DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

NHS Treatment and Waiting Times

MrLibertyRedux

MrLibertyRedux

Well everyone, I posted in another thread a while back that I have an inguinal hernia and I would post back with further details as regards treatment (I lost top tier BUPA when I left my last job and assumed the waiting times would be that bad I would have to pay up and go private)

Timeline as follows.

Discovered it as I went to have a shower in the morning on the 7th of May (had one before on the other side when I was 19 so knew what it was). Phoned my GP first thing and had a call back in less than two hours.

GP face-to-facea appointment the next working day on 10th May 09:45

Saw NHS consultant at local hospital last Friday 11th June.

Operation scheduled for Friday 25th June (Yes - this year!)

Considering the current circumstances I thought that was very good.

Anyone else had any NHS experiences during all this?

Edited by MrLibertyRedux
spellink
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 2
  • Cheers 4

jamanda

Yes.  I had a mammogram early January.  Found lump.  Tests, scans, operation, radiotherapy.  All finished over a month ago.  They were absolutely brilliant, no delays and lots of phone calls to see if I was OK or had any questions.

I've been very lucky, as I know not all areas are the same and many face delays.

All gone now.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Cheers 5

sarahbell
40 minutes ago, eight said:

Daughter is currently suffering nosebleeds. GP might as well not exist.

Keep a diary. Pre-empt them on that one.

My son used to get them. horrific. He very occasionally gets one now.

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

wherebee

I think from what I hear from F&F in the UK, the NHS is a postcode lottery.  Good location, good GP = best in the world.  bad location, shite GP = unbelievably awful.

• Agree 3

• 3 weeks later...
MrLibertyRedux

Forgot to post an update. Had this done at the end of last week.

Total time from the morning I discovered it to being operated on was 7 weeks and one day.

Pretty damn good I thought.

Also making a lot better recovery than the one I had on the other side when younger (pre-mesh repairs). Last time I could barely get out of bed or stand up straight. This time I was wandering around making breakfast the morning after.

Wouldn't have liked to be without the codeine mind.

• Cheers 7

Democorruptcy
1 hour ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

Forgot to post an update. Had this done at the end of last week.

Total time from the morning I discovered it to being operated on was 7 weeks and one day.

Pretty damn good I thought.

Also making a lot better recovery than the one I had on the other side when younger (pre-mesh repairs). Last time I could barely get out of bed or stand up straight. This time I was wandering around making breakfast the morning after.

Wouldn't have liked to be without the codeine mind.

Have you got a good magnet? Have a quick check to see if they have left any tools in there.

• Lol 3

MrLibertyRedux
9 minutes ago, Democorruptcy said:

Have you got a good magnet? Have a quick check to see if they have left any tools in there.

Lol! Mum was a theatre nurse. She once caused a right stink when there was an incorrect swab count and the consultant tried to brush it off - she was having none of it.

Don't know about now but back in the day it used to happen a fair bit I think.

Considering how well I'm recovering I think I'm probably alright.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

Considering how well I'm recovering I think I'm probably alright.

That would make a great epitaph.

Right up there with "Either that wallpaper goes or I do".

• Lol 3

Iamcynical
On 14/06/2021 at 15:56, MrLibertyRedux said:

Well everyone, I posted in another thread a while back that I have an inguinal hernia and I would post back with further details as regards treatment (I lost top tier BUPA when I left my last job and assumed the waiting times would be that bad I would have to pay up and go private)

Timeline as follows.

Discovered it as I went to have a shower in the morning on the 7th of May (had one before on the other side when I was 19 so knew what it was). Phoned my GP first thing and had a call back in less than two hours.

GP face-to-facea appointment the next working day on 10th May 09:45

Saw NHS consultant at local hospital last Friday 11th June.

Operation scheduled for Friday 25th June (Yes - this year!)

Considering the current circumstances I thought that was very good.

Anyone else had any NHS experiences during all this?

I had the same recently.  I think I did it playing football at the end of September.  Dragged my feet for quite a while and eventually saw the doc at the beginning of December.  Didn't get to see the registrar until January.  I was told it was a 9 month wait on the NHS.  I made plans to go private and had my appointment booked, when I spoke to the doc to get my referral letter he was very apologetic.  I then shortly after (and just days before my private consultant appointment) received a call saying the NHS could do it soon.  I had it done at a hospital that normally does knees, hips etc but was quiet apparently because most  patients had cancelled, through virus fear presumably.  I finally had the op at the beginning of March. 

• Informative 2

MrLibertyRedux
Just now, Iamcynical said:

I had the same recently.  I think I did it playing football at the end of September.  Dragged my feet for quite a while and eventually saw the doc at the beginning of December.  Didn't get to see the registrar until January.  I was told it was a 9 month wait on the NHS.  I made plans to go private and had my appointment booked, when I spoke to the doc to get my referral letter he was very apologetic.  I then shortly after (and just days before my private consultant appointment) received a call saying the NHS could do it soon.  I had it done at a hospital that normally does knees, hips etc but was quiet apparently because most  patients had cancelled, through virus fear presumably.  I finally had the op at the beginning of March. 

Interesting. I had mine done at a hospital nearby that does private patients rather than the main local place. Don't have a full understaning of what the setup is, but they mainly do knees, hips et cetera too. I assumed last week that the NHS were contracting out, but they do deal with a lot of NHS patients apparently. Apart from the hernia day ward I was on (six beds), everyone else was twenty years older than me and obvious knee and hip type stuff.

Iamcynical
2 minutes ago, MrLibertyRedux said:

Interesting. I had mine done at a hospital nearby that does private patients rather than the main local place. Don't have a full understaning of what the setup is, but they mainly do knees, hips et cetera too. I assumed last week that the NHS were contracting out, but they do deal with a lot of NHS patients apparently. Apart from the hernia day ward I was on (six beds), everyone else was twenty years older than me and obvious knee and hip type stuff.

Near m1 j30 by any chance?! 

• Cheers 1

Bus Stop Boxer
2 hours ago, Democorruptcy said:

Have you got a good magnet? Have a quick check to see if they have left any tools  jabs in there.

• Lol 1

Heart's Ease
3 hours ago, Democorruptcy said:

Partner had a needle left inside after a reasonably routine op. In and out of consciousness afterwards and could remember bits of conversation outside the door that something was amiss. Couple of hours later was back in theatre for them to find it and take it out. It was spotted on a post op x-ray. Surgeon was matter of fact that needles are so fine that they can ping onto the floor and not be found during the count. Was also matter of fact that if they hadn't looked for it straight after the x-ray, it would have moved and been impossible to find again. But it wouldn't have set off airport alarms (!). Just a bit of titanium, innit. 

Private hospital, doing work for NHS. Got a nice letter from CEO afterwards.

• Informative 2

Rare Bear
1 hour ago, Heart's Ease said:

Partner had a needle left inside after a reasonably routine op. In and out of consciousness afterwards and could remember bits of conversation outside the door that something was amiss. Couple of hours later was back in theatre for them to find it and take it out. It was spotted on a post op x-ray. Surgeon was matter of fact that needles are so fine that they can ping onto the floor and not be found during the count. Was also matter of fact that if they hadn't looked for it straight after the x-ray, it would have moved and been impossible to find again. But it wouldn't have set off airport alarms (!). Just a bit of titanium, innit. 

Private hospital, doing work for NHS. Got a nice letter from CEO afterwards.

Don't think a magnet would be much use at finding bits of titanium.