• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
onlyme

Software Bods Question - Laravel.

I'm just about to start looking at it as I thought it looked promising - I bought a highly rated Udemy course on it - I like the way it seems to take care of the boring shite like registering and logging in ect...the stuff that I don't get why anyone should need to code any more.

It seems to be popular enough that I don't think it's going away any time soon which is always a fear with frameworks like this.

Thanks JD, I'm coming from ASP background - most of it long time ago, have done plenty of WP but at theme level and never had to lots of low level   PHP so I really don't wan to become a PHP expert or have to dig in the weeds to get basic functionality together. Comments I've seen is that it is pretty robust and can be used for enterprise dev, tricker to get started than code igniter which is pretty much one install. Will be messing with virtual box for first time in anger too as well as purchasing some core PHP application scripting to get going. Just don't want to get off on the wrong track.

59 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Thanks JD, I'm coming from ASP background - most of it long time ago, have done plenty of WP but at theme level and never had to lots of low level   PHP so I really don't wan to become a PHP expert or have to dig in the weeds to get basic functionality together. Comments I've seen is that it is pretty robust and can be used for enterprise dev, tricker to get started than code igniter which is pretty much one install. Will be messing with virtual box for first time in anger too as well as purchasing some core PHP application scripting to get going. Just don't want to get off on the wrong track.

It's a MVC framework I believe similar to Django for Python which is my weapon of choice. It's going to be a massive leap from editing a few lines of PHP in some WP templates to building an app from the ground up in Laravel. You'll need to become somewhat proficient in PHP. Still if you're coming from a ASP background doubt you'll have any trouble.

Just now, gibbon said:

It's a MVC framework I believe similar to Django for Python which is my weapon of choice. It's going to be a massive leap from editing a few lines of PHP in some WP templates to building an app from the ground up in Laravel. You'll need to become somewhat proficient in PHP. Still if you're coming from a ASP background doubt you'll have any trouble.

Yes, under no illusions that will need some PHP, just making sure I'm not going down a blind alley for any technical reasons. I'll pick it up but know will have to dedicate some time to it and also considering an online course though to be fair some of the free stuff out there is pretty damned good.

1 hour ago, onlyme said:

Yes, under no illusions that will need some PHP, just making sure I'm not going down a blind alley for any technical reasons. I'll pick it up but know will have to dedicate some time to it and also considering an online course though to be fair some of the free stuff out there is pretty damned good.

Here's the online course that I bought:

https://www.udemy.com/php-with-laravel-for-beginners-become-a-master-in-laravel

Lots of good reviews.

10 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Perfect! I will go for that at a tenner. Thx JD.

Cool - let me know how ya get on and what you think of it. At the very least it should teach you about the MVC model that is all over the place these days so it won't be a wasted effort.

2 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Thanks all, sounds positive, onwards then!

I'm gonna spend 1 to 2 hours every day in work from tomorrow going through that course. Been meaning to do so for a few weeks but this topic brought it back to mind. Hopefully if I commit to it here I won't be a lazy shite and flake on it!

28 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Is it worth learning in your opinion?

Yes definitely. How proficient are you in php? 

I find the template system really bloody annoying. The drawback is the same for a lot of these frameworks - trying to distinguish them from the rest. 

2 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

Yes definitely. How proficient are you in php? 

I find the template system really bloody annoying. The drawback is the same for a lot of these frameworks - trying to distinguish them from the rest. 

I know php reasonably well - built one major web app in it a couple of years back. Over 10 years experience in various other languages too so I don't think it will throw anything at me that is completely beyond me.

Do you have your own Laravel apps that you earn money from or are you managing them for other people? (Just being nosey)

1 hour ago, JoeDavola said:

I know php reasonably well - built one major web app in it a couple of years back. Over 10 years experience in various other languages too so I don't think it will throw anything at me that is completely beyond me.

Do you have your own Laravel apps that you earn money from or are you managing them for other people? (Just being nosey)

I run a web dev firm and outsource a lot of it to Russia and Ukraine. Mainly building for my own business. Also a lot of web scraping and data collection. 

In a few months I'm planning to ask if any Dosbodders want to beta test something in development at the minute partly in Laravel. I think it's a pretty decent, unique business idea but then I would say that O.o

5 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I run a web dev firm and outsource a lot of it to Russia and Ukraine. Mainly building for my own business. Also a lot of web scraping and data collection. 

In a few months I'm planning to ask if any Dosbodders want to beta test something in development at the minute partly in Laravel. I think it's a pretty decent, unique business idea but then I would say that O.o

Good on ya.

It sounds like your doing what I'd like to do on the side, build little web businesses to supplement my income from my developer day job. If I got my act together I could probably spare 4 hours a day most days in work to work on side projects. Best of luck with your new business!

I'm currently getting back into programming after a long break, and this thread just cause me to spend £50 at Udemy, bugger :P

I'm curious, does laravel make coding the database transactions simple? I ask because one of my hobbies that I haven't touched for 2 years is a browser based game, and the main reason I left it alone was due to hand coding all the PDO stuff. I had it all working, but realised it wasn't a secure as it should be so started going through all the querys changing them to PDO. I then got bored.

3 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Don't know much about it yet but looks like it might help with the PDO stuff, uses Eloquent for the database calls/handling and PDO.

Laravel 5's Key Security Features

http://www.easylaravelbook.com/blog/2015/07/22/laravel-key-security-features/

Thanks for that, I'll have a look into it.

I wish some of these productivity tools were around a few years ago. I just found bootstrap, which is great. I imagine there must be loads of stuff I don't know about to make life easier now.

I think I might just rebuild my game from scratch, as it might be simpler than changing things.