DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

What’s it called?

Libspero

Question

Libspero

My father needs to hoist an engine out of a boat..  it’s about 100kg.

I was going to suggest setting up a small a-frame in the boat,  another larger one supported by the wall of the house..  then running a scaffolding pole across the two.   

The idea would be to hoist up the engine using a pulley block and tackle,  slide the block from the boat to the ground,  then lower the engine onto a pallet to work on the prop shaft before reversing the process and putting it back.

My two questions are:  

1) Does anyone know if a 2m scaffolding pole supported end to end will take 100kg in the middle?

2) What kind of bearing could be used to run along a 50mm scaffolding pole and what is it called?  I want to call it a runner bearing or some such,  but whatever I search for I don’t seem to find anything.  I literally just want a 50mm traveller that I can suspend the pulley block from.  Any ideas?

7 answers to this question

onlyme

What sort of work prop shaft is needed - does it need to leave the boat at all - could you dead lift vertically, then plank out a working platform over the cockpit, lower engine onto that and work there?

A steel scaffold pole of 2m should hold 100kg.

I've used an engine hoist to about 2m, could build a makeshift platform out of breeze block to raise the engine hoist, then move the trailer and boat away - just using the engine hoist to dead lift vertically and then down.

Libspero
2 hours ago, XswampyX said:

Engine crane... rent one.

https://youtu.be/rA9zjVM8Dbk

Good suggestion,  I did consider that.. except the cap-rail of the boat on the trailer is at about head height.  The engine would need to clear that so perhaps around 2.5 meters high.

I’ve never seen an engine hoist that goes that high..  Can you get them?

Libspero
2 hours ago, onlyme said:

What sort of work prop shaft is needed

Thanks OM..  New dripless shaft seal,  plus possibly some reparatory work around prop housing..  nothing too major.

Was thinking it was easiest just to get the engine right out and take a good look at things..  but plan B may be just to lift it up in the boat and see if we can make do.   I’ll report back with an update..   however it pans out. 

Libspero
Posted (edited)

@onlyme was quite correct..  we managed to remove the prop shaft just by lifting the engine up on some wonky planks with a pair of badly anchored scissor jacks.

Corporate EHS would have screamed the house down..  not by the use of Heath Robinson lifting apparatus..  but our flagrant lack of PPE, covid masks or high vis jackets :D

A29-B13-CE-1446-4193-8320-249837-F05937.

:Passusabeer:

Edited by Libspero
  • Lol 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Libspero said:

@onlyme was quite correct..  we managed to remove the prop shaft just by lifting the engine up on some wonky planks with a pair of badly anchored scissor jacks.

Corporate EHS would have screamed the house down..  not by the use of Heath Robinson lifting apparatus..  but our flagrant lack of PPE, covid masks or high vis jackets :D

A29-B13-CE-1446-4193-8320-249837-F05937.

:Passusabeer:

Nice one, couple of options there to improve a little bit for next time (its a boat) - stopping the screw jacks racking / shifting - clamp the bases or drill holes into the clamp bases and bolt them to the bearer boards, no problem with the weight, just unwanted movement, you'd have been massively under the rated load.

Also the same as car, when in lifted position slide in a solid support of sorts underneath so even if load holding element fails the load has nowhere to go.

• Agree 1