DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Crap car thread

UmBongo

TheBlueCat
2 minutes ago, Herby said:

The one out of that list I always find odd is Churchill on Attlee. Churchill defended Attlee against his own side on quite a few occasions and Attlee was one of Churchill's pallbearers. It's clear they actually had a huge amount of respect for each other. I guess Churchill couldn't keep his mouth shut when a funny thought entered his head.

TheBlueCat
8 minutes ago, Bien Pensant said:

There's no accounting for taste but I actually do like it. It's probably a POS mechanically but I do quite like the shape.

Yes, fair enough, I quite liked the TR7 - similar combination of "interesting" bodywork and shit mechanicals - so I'm not one to speak!

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Yes, fair enough, I quite liked the TR7 - similar combination of "interesting" bodywork and shit mechanicals - so I'm not one to speak!

There was a TR8 as well IIRC.. And the Fiat X19... :) 

Lovely Looking... 

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Now I've had to think long and hard to remember the model name.

Yugo Sana - Don't think there is a single one left in the UK as its not on the 'how many left' list.

As a consequence of late night eBay browsing, some years back, I can assure you there most definitely is. 

• Lol 2

11 hours ago, Sugarlips said:

Christ, what did you own prior, Trabant?

It was my first car, many great memories. Bomb proof simplicity apart from the rust that got it in the end. The seat belts actually had nothing to attach to. Still wish I had kept it though. A couple of touches with the magic sparkly stick and she'd have been right again. They are fetching decent money now.

Edited by 23rdian

TheBlueCat
1 hour ago, Herby said:

There was a TR8 as well IIRC.. And the Fiat X19... :) 

Lovely Looking... 

TR8, twice as many cylinders to go wrong! 

@Chewing Grass There are still one or two Yugo Sana's around:

One of the worst cars sold in the UK was the Polish built FSO Polonez (1978-1992). It was a hatchback design on a 1960s Fiat 125 chassis. Zero quality control and regularly got last place in car magazines' budget car road tests. 1980s comedians made jokes about Skoda's and Ladas but FSOs were were worse. I’d love to have a spin in one to find out how bad they were.

FSO Polonez

14 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

One of the worst cars sold in the UK was the Polish built FSO Polonez (1978-1992). It was a hatchback design on a 1960s Fiat 125 chassis. Zero quality control and regularly got last place in car magazines' budget car road tests. 1980s comedians made jokes about Skoda's and Ladas but FSOs were were worse. I’d love to have a spin in one to find out how bad they were.

FSO Polonez

15 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

FSO Polonez

Ah, I remember a chum of mine had one like this. In that colour too.

FSO_125p_(Polski_Fiat_125p)_Front.jpg

• Agree 1

Happy Renting
On 05/06/2021 at 00:07, MrPin said:

One of my friends bought one new. The spare wheel got stolen several times.

What, the thieves decided the wheel was so crap they gave it back?

Edited by Happy Renting

Happy Renting
19 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

The V8 in TR8s was pretty solid, unlike the TR7's straight 4.

9 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

TR7           107BHP

TR7 V8      130BHP

The extra weight was hardly worth the effort.

They made some TR7s with the Dolomite Sprint engine which had similar performance to the V8.

The V8 was produced to satisfy the American Market's penchant for underpowered V8s.

maynardgravy

image.png.82a510b0064f3e19e8a38d6c72c180a9.png

the first car i remember my old man getting.

A right fanny magnet...

..if the fanny in question had a magnet of its own up it, with the same pole facing out.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 2

6 hours ago, maynardgravy said:

image.png.82a510b0064f3e19e8a38d6c72c180a9.png

the first car i remember my old man getting.

A right fanny magnet...

..if the fanny in question had a magnet of its own up it, with the same pole facing out.

They weren't popular in YORKSHIRE, do to the "Fourth Wheel Surcharge" on the VED.

• Informative 1

13 hours ago, Option5 said:

TR7           107BHP

TR7 V8      130BHP

They made some TR7s with the Dolomite Sprint engine which had similar performance to the V8.

The V8 was produced to satisfy the American Market's penchant for underpowered V8s.

Is that figure correct, 130 BHP from a three and a half litre V8? 

1 minute ago, Rare Bear said:

Yes, probably, I thought 145, but I may be wrong.

4 minutes ago, MrPin said:

I've just had a quick look at wiki and it looks like the US spec detoxified ones were indeed about 133 BHP. Horrifying, an ohv engine in the 1970s with a specific output which might have been acceptable in the 1930s.

