Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

  • 0

Have I buggered my impact driver?


Fully Detached
 Share

Question

Fully Detached

Got a little carried away with my impact driver the other day, and now it looks like this - it's just the spring mechanism for the chuck loader thingie, but I have absolutely no idea where the little washer came from or if it can be put back together. Anyone got any suggestions?

 

20210609_173137_resized.jpg

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
30 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

Got a little carried away with my impact driver the other day, and now it looks like this - it's just the spring mechanism for the chuck loader thingie, but I have absolutely no idea where the little washer came from or if it can be put back together. Anyone got any suggestions?

 

20210609_173137_resized.jpg

Probably easier just to replace the bit holder, it won't be a lasting repair. I can't see what brand it is but Makita sell a load of spares for their stuff.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
Fully Detached
12 minutes ago, Loki said:

Probably easier just to replace the bit holder, it won't be a lasting repair. I can't see what brand it is but Makita sell a load of spares for their stuff.  

Thanks, and good point about it being a short term fix - it's a cheapo Ryobi so I'll have a look and see if I can buy a replacement, otherwise I'll buy a new one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
Just now, Fully Detached said:

Thanks, and good point about it being a short term fix - it's a cheapo Ryobi so I'll have a look and see if I can buy a replacement, otherwise I'll buy a new one.

Yeah unfortunately with parts like that, even if you get it back together, once it's come apart once, it comes apart easier and easier!

  • Lol 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
One percent
1 hour ago, Fully Detached said:

Got a little carried away with my impact driver the other day, and now it looks like this - it's just the spring mechanism for the chuck loader thingie, but I have absolutely no idea where the little washer came from or if it can be put back together. Anyone got any suggestions?

 

20210609_173137_resized.jpg

What’s an impact driver?  Sounds interesting. :)

  • Lol 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
Fully Detached
11 minutes ago, One percent said:

What’s an impact driver?  Sounds interesting. :)

Steady on, old girl! 

  • Lol 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
Andersen
7 hours ago, One percent said:

What’s an impact driver?  Sounds interesting. :)

Big boys toys ;) 

You can get different shapes, sizes, colours depending what you like, a great invention - it spins around the same time as "hammer action" (more of a rapid vibration really) does good things. Most have variable speeds, if you're going to use it a lot best spend some extra and get a well made one with a big rechargeable battery - a single charge will last all day :D 

Avoid the cheap ones, I bought one and gave it away the next day as it just didn't do what I wanted. I have a professional one that gets used a lot (you should borrow one - you'll soon see why you need one !), I'm working away from home most of time and have a compact / ladies one with me - the wife next door saw it and keeps "borrowing" it, I always feel like I'm spoiling her fun when I ask for it back - she loves it and has said a few times it has changed her life, she is now looking to buy one of her own :x 

  • Informative 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
9 hours ago, One percent said:

What’s an impact driver?  Sounds interesting. :)

The one I had years ago didn't have a motor.

You hold it as you would a screwdriver and then hit it hard with a hammer. The force of the hammer gives a twist to the driver that (hopefully) unscrews the stuck screw or bolt.

  • Informative 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
4 hours ago, jm51 said:

The one I had years ago didn't have a motor.

You hold it as you would a screwdriver and then hit it hard with a hammer. The force of the hammer gives a twist to the driver that (hopefully) unscrews the stuck screw or bolt.

Old Rawlplug hammer drill bits for their plugs used to be like that - a fluted piece of steel and skinny handle. You twisted the drill bit with fingers of one hand  whilst hammering the handle end it to create the hole for the rawlplug.

The manual impact driver tools are still available and used - mainly by mechanics, welting the end with the hammer helps with releasing flat head and philips types heads as it drives the bit into the screw from whilst applying the torque, helping to prevent shredding the head but applying maximin torque.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...