DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Self-testing

Don Coglione

Don Coglione

This may have been covered before, but I can't be arsed to trawl through the entire sub-forum.

If you decide to jump through the required hoops for travel, say, how can these self-administered tests be relied upon? As I understand it, you receive a kit through the post, stick a swab up your nose and/or in your throat, put the swab in a vial and send it off to a laboratory, which then communicates the result of the test a day or so later. Is this correct?

What is to stop you sticking the swab up the cat's arse, for example, rather than up your nose? I suppose the lab would know that the presence of cat shit on the swab would indicate that you had not complied with the testing regime and thus not provide you with the result for freedom. Instead of the cat's arse, what about running the swab under the kitchen tap?

Am I missing something, or is this testing bollocks an exercise in coercion and compliance, as it surely cannot be reliable?

Wight Flight
1 minute ago, Don Coglione said:

This may have been covered before, but I can't be arsed to trawl through the entire sub-forum.

If you decide to jump through the required hoops for travel, say, how can these self-administered tests be relied upon? As I understand it, you receive a kit through the post, stick a swab up your nose and/or in your throat, put the swab in a vial and send it off to a laboratory, which then communicates the result of the test a day or so later. Is this correct?

What is to stop you sticking the swab up the cat's arse, for example, rather than up your nose? I suppose the lab would know that the presence of cat shit on the swab would indicate that you had not complied with the testing regime and thus not provide you with the result for freedom. Instead of the cat's arse, what about running the swab under the kitchen tap?

Am I missing something, or is this testing bollocks an exercise in coercion and compliance, as it surely cannot be reliable?

I don't think you can self test for travel.

The service BA were offering when abroad was that you did a zoom call with a doctor, they had to witness the opening of the test, shoving it up your hooter, and resealing the envelope.

I guess there are ways around it, but might be tricky.

• Informative 1

Don Coglione
2 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

The service BA were offering when abroad was that you did a zoom call with a doctor, they had to witness the opening of the test, shoving it up your hooter, and resealing the envelope.

I asked the question as I have been reading up on people's experience on Flyertalk.

As far as I can determine, I have got it bang-on. Not that I intend to travel anywhere until this bollocks disappears.

Wight Flight

I asked the question as I have been reading up on people's experience on Flyertalk.

As far as I can determine, I have got it bang-on. Not that I intend to travel anywhere until this bollocks disappears.

You may be correct.

My info is from a few weeks ago. It could be entirely different now.

However, I am still seeing people ask on Facebook where they can get a test locally, I think to go away you do need a face to face test.

Testing on return may be different.

King Penda
9 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

2 tests

• Informative 1

Don Coglione
2 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

You may be correct.

My info is from a few weeks ago. It could be entirely different now.

However, I am still seeing people ask on Facebook where they can get a test locally, I think to go away you do need a face to face test.

Testing on return may be different.

Fill your boots:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2040370-ba-40-pcr-test.html

• Informative 1

Democorruptcy
18 minutes ago, Don Coglione said:

As long as they have your money, anything you do with the test is within the rules.

• Cheers 2

DTMark
23 minutes ago, Don Coglione said:

What is to stop you sticking the swab up the cat's arse, for example, rather than up your nose?

The indignity of being diagnosed with Feline Leukemia Virus

• Lol 3

JoeDavola
23 minutes ago, Wight Flight said:

The service BA were offering when abroad was that you did a zoom call with a doctor, they had to witness the opening of the test, shoving it up your hooter, and resealing the envelope

Yes one can see why it takes 7 years of medical school to verify whether someone has shoved something up their nose correctly or not.

• Lol 1

Lateral flow tests are a piece of piss, no idea how accurate they are though. We've done them a few times to reassure older family visitors. Swab throat/nose, swirl stick in provided liquid, drip it onto test gizmo (looks like a pregnancy test), wait half hour, look at lines that appear. I resent doing it, but it really is very easy and unintrusive. 

WorkingPoor

8:25am

Airport testing system is 'on verge of collapse' as provider warns of missed flights

The airport testing system is "on the brink of collapse" a provider has warned as it said more holidaymakers could miss flights due to "unprecedented demand".

Chaos is being caused by Covid laboratories being overwhelmed with pre-departure PCR tests being sent ahead of flights and results being lost, delayed or returning unclear findings. 

Ross Tomkins MD of British Healthcare company Salutaris People, which provides rapid PCR testing at Liverpool John Lennon Airport, has warned people face disappointment to their summer holiday plans having already seen people miss flights. 

He said: "It is clear to see that the laboratories are overwhelmed with the sheer volume of testing kits being sent in by airline passengers eager to get away on holiday. We can clearly see that the laboratory testing is now at capacity and is on the verge of collapse. 

"This is only going to get worse, rather than better, and will lead to many disappointed holidaymakers and airline passengers, whose plans could be seriously affected."

Don Coglione

I am flying to Northern Ireland next month. At present, I am supposed to carry out a Lateral Flow Test prior to departure and on days 2 and 8 after arrival. These tests do not require the sending off of a swab to a laboratory for testing, this is done at home and the result is reported online.

