DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Gardening - Anyone know how to get rid of this weed ?

Snake Plissken

Question

Snake Plissken

This weed appeared last year I think in the corner of the garden. Think its now some sort of super spreading weed, stayed green through winter and has appeared all over garden and in patio etc. Tried some weed killer, it killed it partially but lots still there. When you cut it back seems very dense at the bottom. The close up photo is some of it after putting boiling water on it to show how dense it gets down near the soil.

DSC_0282.JPG

DSC_0283.JPG

DSC_0285.JPG

11 answers to this question

Libspero

Can't find it in any "top 10 invasive weeds" lists..  Have you tried just digging it out or spraying with glyphosate? 

Snake Plissken

After this rain just tried to dig it out, will keep trying but it goes back very far. Like i need a massive spade to lever it. Trying to get the spade or fork inbetween it is impossible its so dense

Oi! Hachenochloa is a lovely plant, not a weed. :D

That looks like tussock sedge to me, get rid of it now if it is because it'll be a right pain to remove shortly. I've got loads, have to strim and poison it but it still comes back.

If that bit where it grows is often waterlogged or damp then it's very likely that anyway.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tussock+sedge&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch

Maybe tufted sedge.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tufted+sedge&tbm=isch

Screenshot 2021-06-18 at 18-06-34 giant sedge - Google Search.png

Just to update, glyphosate/roundup works to an extent. It'll kill it, but if you let it get bigger then it'll still need to be dug or pickaxed out when dead. I had to use a mattock and the things were dead, plus there's still about 5 left.

They're bog plants so if it's saturated ground that's undoubtedly what they are.

Snake Plissken

I wouldn't say its saturated ground but it looks very similar to that tufted sedge. I'll have another go with the tools to dig it out later in the week. Might try and get a matock as need to be able to chop it a bit to be able to get it out as it goes back a couple of feet.

Will also have a look at the weedkiller already tried and see if there is something stronger, but worry about the neighbourhood pets. If I get it out does that putting down a tarpuline work ? Could see this thing just coming back it I pull it out and do nothing else.

Shamone
20 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

I wouldn't say its saturated ground but it looks very similar to that tufted sedge. I'll have another go with the tools to dig it out later in the week. Might try and get a matock as need to be able to chop it a bit to be able to get it out as it goes back a couple of feet.

Will also have a look at the weedkiller already tried and see if there is something stronger, but worry about the neighbourhood pets. If I get it out does that putting down a tarpuline work ? Could see this thing just coming back it I pull it out and do nothing else.

Glyphosate won’t harm animals.

Caught my dog licking the plants I'd just sprayed with glyphosate once, was preparing for the worst and panicking but seems to be fine still, years later. Wouldn't recommend it though!

Problem nowadays is that only farmers can get the proper old-school glyphosate. The stuff they sell for the amateur is useless, thanks to the EU. I always double the dose recommended. If you know a farmer then offer to buy some off him, they pay literally about 1/50th of the price (cos they use so bloody much of it :S)

Edited by spunko

nirvana

looks like 'tufty grass' I like it! Keep it....

nobody really knows the environmental impact of stuff like glyphosate as it gradually builds up in the environment and more and more tiny critters keep ingesting it O.o

Bornagain

Gallup360 is available on eBay and Amazon.

It is a 36% solution of Glyphosate.

It will kill almost anything.