• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
onlyme

A civil servant has revealed that HS2 was a political vanity project

Politicians really are fucking toe rags.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/09/a-civil-servant-has-revealed-that-hs2-was-a-political-vanity-project/

For that, you can read: Gideon wanted HS2 very much against the advice of his officials. Osborne saw a high-speed railway as a way of increasing the Tories’ appeal in the North, while his officials saw it as a vanity project which would bring far less benefit than smaller-scale improvements. Osborne pushed HS2 because he wanted to be able to boast that Britain had the fastest railway in the world (in spite of its geography not justifying that).

HS2 is really designed around ministers’ lifestyles: it enables them to travel to the North to make an announcement, cut a ribbon or close a factory, and still be back at Westminster in time to vote and have a subsidised dinner. Meanwhile, the public transport which Londoners take for granted continues to be denied to the North.

Meanwhile, my city has to make do with diesel trains, a usurping on the northern powerhouse routemap by Newcastle and a (delayed again) 2025 footbridge over the main road between the north's main motorway (ok, for some reason it stops 20 miles short) and one of the UK's main ports, meaning the freight traffic has to stop every time someone wants to cross the road. 

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

There are no trains here since 1960. I want one.

You are not missing much, old crap rolling stock and pricing that is double the cost of driving (well raw petrol cost - but once you've bought a car you might as well run it).

The really needs a better public transport system to link up Hull/Newcastle across to Liverpool/Macnester. And all towns and cities inbetween.

Whats missing is:

- Improved signalling, rolling stock and electricfication,

- Something like an oyster card to encourage travel/allinone.

There are some congestion points across the Pennines.

Shows what as  clueless,useless cunt Gidiot is that electrification is being canned.

23 minutes ago, onlyme said:

You are not missing much, old crap rolling stock and pricing that is double the cost of driving (well raw petrol cost - but once you've bought a car you might as well run it).

Yup, once you have factored in the evil standing charges of motoring, you might as well drive it.:o Even a thirsty car beats the standard rail fare.

1 minute ago, Gloommonger said:

From Viz:

LONDON businessmen. Save the government billions of pounds building a high speed rail link to Birmingham by arranging your meetings in Birmingham 20 minutes later.

Many a wise word eh?:o

HS2 is really designed around ministers’ lifestyles: it enables them to travel to the North to make an announcement, cut a ribbon or close a factory, and still be back at Westminster in time to vote and have a subsidised dinner. Meanwhile, the public transport which Londoners take for granted continues to be denied to the North.

This.

They also cancelled the electrification of the main line to Swansea a few weeks ago.

Osborne is a cunt. I rarely use that word - must be my feminine side - but I will make an exception in his case. Cunt!

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

This.

They also cancelled the electrification of the main line to Swansea a few weeks ago.

Osborne is a cunt. I rarely use that word - must be my feminine side - but I will make an exception in his case. Cunt!

Re your quote, northerners need to be careful what they wish for.  Do they really want a transport system like London?  Overcrowded (and getting worse by the day), filthy and overpriced. Meanwhile, that twat Khan (my dad was a bus driver) is planning on charging for cars to drive ANYWHERE withinn the north and south circ.  oh, and if it's a few years old, forget it, you ain't driving nowhere. 

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Re your quote, northerners need to be careful what they wish for.  Do they really want a transport system like London?  Overcrowded (and getting worse by the day), filthy and overpriced. Meanwhile, that twat Khan (my dad was a bus driver) is planning on charging for cars to drive ANYWHERE withinn the north and south circ.  oh, and if it's a few years old, forget it, you ain't driving nowhere. 

Very true. I'm going to sound like Riedquat here. You want enough people so that life isn't a complete grind but want to stop short of becoming a concrete jungle. 

Guess it's just carry on as before, after regulating the banks / housing system away from rentierism. 

Pissing myself with this one, as usual government took in hook line and sinker with contractors promises.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/nov/17/hs2-carillion-profit-warning-debt-shares

Carillion is racing to refinance its business after issuing its third profit warning in five months and suffering a collapse in share price.

This explains a bit of what goes on behind the scenes

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Nevill_Green

Like how it says in the article, not to be confused with the other Philip Green.