DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Flange Immunity

unregistered_guest

unregistered_guest

I've been meditating on the term, 'herd immunity'. And I'm sure it's already been done to death in another thread that I've not read...

But, to me it looks like an odd choice of collective noun. As if we were a collection of cattle, mooching about waiting to be milked.

I suppose flock immunity would be worse. That could apply equally well to both sheep and chickens.

And then it dawned on me, as I considered the tea-drinking chimps of Twycross Zoo, who entertained us so well by aping human behaviours...

What if our BLAZE TV watching friends are actually right, and there are super-intelligent aliens out there, directing humanity from the shadows?

That would mean, all this Covid bullshit and the ridiculous rituals woven into it are not the handiwork of Matt 'fucking hopeless' Hancock, Bill 'blue screen of death' Gates or even Tony 'spray on sincerity' Blair.

Instead, it has all been set up purely for the entertainment of a bunch of tentacled blobs from the planet Xog, who are probably, even as I am typing this, saying things like, "Oh do play that clip of the bald ape from Sol 3 wearing a mask in his car again, Daddy. It always makes me laugh!" 

This is where I turn in desperation to experts who possess a greater grasp of the corpus of scientific exposition on the social impact of extraterrestrial encounters - so that would be @The Masked Tulipand @DTMark. Because I'm sure this didn't pop out of my subconscious from nowhere.

Is it a poorly-remembered fragment of a Space 1999 story arc or an element of the Sarah Jane Adventures left incomplete due to the death of Elisabeth Sladen?

What do the hive mind think?

• Lol 1

unregistered_guest

By the way, I am well aware that flange is not recognised by our American friends as a collective noun for baboons. They, apparently prefer the term 'congress'. It is, for them, perhaps more apt.

• Lol 2

Flange always sounds vaguely rude to me. Similar to clunge.

• Agree 2
  • Lol 3

Van Lady

For many years this advert stuck in my head.

When things were going well then some kind of new and unexpected misfortune struck I always imagined that beings like that were plotting what to send me next then laughing as I muddled on.

I freaked out for a while years later when I discovered ancestor simulation theory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulation_hypothesis

I have never played computer games but I suppose the sims game allows a player to simulate control of others lives.

Who knows what reality is?

• Agree 2

The Masked Tulip
21 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

I've been meditating on the term, 'herd immunity'. And I'm sure it's already been done to death in another thread that I've not read...

But, to me it looks like an odd choice of collective noun. As if we were a collection of cattle, mooching about waiting to be milked.

I suppose flock immunity would be worse. That could apply equally well to both sheep and chickens.

And then it dawned on me, as I considered the tea-drinking chimps of Twycross Zoo, who entertained us so well by aping human behaviours...

What if our BLAZE TV watching friends are actually right, and there are super-intelligent aliens out there, directing humanity from the shadows?

That would mean, all this Covid bullshit and the ridiculous rituals woven into it are not the handiwork of Matt 'fucking hopeless' Hancock, Bill 'blue screen of death' Gates or even Tony 'spray on sincerity' Blair.

Instead, it has all been set up purely for the entertainment of a bunch of tentacled blobs from the planet Xog, who are probably, even as I am typing this, saying things like, "Oh do play that clip of the bald ape from Sol 3 wearing a mask in his car again, Daddy. It always makes me laugh!" 

This is where I turn in desperation to experts who possess a greater grasp of the corpus of scientific exposition on the social impact of extraterrestrial encounters - so that would be @The Masked Tulipand @DTMark. Because I'm sure this didn't pop out of my subconscious from nowhere.

Is it a poorly-remembered fragment of a Space 1999 story arc or an element of the Sarah Jane Adventures left incomplete due to the death of Elisabeth Sladen?

All powerful aliens who toy and play with Humanity have long been the stuff of TV Sci Fi. Star Trek has had quite a few episodes along this line but so have many more. Think of a Sci Fi show from the 60s and 70s and it would probably be quicker to name the ones that did not have it. The same is true of comic books - I recall the UK's 2000AD comic having one such story. But so has South Park, American Dad and Futurama. 

To answer you specific question - Space 1999. Yes, this happened. 

'Dragon's Domain' was one where a tentacled alien was basically mind controlling and living off the essence of humans.

space1999lunchbox2.jpg

But you are probably thinking of the 2-parter 'The Bringers of Wonder' where mind controlling aliens toyed with humans.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQm-j9Yj-SosHQCuUPAWjD

Neither were god-like creatures though. Space 1999 had a couple of those. One had Peter Bowles playing the alien intent on controlling everyone. But he was not tentacled.

th?id=OIP.58wM9DrKxcSHeAWHWmkKzgEsDh%26p

unregistered_guest
11 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

All powerful aliens who toy and play with Humanity have long been the stuff of TV Sci Fi.

Who are you?
What do you want?

12 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

One had Peter Bowles playing the alien intent on controlling everyone.

I remember that one. Proper scary for a kid's Sunday afternoon TV programme. How do you get rid of an immortal psychopath who believes that your pain is his 'art'?

Mirror Mirror
58 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

a) I believe the term ‘herd immunity’ is borrowed from the field of veterinary medicine and epidemiology.

b) Hive mind is singular.

c) If this really were alien ant farm, they would have scraped us into the bin, washed out the petri dishes and started over by now.

Edited by Mirror Mirror
  • Cheers 1

Did anyone else learn the collective nouns for gorillas (whoop) and baboons (flange) from Gerald the Gorilla?

• Agree 1
  • Cheers 1

Yadda yadda yadda
1 hour ago, Mirror Mirror said:

a) I believe the term ‘herd immunity’ is borrowed from the field of veterinary medicine and epidemiology.

b) Hive mind is singular.

c) If this really were alien ant farm, they would have scraped us into the bin, washed out the petri dishes and started over by now.

Perhaps we are in the bin?

• Lol 1

unregistered_guest
1 hour ago, Yadda yadda yadda said:

Perhaps we are in the bin?

Shhhhh!

That's the sort of crazy talk that will get you admitted to the highest ranks of certain religions...

[Earth] was subsequently abandoned by the Galactic Confederacy and remains a pariah "prison planet" to this day, 

• Lol 1

Long time lurking
5 hours ago, unregistered_guest said:

What drugs have you been taking lately and do you have any spare 

Long time lurking
5 hours ago, Funn3r said:

You need a moist in there somewhere 

• Lol 1

4 hours ago, Long time lurking said:

You need a moist in there somewhere 

You dampened my noun of choice..

Stephen Hawking's opinion was that if ever there were to be a race of aliens who came across our planet - the idea that their intelligence would mean that they would be benevolent and they share their wisdom with us seems fanciful.

He posited that it's much more likely that they'd be interested in stealing our resources, maybe even putting a Dyson sphere around our sun in order to steal its energy.

For the scenario outlined in the opening post - there would have to be something that the aliens want for them to go to such elaborate lengths in manipulating mankind. Doctor Who tried this in a story in the comeback series but the reason it failed spectacularly is that the audience was left to wonder quite what the aliens stood to gain by spending their time manipulating the outcomes of such trivial things as the election of one president in one country on one planet.

Perhaps the most realistic attempt at such a story was the series V in which the aliens came holding out the hand of friendship but what they were actually after was stealing the water and also humans for food. It was presumably easier for them to unwittingly get the humans to work for them than it was to try to kill everyone and take the water and humans by force.

Edited by DTMark
  • Agree 1

dillinger
On 19/06/2021 at 18:18, Funn3r said:

I thought it was one of those middle Eastern groups but that's the Phalanges.