DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

New version - Ranks feature

spunko

Should Ranks be enabled or disabled?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Frank Hovis

That's impressive work for a "newbie"!

They were turned on for my football board a few weeks ago and because they weren't retrospective long established posters were finding themselves getting the "contributor" badge for ten posts or whatever.

There were a few grumbles from the "likes" merchants but they're encouraging for new members and the rest of us can simply live with them.

A net positive IMO.

Posted (edited)

Ranks are some sort of Facebook-style 'badge' system where if you've been a member for X years or you've liked X number of posts you get a badge and so forth.

Screenshot 2021-06-23 at 13-45-14 Achievement Rules.png

Edited by spunko

Chewing Grass

Not interested, badges are not credible stats and being old of sight I can really differentiate between them, stick with numbers, its simples.

• Agree 2

Fully Detached

Personally I'd get rid of ranks and reps, I think they have a tendency to distort both posts and reactions. It's just facebookification, unless I'm missing something else they bring to the table.

Please rep this post if you agree.

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1
  • Lol 4
  • Cheers 1

Frank Hovis
2 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

Personally I'd get rid of ranks and reps, I think they have a tendency to distort both posts and reactions. It's just facebookification, unless I'm missing something else they bring to the table.

Please rep this post if you agree.

I disagree.

I think "likes" have value because if you're new or an occasional poster to the site then they act as a differentiator between somebody who simply posts a lot of empty comments and somebody who posts a lot of more worthwhile stuff.

If you're on the site a lot then you know without that feature but on a site on which you post rarely, like my football site where I might do half a dozen posts a month, it allows me to differentiate between the voluminous gobshites and people whose opinions and knowledge can be relied upon.

We're not Facebook; people are not posting things in order to garner likes.  If that was the case then yes I would want them chopped.

• Agree 6
  • Informative 1

Fully Detached
22 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I disagree.

I think "likes" have value because if you're new or an occasional poster to the site then they act as a differentiator between somebody who simply posts a lot of empty comments and somebody who posts a lot of more worthwhile stuff.

If you're on the site a lot then you know without that feature but on a site on which you post rarely, like my football site where I might do half a dozen posts a month, it allows me to differentiate between the voluminous gobshites and people whose opinions and knowledge can be relied upon.

We're not Facebook; people are not posting things in order to garner likes.  If that was the case then yes I would want them chopped.

Yes, that's fair enough. I just notice that I am not immune from facebookification style bias so for me personally I would like to see it removed, but hadn't thought of it so much from the point of view of newbies. 

• Agree 1

Frank Hovis

Whilst we're discussing likes @spunko is there any feature whereby I can block likes for a particular one of my posts?

What I'm talking about is where someone makes an outstanding post and I feel that a like is insufficient so I quote it to say how good it is, and to highlight it others, but then find people are liking my post despite its having no intrinsic merit because it is simply saying how good another post was.

The result is that I have become wary about making such posts to acclaim other posts because of the wholly undeserved likes that they tend to receive.

This is absolutely the most minor of minor gripes so please feel free to ignore!

• Agree 2

Conniption
3 hours ago, spunko said:

OK I've disabled them. Now to bring back the old reps under each person's photo.

I prefer living in an open and transparent meritocracy.

Thank you for everything you do, @spunko. I don't say it often enough. You're the best admin I have ever known.

• Agree 5
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Whilst we're discussing likes @spunko is there any feature whereby I can block likes for a particular one of my posts?

What I'm talking about is where someone makes an outstanding post and I feel that a like is insufficient so I quote it to say how good it is, and to highlight it others, but then find people are liking my post despite its having no intrinsic merit because it is simply saying how good another post was.

The result is that I have become wary about making such posts to acclaim other posts because of the wholly undeserved likes that they tend to receive.

This is absolutely the most minor of minor gripes so please feel free to ignore!

I don't think its possible sadly. Unless I disable all reps altogether for you or individual users - that may be possible.

I'm not going to get rid of reps though. It's what makes sites like the Daily Mail, Disqus and reddit better than many others, you can see what people think via the upvotes and downvotes, although of course the latter doesn't apply here.

• Agree 1

Long time lurking

Whats happened to the Avtar/border section is it just me ? but it`s all over the shop double avatars text running vertical 

I`m also noticing it`s taking an age for a new post to upload 

Edited by Long time lurking
  • Agree 1

You have to click on the user's profile to see their reputation now. I don't know why they moved it, I'll try to bring it back.

• Informative 1

Andersen

Thanks for the work on all of this, search results are looking better (and go back further - nice!), the number of posts / number of "likes" ratio was always a bit of fun & revealing, loosing that would be a shame.

ps loosing / losing, either is fine ... 

• Agree 2

It's probably possible to bring it back. I just can't be bothered (yet) to go through 100s of settings to find it. :D

• Informative 1

One percent
50 minutes ago, spunko said:

It's probably possible to bring it back. I just can't be bothered (yet) to go through 100s of settings to find it. :D

:CryBaby:

• Agree 1

Frank Hovis
49 minutes ago, spunko said:

See if this chap receives an answer in the forum; posted yesterday.

DesertIslandFruits

I apprichate the need for progression, but I have had some feedback that members don't like some of the new features.

Two things that I need to fix are:

1. Putting the Member Title Back in the PostBit.

2. Showing the rep points in the PostBit.

Can anyone advise how to do this please, I've searched through the reputation stuff and I simply can't find a way to turn it back on.  I only updated to remain secure with the lastest security patches.

Thank you.

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/462278-upgrade-46-titles-and-rep-points/

• Cheers 1

Frank Hovis
On 25/06/2021 at 23:06, spunko said:

Doesn't look like it's an option yet, according to that reply :S

There is a further post which appears to be linking to a solution for rep points which I cannot read as I'm not a forum member but you presumably are Spunko.

BTW that last update has fixed the earliest forum date issue for searches / posts / reps which had been rolling forward back to the forum start 25 March 2017.

Four years - wow!

Edited by Frank Hovis
  • Agree 1