DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Antibody testing - is this a ''thing'' for covid-19?

maffo
Posted (edited)

Well, is there an easy test to show if you're immune through having antibodies from a prior covid infection?.

If so, I would like to know 👍🏻🙂

Edited by maffo
swiss_democracy_for_all
2 minutes ago, maffo said:

Well, is there an easy test to show if you're immune through having antibodies from a prior covid infection?.

If so, I would like to know 👍🏻🙂

Yes but :-

1. It's not free (or not here in Switzerland at any rate).

2. Even if you don't have antibodies you might have considerable T cell immunity.

3. Scariants might defeat any immunity you have (I don't believe this but that's what you'll be told).

4. I don't think it will get you a Covid passport unless you had a positive PCR test at the time of the infection.

In short, stop trying to avoid doing your duty you disgusting little man and present your shoulder to the kind nurse with the syringe immediately!

• Lol 4
Bricks & Mortar
1 minute ago, dgul said:

Probably.

But did you catch it more recently and didn't notice (because of prior infection)?

Probably not, because I live a fairly solitary existence now the pub wants your 'papers please'.  my work is outdoors, and I haven't been to a pub, cafe, restaurant, or pretty much anywhere in the whole 15 months.

But, as your comment seems to suggest antibodies re-appear after re-infection, I may try a test after next winters peak.

swiss_democracy_for_all
2 minutes ago, Bricks & Mortar said:

Probably not, because I live a fairly solitary existence now the pub wants your 'papers please'.  my work is outdoors, and I haven't been to a pub, cafe, restaurant, or pretty much anywhere in the whole 15 months.

But, as your comment seems to suggest antibodies re-appear after re-infection, I may try a test after next winters peak.

According to Dr John immunity is looking like being long-term. Antibodies drop off after a few months but the other kind of immunity persists in the bone marrow. Explained a bit here.

dgul
10 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

According to Dr John immunity is looking like being long-term. Antibodies drop off after a few months but the other kind of immunity persists in the bone marrow. Explained a bit here.

That's all true but it won't lead to measurable antibodies at 15 months.

It just means that upon infection the immune system makes new antibodies.

• Agree 1
Democorruptcy

When the NHS called me to book a jab, I refused but said they could send me the home antibody test kit, to see if I'd had covid 1984 last year. I got a "Oh no we can't do that". Why not?

Antibody tests are not widely available yet.

Free antibody tests are currently only available for certain people who:

• work in primary care, social care or education
  • are taking part in research

You can still have the antibody test if you've had the COVID-19 vaccine.

These tests are to help the NHS and scientists learn more about who has already had the virus and how it has spread in the UK.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/testing/antibody-testing-to-check-if-youve-had-coronavirus/

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
Democorruptcy
3 minutes ago, dgul said:

That's all true but it won't lead to measurable antibodies at 15 months.

It just means that upon infection the immune system makes new antibodies.

The nurse who is suing the Methodist hospital in the US because they are making jabs compulsory for staff, said she had covid 1984 a year ago and still has natural antibodies after a recent test for them.

Pinkpanther
8 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

When the NHS called me to book a jab, I refused but said they could send me the home antibody test kit, to see if I'd had covid 1984 last year. I got a "Oh no we can't do that". Why not?

My wife had classic symptoms and one of my kids had what could have been symptoms ln feb 2020.

I thought I may have had a very mild case in and through my work managed to get the antibody test.

It was 9 months after I thought I may have had it and it came back negative. 

So either I did not have it or there were no antibodies! 

• Informative 1
Harley

Can we clarity something please.  Antibodies give some protection but don't last?  What do T cells do?  Do they produce antibodies when required and do the T cells last?

norfolkhorn

I had an antibody test through my GP around 9 months after I'm fairly certain I had covid and it was negative. I was given it because I still had a cough (and still do). 

40 minutes ago, Bricks & Mortar said:

https://www.bupa.co.uk/health/payg/covid-testing

I would like to know how long after infection the test would pick up antibodies.  Is 15 months too long? 

Chewing Grass
3 minutes ago, Harley said:

Can we clarity something please.  Antibodies give some protection but don't last?  What do T cells do?  Do they produce antibodies when required and do the T cells last?

It's complicated and Antibodies are the last to get to the party.

Understanding Immunotherapy | LAB-A-PORTER

Figure 8.1. Divisions of the Immune System

• Informative 4
Harley
1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

It's complicated and Antibodies are the last to get to the party.

Understanding Immunotherapy | LAB-A-PORTER

Figure 8.1. Divisions of the Immune System

Ta, but nothing is complicated unless it confers an advantage.

dgul
38 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Notice how the body naturally offers a strong response to the N-protein, which we're not supplying in the vaccines.

Given the strongly mutable nature of the s-protein we're offering the immune system a taste of the bit that changes, whereas on natural infection the body responds to the far more stable N-protein.

• Informative 2
dgul
24 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

The nurse who is suing the Methodist hospital in the US because they are making jabs compulsory for staff, said she had covid 1984 a year ago and still has natural antibodies after a recent test for them.

Maybe, but as a nurse she's likely been infected since and her immune system protected her without symptoms -- and it produced a top-up of antibodies.

The Masked Tulip

FWIIW, I am pretty sure that I had it in later Nov through Dec 2019.

I am also pretty sure that I had it in March 2020.

I am also pretty sure that I had it again in the past 2 months.

Make of this what you will. Just putting it out there.

• Agree 2
sarahbell

The bloke I know who's been paid £25 a week for one LFT test gets an extra £25 for the blood sample for antibody testing.

They've had both jabs, him and his wife, and only she has antibodies

• Informative 2
lid

I think you just have to have an above room temperature IQ to be not a risk from the covid. If in doubt, take a thermometer with you 

swiss_democracy_for_all
6 minutes ago, dgul said:

Notice how the body naturally offers a strong response to the N-protein, which we're not supplying in the vaccines.

Given the strongly mutable nature of the s-protein we're offering the immune system a taste of the bit that changes, whereas on natural infection the body responds to the far more stable N-protein.

I think it's ok, if the world opens up now and has the courage to remain open, many will still get infected but with lesser symptoms, as we're currently seeing with the rise in cases in the UK, and in the process some more natural immunity will be acquired and spread throughout the population in addition to that produced by the vaccines. Maybe this wasn't the intention and it's a bit lucky, but that's what I reckon will happen.

My only remaining anxiety is the longterm effects of the vaccines are unknown, the results of the giant experiment will be in about 2024.

• Agree 4
Pinkpanther
2 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

The bloke I know who's been paid £25 a week for one LFT test gets an extra £25 for the blood sample for antibody testing.

They've had both jabs, him and his wife, and only she has antibodies

Same thing for my Mum and Stepdad. However Its only my Step-dad who has Antibofies.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 2
Harley
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

FWIIW, I am pretty sure that I had it in later Nov through Dec 2019.

I am also pretty sure that I had it in March 2020.

I am also pretty sure that I had it again in the past 2 months.

Make of this what you will. Just putting it out there.

Yep, Dec 2019 for me.  Quite quick but knocked me for six to the point I just lied there for a day in the end to get over it.  Finished just in time for Christmas!  I still got tired and dizzy (went to the docs in the end and had a scan in an empty hospital) and can still get tired but that's just the usual post viral stuff/ageing us contributors have to put up with!  Felt odd for a while after my partner recently came back from her jab!  She had pretty much zero effect from her jab.  Think I've got a keeper, if she doesn't kill me first!

Edited by Harley
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
WorkingPoor

So these vaccine survey scummers are demonstrating that the vaccines only produce antibodies in 50% of the population?