On 06/06/2021 at 08:25, UmBongo said:

FSO Polonez

I remember sitting in a Polenez at the Birmingham MotorShow back in the 90s and some of the dashboard trim actually had bluetack holding it in. 

Edited by 23rdian
  • Lol 3

Kurt Barlow
On 04/06/2021 at 23:00, DTMark said:

The Ford Orion.

It made every corner seem like you were navigating the edge of a fifty pence piece.

images.jpg

Wierd- I had a dream the other night of Boris Johnson driving one of those with private hire vehicle plates on it. Similar colour as well. 

Perhaps his next career move. 

4 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Wierd- I had a dream the other night of Boris Johnson driving one of those with private hire vehicle plates on it. Similar colour as well. 

Perhaps his next career move. 

I was actually pretty impressed with the the ride of the original Ford Onion. A fit girl in my sixth form gave me a lift in hers.

• Cheers 1

Kurt Barlow
1 minute ago, 23rdian said:

I was actually pretty impressed with the the ride of the original Ford Onion. A fit girl in my sixth form gave me a lift in hers.

No testing out the back seat? 

Bedrag Justesen
On 06/06/2021 at 00:52, TheBlueCat said:

14 hours ago, Happy Renting said:

13 hours ago, Option5 said:

TR7           107BHP

TR7 V8      130BHP

32 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

30 minutes ago, MrPin said:

22 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

I've just had a quick look at wiki and it looks like the US spec detoxified ones were indeed about 133 BHP. Horrifying, an ohv engine in the 1970s with a specific output which might have been acceptable in the 1930s.

TR7V8, or TR8, may well have left the factory with around 130bhp but the ease of tuning the 3.5 litre unstressed V8 to over 150bhp with a simple change of parts meant few were driven as standard.

This was back when engine blueprinting was a way of fettling for extra power.

Rather like in those old black & white British movies wherein the getaway driver would collect the Mk2 Jag from a back street lock up in a railway arch, after it was tickled up by somebody usually called Shorty, who was connected to motor racing and working for criminal gangs on the side.

Apart from being easily tuned up, the old Buick aluminium motor was more reliable than the Triumph 4 cylinder engines, and actually lighter.

The 16v Dolomite Sprint engine fitted to a prototype TR7 Sprint famously boiled itself when tested by a German car magazine on a 3 mile high speed run.

It's hard to believe now, but back when Tony Pond was performing miracles driving these Triumph cars, they were generally thought to be pretty desirable.

If you parked up outside a country pub in your TR8 with a low rumbling woofle, and a dolly in a short skirt you were on a par with the Milk Tray Man. 

http://www.team.net/TR8/Conversions/Englbs.html

• Informative 2
  • Cheers 1

Bigging up the Allegro here.

My first car.  Must have been 1984.  It was 10 years old then - I remember it cost me £495.  

Got a lot of stick - but worked pretty well for me.  Got me, three mates and a car full of camping gear (plus roofrack) to and from Cornwall 300 miles away. 

Square steering wheel was a bit odd though.

• Agree 2

35 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

TR7V8, or TR8, may well have left the factory with around 130bhp but the ease of tuning the 3.5 litre unstressed V8 to over 150bhp with a simple change of parts meant few were driven as standard.

Rather like in those old black & white British movies wherein the getaway driver would collect the Mk2 Jag from a back street lock up in a railway arch, after it was tickled up by somebody usually called Shorty, who was connected to motor racing and working for criminal gangs on the side.

Apart from being easily tuned up, the old Buick aluminium motor was more reliable than the Triumph 4 cylinder engines, and actually lighter.

The 16v Dolomite Sprint engine fitted to a prototype TR7 Sprint famously boiled itself when tested by a German car magazine on a 3 mile high speed run.

It's hard to believe now, but back when Tony Pond was performing miracles driving these Triumph cars, they were generally thought to be pretty desirable.

If you parked up outside a country pub in your TR8 with a low rumbling woofle, and a dolly in a short skirt you were on a par with the Milk Tray Man. 

Tony Pond in fact reckoned that the TR8 was a much less useful rally car than the Rover V8. The Rover shell was lighter and the visibility was much better for the driver.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Actually, blueprinting was a pretty expensive way if getting the last little bit of power. Except when the rules forbade any modifications. Thus in Formula Ford, where the rules specified an untuned Cortina GT engine, a Chris Steele untuned engine cost about ,£400 whereas a standard non untuned engine cost less than a hundred quid.

• Agree 2