DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Best qualifications

humdrum

humdrum

Obviously it depends upon what you want in life. Personally I am not that ambitious. As long as the family were fed and clothed, the bills paid and I had the feeling that I could tell the boss where to shove his job when he started to act like the boss, I was easy. So I went to a crap Poly and got a worse degree, but one that was in maths which was of no practical use to man nor beast, but did impress the hell out of employers.

Maths is about finding simple solutions to complex problems. Much of business life is about sitting in meetings with folk who will pad matters out until the Rapture because the last thing they want to do is go back to their desks. And of course your boss will look at you and think well, if the idle sod ever did any work I have never seen it. But he can integrate imaginary numbers so must be of some use. Which of course you ain't, but most managers are timid souls and don't like to take chances.

So, for a quiet life with little money but less work I reckon a qualification in maths is the way forward.

How about you guys?

• Informative 1

One percent
12 minutes ago, humdrum said:

Obviously it depends upon what you want in life. Personally I am not that ambitious. As long as the family were fed and clothed, the bills paid and I had the feeling that I could tell the boss where to shove his job when he started to act like the boss, I was easy. So I went to a crap Poly and got a worse degree, but one that was in maths which was of no practical use to man nor beast, but did impress the hell out of employers.

Maths is about finding simple solutions to complex problems. Much of business life is about sitting in meetings with folk who will pad matters out until the Rapture because the last thing they want to do is go back to their desks. And of course your boss will look at you and think well, if the idle sod ever did any work I have never seen it. But he can integrate imaginary numbers so must be of some use. Which of course you ain't, but most managers are timid souls and don't like to take chances.

So, for a quiet life with little money but less work I reckon a qualification in maths is the way forward.

How about you guys?

Experience. Trumps all. 

• Agree 4

humdrum
5 minutes ago, One percent said:

Experience. Trumps all. 

You have a point.

I have experienced hard work and don't recommend it.

• Agree 2
  • Lol 3

hmm. was invited to my old school 6th form ( 18 months ago) to speak with the current crop. kind of career advisor around my own field. Quickly transpired that my field was not "in scope" of them. So switched tact and got them to ask "what career could be replaced by automation / AI in the next 20 years".. Got them thinking... Happy to say some were in "people-based" roles like psychology, others in hands-on engineering, and some in veterinarian fields. No accountants / Doctor types there.

Think ahead. (IMHO) 

Bobthebuilder

Self employed (unemployed). Plumber, electrician. F##k math, who needs to know 10% of f##k all is f##k all.

• Cheers 1

Frank Hovis

Anything technical or practical where the qualification also represents the ability to do the job.

This can be anything from electrician and engineering C&Gs to accountancy and legal exams or as Pinny says driving qulaifications - car, HGV.

Degrees are generally single trick ponies in allowing you the access to jobs which require you to have a degree.

• Agree 4

On 28/06/2021 at 15:16, Frank Hovis said:

Anything technical or practical where the qualification also represents the ability to do the job.

This can be anything from electrician and engineering C&Gs to accountancy and legal exams or as Pinny says driving qulaifications - car, HGV.

Degrees are generally single trick ponies in allowing you the access to jobs which require you to have a degree.

Having both vocational and academic qualifications I agree 100% with this, you can take such skills anywhere worldwide, a machine will never be able to replace you, and when people need your services they have to have them rather than choosing  to have them I..e plumber/mechanic etc.

• Agree 3

AlfredTheLittle
On 27/06/2021 at 16:49, humdrum said:

How about you guys?

I always said I hated maths at school and gave it up as soon as possible. If I could go back now I would definitely focus on maths, I keep telling my son it's the easiest subject if you want to be lazy... no essays, quite fun problem solving, and as you say the potential for a great job at the end of it.

• Agree 1

humdrum
On 28/06/2021 at 15:16, Frank Hovis said:

This is true. My builder has disappeared three times to bury the same grandfather and died twice from Covid, but I have to put up with the son of a bitch otherwise he will never finish the roof.

Meanwhile, a friend's son has a degree in some sort of ology  and is waiting for the rain to stop. Then he can mow my lawn, which is about the only work the poor little bugger can find.

• Agree 1
  • Lol 1

Frank Hovis
8 minutes ago, humdrum said:

This is true. My builder has disappeared three times to bury the same grandfather and died twice from Covid, but I have to put up with the son of a bitch otherwise he will never finish the roof.

Meanwhile, a friend's son has a degree in some sort of ology  and is waiting for the rain to stop. Then he can mow my lawn, which is about the only work the poor little bugger can find.

Funny isn't it that with Brexit, which I 100% support, all the graduates who thought they would be in top paying jobs are cooling their heels in minimum wage jobs whilst the demand for workmen, builders, electricians, plumbers, exceeds their supply.

Because everyone was too posh and was off to uni rather than learning how to wire a house; a job that will never become redundant.

• Agree 2

nirvana

strangely they gave me a degree in doing sums and from a proper uni....

BUT I made the mistake of not doing prob and stats....or bollocks n bs as I thought it was then.....I could have gone on to be a quant and made a fortune out of BTC whilst telling other cnuts to keep enjoying their 'shitty fiat' :S

Moral of the story, you don't even need a flash degree, you just need to understand all the bollocks n BS around you......and feckin act on it.....despite what the knobs are saying to you >:(

Off to look at some tea leaves.....it's all in the tea leaves.....the tea leaves never lie :P

nirvana
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

Funny isn't it that with Brexit, which I 100% support

it was a fuck up for sure, purely on the grounds of trashing the £.......bring back 1.4€/£ :PissedOff:

2 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Funny isn't it that with Brexit, which I 100% support, all the graduates who thought they would be in top paying jobs are cooling their heels in minimum wage jobs whilst the demand for workmen, builders, electricians, plumbers, exceeds their supply.

Because everyone was too posh and was off to uni rather than learning how to wire a house; a job that will never become redundant.

I think it just goes to show how 'unfit for purpose'  parts of our post-18 education system is, and something the Auger review recently pointed out. Don't get me wrong, not all study has to be done/lead to a job, and there is a place for The Arts, but just because you mum thinks you sound just like Michael Buble it doesn't mean that a BA in Performing Arts is your guarantee to future stardom/wealth!

• Agree 1

What they don't teach is how to learn. Dive into this subject. Dive into that subject. To paraphrase our Janis, 'It's all the same fucking subject man.'

Once you can get to grips with the underlying reasons of why something acts the way it does, you're golden. Any details you're light on can be looked up or someone with more experience can explain.

There's going to be more openings for cross disciplines imo. One guy understands wood, another understands IT. Yet another understands servo motors. It's a special guy who can trouble shoot a cnc machine that makes wooden products as they have an understanding of all the disciplines.