DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Side effects of protein supplements

maffo

Roger_Mellie
19 minutes ago, ElKapitan84 said:

Y'see, if this were reversed, the husband would be getting the blame.  So let's just say, did it cost him his marriage, or did his wife's complacency cost her her marriage?

No, it was definitely him. Interesting set up: she's nice looking, slim, intelligent and wealthy, but aging.

Ultimately couldn't compete with the dumb, young, slappers hanging around her husband and her husband's ego. 

He's made a massive mistake, he just doesn't know it yet. He's mid 40s now but in a few years his back, shoulders and knees will be completely fucked from all the lifting, the dumb little slags will all have disappeared and after the kids leave home his wife will probably settle with an equally intelligent, equally wealthy bloke and have a very nice life. 

56 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Off the top of my head think most the research points to even less than that, 120g is a upper limit for most people unless you're on the gear. Protein supplements are a scam unless you really can't eat proper meals for certain reasons. Eggs, yogurt, chicken, steak, nuts, fish job done. 

I have two shakes a day. Their usefulness is long-life and easy to store and transport..

Roger_Mellie
6 minutes ago, Stuey said:

I have two shakes a day. Their usefulness is long-life and easy to store and transport..

I used to have BCAA on training days in addition to normal supplements, I don't know if it was placebo but I came to the conclusion it was magic powder. Sip on some during training, then a dose after. My muscles never got sore and my progress accelerated. I need to get some more. 

• Informative 1

Kurt Barlow
4 hours ago, gibbon said:

Off the top of my head think most the research points to even less than that, 120g is a upper limit for most people unless you're on the gear. Protein supplements are a scam unless you really can't eat proper meals for certain reasons. Eggs, yogurt, chicken, steak, nuts, fish job done. 

Going above that is a complete waste unless you have an allotment cos your piss is going to be nitrogen rich and makes a superb organic fertiliser. 

• Informative 1
  • Lol 1

Napoleon Dynamite

I used get through a lot of protein shakes, and they no doubt helped me get bigger. 

Really not sure about them though.  Didn't always feel great in the periods when drinking them.

I think a lot of it is shipped in from China as cheap as possible, so who knows what you're getting.

22 hours ago, Stuey said:

I've been considering buying some whey just to have shake in the morning as I find it impossible to eat any large amount of protein in the morning. So that's 7 hours from waking with f all protein. The price of whey these days though! I remember when it was £30 for 5kg. Now it's £110 for 5kg  

28 minutes ago, gibbon said:

I've been considering buying some whey just to have shake in the morning as I find it impossible to eat any large amount of protein in the morning. So that's 7 hours from waking with f all protein. The price of whey these days though! I remember when it was £30 for 5kg. Now it's £110 for 5kg  

I tend to just get the ready made ones now. This is my usual pre-workout...

b19adfa3-8cf5-49e1-88f7-14f1d00b387a_161934639.jpeg

• Agree 1

ElKapitan84

Protein shakes have come a long way.  The stuff from Raw Sport not only tastes fine but is loaded with BCAAs, creatine, etc.  Expensive though.

Stuff I used years ago was like ineffective concrete powder.

Edited by ElKapitan84
  • Lol 2

11 hours ago, Stuey said:

I tend to just get the ready made ones now. This is my usual pre-workout...

b19adfa3-8cf5-49e1-88f7-14f1d00b387a_161934639.jpeg

Looks good but pricey. Bit the bullet and ordered some whey from phd nutrition. 4kg for £39 delivered seemed like a decent deal and should last me a few months as only want one scoop in the morning. Have to accept whey is going to be a necessary evil due to my inability to eat much protein in the morning.

Edited by gibbon

Just eat a proper diet instead of pissing about with supplements or as soon as you stop you’ll just deflate like a balloon.

• Lol 1

8 hours ago, SNACR said:

Just eat a proper diet instead of pissing about with supplements or as soon as you stop you’ll just deflate like a balloon.

9_9

• Agree 1

Bear Hug
On 20/07/2021 at 22:19, gibbon said:

Looks good but pricey. Bit the bullet and ordered some whey from phd nutrition. 4kg for £39 delivered seemed like a decent deal and should last me a few months as only want one scoop in the morning. Have to accept whey is going to be a necessary evil due to my inability to eat much protein in the morning.

Chia seed + linseed pudding with some nuts or some other seeds mixed in. That would be ~20% protein. I had that every morning last 4 months since switching away from porridge. 

• Informative 1

Pork is good value, cheap protein. 

£3 for 125g of protein, plus enough fat to keep you going for a day. 

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/256564625

Real un-processed animal protein from meat, eggs, etc., does add up quite quickly. Half a packet of this plus a couple of eggs for breakfast and you're already on 80g or so. 

On a side note, I've been told and read in various sources that we can't process more than around 30-40g of protein in a sitting, so I'm not sure how it would work if you were trying to get 120g or so a day whilst intermittent fasting / OMADing.

Personally my approach is to go for the cleanest, most unprocessed animal protein possible, plus eggs, nuts, etc, then top up the calories for the day if needed with cream and butter ( in cooking or bullet proof coffees ).  Add some seasonal local fruit and veg on top, served with cream or cooked / served with butter as appropriate.

All I feel I'm really missing is a organ meats to add variety. I never got on with liver, and it would do me good if I could train my palate to at least tolerate it a bit better.

