DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Cultured animal products…future of food?

SomersetMatt

SomersetMatt

Thought I’d start a discussion about this whole topic. Lots of start-ups in this arena, which could be very disruptive in the $trillion dollar food industry. Potential for meat, fish, leather, protein products all grown from animal cells. 

A couple of investment opportunities, already mentioned in other threads. Agronomics (ANIC) is a company investing in early-stage opportunities; Future of Food ETF (FOGB) is also backing companies in this area, although not directly. 

1) Do people think cultured products are the future?

2) Are there any obvious barriers? 

3) Would you eat cultured products and would you pay a premium?

4) Is the environmental benefit enough to overcome any taste deficit?

5) Will plant-based be bigger? 

• Agree 1

Popuplights

Two words. Soylent Green.

There is a massive trust barrier to overcome. 

• Agree 1

It definitely will be a growth industry. Not sure if it would convince vegans to eat lab grown meat. Presumably some animals would need to be killed to get the original cells. 

In terms of the taste deficit however I presume you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a lab grown burger/sausage. Recreating a lab grown, perfectly marbled rib-eye steak is another matter.

SomersetMatt
On 01/07/2021 at 07:55, Albo said:

Presumably some animals would need to be killed to get the original cells.

Can get cells from live animals. Other applications include: cultured sea food, cultured leather and cultured animal protein. 

Don’t think vegans are the target market. I think normal meat eaters will pay a premium for meat that doesn’t involve killing animals and has a better environmental impact.