• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Chewing Grass

Aurora Watch - Red Alert

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

Are you a ham?

Oh yes, more of a saveloy really.O.o. I listen to all sorts. About a week ago I was hearing Sheffield, coming out of the local Weston repeater.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MrPin said:

Oh yes, more of a saveloy really.O.o. I listen to all sorts. About a week ago I was hearing Sheffield, coming out of the local Weston repeater.

My friend is a HAM. He currently has one of those upside down umbrellas in his back garden. And he's bought a rather nifty new aerial for his landy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

My friend is a HAM. He currently has one of those upside down umbrellas in his back garden. And he's bought a rather nifty new aerial for his landy. 

That's great Sarah. Everyone needs an unnecessarily expensive hobby, that makes sense to nobody else. I too have an umbrella thingy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MrPin said:

That's great Sarah. Everyone needs an unnecessarily expensive hobby, that makes sense to nobody else. I too have an umbrella thingy.

I was sat in his radio room one day and he was chatting to a bloke who lived just down the road from my mum. I love the nosiness of it. 
He was saying how easy the foundation is to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sarahbell said:

I was sat in his radio room one day and he was chatting to a bloke who lived just down the road from my mum. I love the nosiness of it. 
He was saying how easy the foundation is to do.

Go to your local radio club and get your licence. It's free chat, so I don't understand why women don't do it more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MrPin said:

Go to your local radio club and get your licence. It's free chat, so I don't understand why women don't do it more.

:-D
No it's bizarre really that it's mostly men chatting across the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, MrPin said:

That's great Sarah. Everyone needs an unnecessarily expensive hobby, that makes sense to nobody else. I too have an umbrella thingy.

And I'd note that it is only the HF side that is expensive (the 'big aerial' stuff) -- VHF and UHF can be relatively inexpensive.

Anyway, I like this map for aurora probabilities (not that I ever see any).

aurora-forecast-northern-hemisphere.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went for a walk last night about 1am to watch the show, too much moonlight and cloudy but still a visible green glow and occasional patterns. Sun gobbed some plasma in our direction a few days back and this is the result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, dgul said:

And I'd note that it is only the HF side that is expensive (the 'big aerial' stuff) -- VHF and UHF can be relatively inexpensive.

Anyway, I like this map for aurora probabilities (not that I ever see any).

aurora-forecast-northern-hemisphere.jpg

It's not coming my way yet then?

Serious VHF/UHF people have rotating antennas on long pylons. These are expensive. HF just needs a bit of wire sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Pin is listening for his coded activation from Moscow.

Pin does indeed speak with Moscow, and Iceland, and Wales.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.