You don't even have to stick the swab up the cat's arse, just report that you have done the test (which you do need to obtain from somewhere - my wife has some from work and I have requested a pack online from ukgov) and that it returned a negative result.

I appreciate that this is no use for people wishing to travel further afield than the Common Travel Area, but it still makes a mockery of the entire process. In fact, I almost feel that I am being trolled.

@JoeDavola, I recall that your parents were thinking of flying to the mainland? Same etiquette applies in reverse, ie NI-GB.

• Informative 2

NewryH
22 minutes ago, Don Coglione said:

I am flying to Northern Ireland next month. At present, I am supposed to carry out a Lateral Flow Test prior to departure and on days 2 and 8 after arrival. These tests do not require the sending off of a swab to a laboratory for testing, this is done at home and the result is reported online.

You don't even have to stick the swab up the cat's arse, just report that you have done the test (which you do need to obtain from somewhere - my wife has some from work and I have requested a pack online from ukgov) and that it returned a negative result.

I appreciate that this is no use for people wishing to travel further afield than the Common Travel Area, but it still makes a mockery of the entire process. In fact, I almost feel that I am being trolled.

@JoeDavola, I recall that your parents were thinking of flying to the mainland? Same etiquette applies in reverse, ie NI-GB.

Are you flying GB to NI?  If so - then is no need for any testing at all.

I flew a couple of times Jan and Apr this year.  Nothing needed other than self isolate for 10 days when you get to NI - yeah right.

• Informative 1

Don Coglione
1 minute ago, NewryH said:

Are you flying GB to NI?  If so - then is no need for any testing at all.

I flew a couple of times Jan and Apr this year.  Nothing needed other than self isolate for 10 days when you get to NI - yeah right.

This suggests otherwise (I note that it says "should" and not "must"):

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/coronavirus-covid-19-travelling-within-common-travel-area

Yadda yadda yadda

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/coronavirus-covid-19-travelling-within-common-travel-area

I think that is bollocks. You should do it not you must. Also it doesn't say where you report it.

Lateral flow tests can be picked up from almost any pharmacist. You get a pack of seven per person. Up to four people. So you can keep doing them until you pass. I'm not sure what happens if you report it to the NHS. Might be provided with evidence of passing or not 

NewryH
2 minutes ago, Don Coglione said:

OK - that's new then.

When I travelled there wasn't any mention of that at all - and that was peak second wave.

As you say 'should' rather than 'must and prove'.  If it was me, I'd take a test if I had symptoms and wouldn't fly if positive.

One thing about the airports in Jan / Apr was everything was shut apart from WH Smiths.  Might be different now with the big reopen.  Just a thought if you were looking for an overpriced hot meal to check.

Underwhelmed
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, LC1 said:

Lateral flow tests are a piece of piss, no idea how accurate they are though. We've done them a few times to reassure older family visitors. Swab throat/nose, swirl stick in provided liquid, drip it onto test gizmo (looks like a pregnancy test), wait half hour, look at lines that appear. I resent doing it, but it really is very easy and unintrusive. 

you can just report it online as negative using the serial no or QR code without even doing the test, there's no requirement to show proof of the 'lines' that appear; and then you get a text or email back confirming your self-diagnosis! A complete mockery as has been said. They are laughing at us.

Edited by Underwhelmed
  • Agree 5
  • Informative 2

Don Coglione
Just now, Yadda yadda yadda said:

I think that is bollocks. You should do it not you must. Also it doesn't say where you report it.

Lateral flow tests can be picked up from almost any pharmacist. You get a pack of seven per person. Up to four people. So you can keep doing them until you pass. I'm not sure what happens if you report it to the NHS. Might be provided with evidence of passing or not 

I will do a dummy-run and report to the NHS as soon as I receive my testing kit (you need the serial number on the little test thing to do so), assuming I don't have to give too much personal information. If you are given some sort of clearance, I will submit a negative test before departure, in case I meet an overly officious member of BA staff - I can do without the hassle of being denied boarding.

Naturally, I am hoping that all this bollocks is scrapped on 21st June anyway.

Chewing Grass
3 minutes ago, Underwhelmed said:

A complete mockery as has been said. They are laughing at us.

Being seen to be doing something and publicising how strict the rules guidelines are.

Government by fear through the media.

King Penda
On 06/06/2021 at 14:43, DTMark said:

The indignity of being diagnosed with Feline Leukemia Virus

😸 

NewryH
5 hours ago, Don Coglione said:

I will do a dummy-run and report to the NHS as soon as I receive my testing kit (you need the serial number on the little test thing to do so), assuming I don't have to give too much personal information. If you are given some sort of clearance, I will submit a negative test before departure, in case I meet an overly officious member of BA staff - I can do without the hassle of being denied boarding.

Naturally, I am hoping that all this bollocks is scrapped on 21st June anyway.

21st june is only for england. God knows what hoops will be needed in NI.