• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
lid

The Strolling Bones

Up into 80s a band needed to be fairly current to go on tour, a recent original album not a medley of greatest hits. I think there was a 'chicken in a basket' circuit of 'nite klubs' for old Motown types, which sounds fairly grim

Edited by Panther

Isn't pop music meant to represent progression(or maybe even regression dressed up as progression, but change at any rate) and represent the youth of the given time a bit? (for good or ill)

Any possible contribution to music and/or representation of the times the Stones could make was made 40-50 years ago, they have nothing, nothing to say now. Just another bunch of self-obsessed selfish old cunts.

That said, very impressive resistance to all drugs/women/alcohol/time (the things that wear most of us down) on all their parts.

Edited by swissy_fit
coherence

11 hours ago, Uptherebels said:

I had tickets to see them in Bristol in about 1982. Ended up giving them away, as I thought they were too old. 

I thought that when they done Glastonbury a few of years ago but it was a good show .if i make it to their age i will be happy if i can do half of what they done, that night

On 9/11/2017 at 06:53, Uptherebels said:

I had tickets to see them in Bristol in about 1982. Ended up giving them away, as I thought they were too old. 

I don't care what anyone says, these artists should quit while they're ahead. They invariably sound disappointing now, versus had they retired at 40 and not toured again and retained their legendary status. Quit while you're ahead.

Speaking of which I just heard Rod Stewart's 'new' song. Why not just retire? When you're in your 70s it rarely works*.

*Clint Eastwood excepted.

46 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I don't care what anyone says, these artists should quit while they're ahead. They invariably sound disappointing now, versus had they retired at 40 and not toured again and retained their legendary status. Quit while you're ahead.

Speaking of which I just heard Rod Stewart's 'new' song. Why not just retire? When you're in your 70s it rarely works*.

Have you seen any of the Blondie set from Hyde Park on Sunday?? :(

While I agree everything has it's time, the main reason bands like the Stone are able to continue on is because of the absolute dross that pretends to be music these days. I remember 10 years ago when you had loads of groups reforming for live shows. The Police and Genesis did extremely well out of their short lived revivals. Whereas, The Spice Girls and All Saints reunions were complete disasters who's tours were cancelled early. Proper, well crafted music will last. Poor quality shite like the Spice girls have a short shelf life and is easily forgotten.

This is a recent (2013) peformance of one of my favourite Rush songs (and I can even play it on guitar, or could) but whilst they can still play sadly Geddy is really struggling with the vocals.  What can you do when you can't sing it anymore after playing it for nearly forty years?

I think the Rolling Stones might be silly now. Jazz and Blues players seem to go on until the grim reaper comes for them without looking silly, as long as they have the puff, and no arthritis.:o

4 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Indeed. As an example while dying of Aids was probably very unpleasant, Freddie said he was going to be a legend, and so he is(whether or not you liked his music), partly because he died at about age 40. What would he be now if still alive? An old Queen in every sense, trotting out "The Show must go On" on a zimmer frame? Nah, he'd have retired into seclusion or driven off a cliff or taken a drugs overdose.

4 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

This is a recent (2013) peformance of one of my favourite Rush songs (and I can even play it on guitar, or could) but whilst they can still play sadly Geddy is really struggling with the vocals.  What can you do when you can't sing it anymore after playing it for nearly forty years?

Well, I for one, am mightily impressed that you can play that! 

2 minutes ago, Uptherebels said:

Well, I for one, am mightily impressed that you can play that! 

Frank should be a musician and not a trucker. He can't even recognise the make of his truck.

4 hours ago, TheNoSnowMan said:

While I agree everything has it's time, the main reason bands like the Stone are able to continue on is because of the absolute dross that pretends to be music these days. I remember 10 years ago when you had loads of groups reforming for live shows. The Police and Genesis did extremely well out of their short lived revivals. Whereas, The Spice Girls and All Saints reunions were complete disasters who's tours were cancelled early. Proper, well crafted music will last. Poor quality shite like the Spice girls have a short shelf life and is easily forgotten.

It's a shame Sting became such an uber-wanker, because the Police were a great band and my dislike for him personally kind of seeps into my perception of the music.

I can understand that. I like Pink Floyd but it's tainted by Roger Waters being such an arrogant prick. Same with U2. Great band but Bonio is a pretentious arse.

Edited by TheNoSnowMan

5 hours ago, Frank Hovis said:

Change the key!

An old trick is to just tune the guitar a step out two lower. It brings all those high notes you just can't quite reach a little bit closer, but with all the same fingerings on the guitar and bass.

xD

1 minute ago, SpectrumFX said:

Change the key!

An old trick is to just tune the guitar a step out two lower. It brings all those high notes you just can't quite reach a little bit closer, but with all the same fingerings on the guitar and bass.

xD

I saw a really sad youtube of Meatloaf trying to do "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" 20-30 years later with some hot young girlie singer. A guy with a voice like that in his youth(whatever you think of his music he had a really strong voice), and he could barely hit a note, it was embarrassing.

4 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

Change the key!

xD

Tony Iommi? are you there. Can I have your old guitars, as they are the right way round for me?

The Stones were OK when they performed at Glastonbury but they had Mick Taylor and the late Bobby Keys in harness for that gig and that made a huge difference. The quality of the performance is just transformed when they take centre stage about 4 minutes into this version of Can't You Hear Me Knocking. It just proves some of the old fuckers have still got it

Taylor's guitar gave the Stones a completely different vibe

Edited by Virgil Caine