• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

String theory applied to car repairs

OK, interesting bit of work but what actually happened? what happened to the person driving the van - fined for this bit of work, for example? Was the van confiscated? How about a definition of how this actually failed the MOT/unroadworthiness test to educate others contemplating a 'Heath Robinson' job like this.. the So-Called BBC has missed a lot of details out in this story.

7 hours ago, MrPin said:

String is wonderful stuff. It is the answer to most engineering problems. Along with epoxy glues and blu-tak.

No mention of WD-40 pin? o.O

20 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

OK, interesting bit of work but what actually happened? what happened to the person driving the van - fined for this bit of work, for example? Was the van confiscated? How about a definition of how this actually failed the MOT/unroadworthiness test to educate others contemplating a 'Heath Robinson' job like this.. the So-Called BBC has missed a lot of details out in this story.

I think you are onto something. There is no mention of how they "work" in the MOT guidelines!

http://www.mot-test.net/mock-test/wipers-and-washers/

34 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

I think they would have to prove it was not effectively clearing the windscreen (unless there's something in C&U), it seems to be the passenger side after all. If you have a look at some of Ed China's creations he's got a pizza for a steering wheel on one of them.

Very iffy things on some of these police crackdowns where they're almost desperate to find stuff. I had them once (also the CPMG who are the ones of the So-Called BBC Motorway Cops who seem a bit attention seeking) make an employee turf all the stock they were moving out the back of their private estate car as they said they didn't have a business insurance policy but firstly I don't think it's their place to look after the interests of a commercial insurance business and as it happened the company fleet policy covers all staff to use their private vehicles for anything.

Edited by SNACR