• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Chewing Grass

Aurora Watch - Red Alert

1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

Are you a ham?

Oh yes, more of a saveloy really.O.o. I listen to all sorts. About a week ago I was hearing Sheffield, coming out of the local Weston repeater.

Just now, MrPin said:

Oh yes, more of a saveloy really.O.o. I listen to all sorts. About a week ago I was hearing Sheffield, coming out of the local Weston repeater.

My friend is a HAM. He currently has one of those upside down umbrellas in his back garden. And he's bought a rather nifty new aerial for his landy. 

2 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

My friend is a HAM. He currently has one of those upside down umbrellas in his back garden. And he's bought a rather nifty new aerial for his landy. 

That's great Sarah. Everyone needs an unnecessarily expensive hobby, that makes sense to nobody else. I too have an umbrella thingy.

2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

That's great Sarah. Everyone needs an unnecessarily expensive hobby, that makes sense to nobody else. I too have an umbrella thingy.

I was sat in his radio room one day and he was chatting to a bloke who lived just down the road from my mum. I love the nosiness of it. 
He was saying how easy the foundation is to do.

Just now, sarahbell said:

I was sat in his radio room one day and he was chatting to a bloke who lived just down the road from my mum. I love the nosiness of it. 
He was saying how easy the foundation is to do.

Go to your local radio club and get your licence. It's free chat, so I don't understand why women don't do it more.

Just now, MrPin said:

Go to your local radio club and get your licence. It's free chat, so I don't understand why women don't do it more.

:-D
No it's bizarre really that it's mostly men chatting across the world.

52 minutes ago, MrPin said:

And I'd note that it is only the HF side that is expensive (the 'big aerial' stuff) -- VHF and UHF can be relatively inexpensive.

Anyway, I like this map for aurora probabilities (not that I ever see any).

aurora-forecast-northern-hemisphere.jpg

Went for a walk last night about 1am to watch the show, too much moonlight and cloudy but still a visible green glow and occasional patterns. Sun gobbed some plasma in our direction a few days back and this is the result.

15 minutes ago, dgul said:

And I'd note that it is only the HF side that is expensive (the 'big aerial' stuff) -- VHF and UHF can be relatively inexpensive.

Anyway, I like this map for aurora probabilities (not that I ever see any).

aurora-forecast-northern-hemisphere.jpg

It's not coming my way yet then?

Serious VHF/UHF people have rotating antennas on long pylons. These are expensive. HF just needs a bit of wire sometimes.