• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Shaneyson

Bob Dylan

On Tuesday this week I was having a conversation at work with someone I had known for a long time. He mentioned that he was a big fan of Bob Dylan as I am as well. Well God damn that man I haven't been able to listen to anything since that conversation except Bob Dylan.

He mentioned that Dylan never claimed the credit for any of the stuff he had written and that he was merely a channel for a higher source. After five solid days of listening I think Bob may have a point. I don't know any other songwriter who can express so much emotion or tell a whole story using such few words. So I am going to throw out my three favourite tracks for anyone who may not be familiar with them in order of  personal preference:

Not Dark Yet

One More Cup of Coffee

Changing of the Guard

As Bob has such a huge catalogue I would be interested to hear others choices as there will most likely be many I haven't heard before.

3 hours ago, Shaneyson said:

It is hard to say that he has a good voice, but he has had many different styles of singing over the years.

Went to see Bob, supported by Merle Haggard, audience reaction to Merle incredibly hostile, when he started Okie From Muskogee he had to stop....until they stopped throwing things at him. R.I.P. Merle.

The next band came on, thought they were good, seemed weird when they did an almost unrecognisable version of Positively 4th Street, singer was awful............

That was Bob.  

I liked his early stuff but, coming to it many years after the event, I was a bit lost because of the sheer volume of his output.  A lot of it left me unimpressed but probably more because I didn't want to put the time in; much of it is layered rather than immediate.

His lyrics about the time of All Along the Watchtower were superb.

Whenever I have seen a clip of him live at other than his folkie peak I have found him terrible and reminding me of a great line by Mark Lamarr when complaining about karaoke evenings in his local:

"If I wanted to see a drunk bloke murdering a classic George Michael song then I'd go to a George Michael concert."

Idiot Wind.

Superb.

Reminds me of my ex so much.

Could have been written for her.

"We're idiots babe, it's a wonder we can even feed ourselves"

Love it. Love it Love it.

His songs cover well enough, but as with Neil Young whose voice grates with many, it HAS to be like that.

That's how it came out, so thats how its got to sound. Can't imagine anyone else singing Idiot Wind.

Which is why the fucking X Factor and all the other wobbly mouthed, wannabbee  Aguillero shows grind my gears.

Polished anaemic fake "soul" imparted. Piss off. Piss right fucking off.

People are losing the ability to listen to music.

Thankyou, i feel better now.

Edited by shindigger

Thank God he was not given the Nobel Prize for hamonica playing

A lot of great songs in his back catalogue but plenty of duds too

I am not sure he is really a better poet than Leonard Cohen.

Personally I think like many artists all his best creativity was early in his career and particularly before he went electric though I have to admit I have not listened to much of his stuff after Blood On The Tracks.

In many ways he is a voice from a different era whose music reflects the 1950s and 1960s

6 hours ago, Virgil Caine said:

Thank God he was not given the Nobel Prize for hamonica playing

A lot of great songs in his back catalogue but plenty of duds too

I am not sure he is really a better poet than Leonard Cohen.

Personally I think like many artists all his best creativity was early in his career and particularly before he went electric though I have to admit I have not listened to much of his stuff after Blood On The Tracks.

In many ways he is a voice from a different era whose music reflects the 1950s and 1960s.

Neither the 50s or 60s was one of my generations but I still find his music resonates. It would be a stiff contest choosing between Cohen and Dylan in a poetry contest, I think personally Dylan is better but I don't know a lot of Cohens back catalogue.

One of my favourite albums is one of his little liked called "A shot of love" from  the 1980s with more upbeat songs on it.

Thanks for the recommendation @shindigger I hadn't heard that one before.

There might be a better protest song than Dylan's Masters of War but I haven't heard it.

A song dedicated to all warmongering bastards.

Sadly it will never go out of date or be irrelevant.

Edited by Virgil Caine