Edited by MvR
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, MvR said:

Pork is good value, cheap protein. 

£3 for 125g of protein, plus enough fat to keep you going for a day. 

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/256564625

Real un-processed animal protein from meat, eggs, etc., does add up quite quickly. Half a packet of this plus a couple of eggs for breakfast and you're already on 80g or so. 

On a side note, I've been told and read in various sources that we can't process more than around 30-40g of protein in a sitting, so I'm not sure how it would work if you were trying to get 120g or so a day whilst intermittent fasting / OMADing.

Personally my approach is to go for the cleanest, most unprocessed animal protein possible, plus eggs, nuts, etc, then top up the calories for the day if needed with cream and butter ( in cooking or bullet proof coffees ).  Add some seasonal local fruit and veg on top, served with cream or cooked / served with butter as appropriate.

All I feel I'm really missing is a organ meats to add variety. I never got on with liver, and it would do me good if I could train my palate to at least tolerate it a bit better.

Liver/kidneys, eggs, canned tuna, cottage cheese are some of the few sources of cheap but complete protein. You'll need good seasoning & sauces though!

Beans, nuts and pulses are ok but don't make a complete protein in their own so need careful combining with wheat, etc. Although I think cashew nuts have now been classed as a complete protein

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, MvR said:

On a side note, I've been told and read in various sources that we can't process more than around 30-40g of protein in a sitting.

Pretty sure that's been debunked.

1 minute ago, snaga said:

Pretty sure that's been debunked.

I thought it might have been. It's fairly old-school advice it seems, but I couldn't find anything debunking it myself.

It doesn't make evolutionary sense. Our ancestors would presumably have eaten as much as possible from a kill while it was fresh.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, MvR said:

I thought it might have been. It's fairly old-school advice it seems, but I couldn't find anything debunking it myself.

It doesn't make evolutionary sense. Our ancestors would presumably have eaten as much as possible from a kill while it was fresh.

exactly, why would the body waste half of that 10oz T-Bone steak your just ate?

Controversy exists about the maximum amount of protein that can be utilized for lean tissue-building purposes in a single meal for those involved in regimented resistance training. A long-held misperception in the lay public is that there is a limit to how much protein can be absorbed by the body. From a nutritional standpoint, the term “absorption” describes the passage of nutrients from the gut into systemic circulation. Based on this definition, the amount of protein that can be absorbed is virtually unlimited. Following digestion of a protein source, the constituent amino acids (AA) are transported through the enterocytes at the intestinal wall, enter the hepatic portal circulation, and the AA that are not utilized directly by the liver, then enter the bloodstream, after which almost all the AA ingested become available for use by tissues. While absorption is not a limiting factor with respect to whole proteins, there may be issues with consumption of individual free-form AA in this regard. Specifically, evidence shows the potential for competition at the intestinal wall, with AA that are present in the highest concentrations absorbed at the expense of those that are less concentrated

How much protein can the body use in a single meal for muscle-building? Implications for daily protein distribution (nih.gov)

edit: if you're taking amino acid supplements, then don't take them after a high protein meal.

Edited by snaga
  • Informative 1

Bear Hug
3 hours ago, Stuey said:

Liver/kidneys, eggs, canned tuna, cottage cheese are some of the few sources of cheap but complete protein. You'll need good seasoning & sauces though!

Beans, nuts and pulses are ok but don't make a complete protein in their own so need careful combining with wheat, etc. Although I think cashew nuts have now been classed as a complete protein

Not heard about the complete thing until now but it's all good! 

https://www.dummies.com/food-drink/cooking/ingredients-for-cooking/chia-the-power-of-a-complete-protein/

Chia is a great source of protein — not only is chia made up of 21 percent protein, but it’s a high-quality complete protein that our bodies crave.

5 hours ago, Bear Hug said:

Chia seed + linseed pudding with some nuts or some other seeds mixed in. That would be ~20% protein. I had that every morning last 4 months since switching away from porridge. 

Why did you switch away from porridge, as that's my usual breakfast, more protein?

So this chia + linseed pudding...you have that with yogurt or milk?

Bear Hug
5 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Why did you switch away from porridge, as that's my usual breakfast, more protein?

So this chia + linseed pudding...you have that with yogurt or milk?

More protein, fewer carbs. I usually add almond milk. Sometimes: regular milk, butter, yogurt. 

Add a little psyllium husk (works as a laxative, I need if when avoiding carbs). I avoid fine powder form of that. When it's a powder, it seems to have more smell and taste, not the best smell or taste either. 

Mix with hot water, let it stand and expand, then add milk to improve taste and cool it down. 

22 hours ago, Bear Hug said:

More protein, fewer carbs. I usually add almond milk. Sometimes: regular milk, butter, yogurt. 

Add a little psyllium husk (works as a laxative, I need if when avoiding carbs). I avoid fine powder form of that. When it's a powder, it seems to have more smell and taste, not the best smell or taste either. 

Mix with hot water, let it stand and expand, then add milk to improve taste and cool it down. 

High protein diets do slow down "transit" or rather its end point...I usually need 30-40mins to complete the task. Dosbods catch up time, so I can multi task...B|

Bear Hug
24 minutes ago, Stuey said:

High protein diets do slow down "transit" or rather its end point...I usually need 30-40mins to complete the task. Dosbods catch up time, so I can multi task...B|

Yes, I struggled too when eating just meat. Lots of fibre in nuts and seeds resolved that though.