and switches cut out.

@nirvana Spray enamel might be the best way to go for solid /even colour-suppose if it stick to and makes a drub film on metals then glass should work if cleaned/prepped properly.

Didn't;t know about silicone issues, good tip.

https://housetrick.com/spray-painting-glass/

• Cheers 1

nirvana
49 minutes ago, Bobthebuilder said:

They were a bit posh like, with holes for sockets and switches cut out.

yeah I was posh like that ages ago, now I just like to live like a tramp xD

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, nirvana said:

Film like this is good.. use a bit of water with a small amount of washing up liquid in, a squeegee blade and wallpaper roller for bubbles.. 

https://www.evowrap.co.uk/product/white-frosted-window-film

As a thought: (may age /look naff) is it worth getting an led strip to push light into the glass? Costs a few tens of pounds but can look cool (especially if colour change option).. this sort of stuff: https://www.wholesaleledlights.co.uk/1m-rgb-colour-led-strip-lights-60-led-m-5050-5-x-5mm-14-4-watts-per-metre-330-1020-lumens.html?infinity=ict2~net~gaw~ar~61756684305~kw~~mt~~cmp~PLA - LED Strip Lights~ag~LED Strip lights&gclid=Cj0KCQjw--GFBhDeARIsACH_kdb6qUG9uJxVVgkeOmrT-WVWX2aUfRn7FT_Ux2psk5W6-Db8Fj7Ga1AaAvlwEALw_wcB

Looks like this 

https://www.glass-outlet.co.uk/products/splashbacks/finishes/white-led-lit-glass-kitchen-splashback/

Edited by Herby
Added demo pic
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 1