Jump to content
DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

     

    DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

    Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

     

Life on Mars rewatch


Jonty Willis the Third
 Share

Recommended Posts

Jonty Willis the Third

Am currently watching Life on Mars repeats. Forgot how brilliant it was, especially all the discreet refs you didn't get the fist time. Too many to mention here, but the series is more nuanced than just Gene Hunt saying all the things I like to hear.

I think it is literally the last TV series that got through the door before the PC slammers came down in earnest.  

  • Agree 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

DTMark

It was great. Looking at the Wiki page just now..

Third series

In April 2020, creator Matthew Graham tweeted that a third series was in production. Set in Manchester and London, the series is initially planned to consist of four or five episodes

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Van Lady

I watched life on Mars and ashes to ashes for the first time a year or so ago. Thought they were both really good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
Theboltonfury
On 05/07/2021 at 03:38, Jonty Willis the Third said:

Am currently watching Life on Mars repeats. Forgot how brilliant it was, especially all the discreet refs you didn't get the fist time. Too many to mention here, but the series is more nuanced than just Gene Hunt saying all the things I like to hear.

I think it is literally the last TV series that got through the door before the PC slammers came down in earnest.  

I think Ashes has just has much, particularly in reference to homosexuals. No way either series would be made now. I liked them both a lot. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jonty Willis the Third
4 hours ago, Theboltonfury said:

I think Ashes has just has much, particularly in reference to homosexuals. No way either series would be made now. I liked them both a lot. 

It'll be interesting to see if the rumoured third instalment will retain the bite of LoM/Ashes to Ashes, or if it will be neutered by the BBC execs. That's if it actually ends up being made.

  • Agree 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don Coglione
2 hours ago, Jonty Willis the Third said:

It'll be interesting to see if the rumoured third instalment will retain the bite of LoM/Ashes to Ashes, or if it will be neutered by the BBC execs. That's if it actually ends up being made.

It'll be Jean Hunt, played by Jodie Whittaker, a post-op trans and partner of Cressida Dick, who drives a Tesla below the speed limit and heads up a super-crack BAME team of internet hurty-words investigators.

  • Agree 3
  • Lol 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Andersen

I was gutted last week - picked up a used but mint boxed set of the DVD's in a shop, carefully checked them all - no scratches, just as I went to pay I noticed it was dubbed in Dutch with english subtitles so put them back on the shelf :( 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

sleepwello'nights
2 minutes ago, Andersen said:

I was gutted last week - picked up a used but mint boxed set of the DVD's in a shop, carefully checked them all - no scratches, just as I went to pay I noticed it was dubbed in Dutch with english subtitles so put them back on the shelf :( 

I thought most DVD's had several languages on them depending on the region. All the ones I've got allow you to select the language you want to listen to when it starts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lightly Toasted

I had a love-hate relationship with these shows, the first series in particular. I liked the characters, theme and evocations of place and time, but frankly many of the plots were risible. That goes for a lot of British TV, I reckon a lot of it comes out of a BBC old boys person's club, where the competitive effort that US writing teams (and to be fair, some British teams) put into plotting is just not needed.

But I dunno, apparently a critic referred to LoM as "The Sweeney ... with better production values", maybe the naffness was intentional, a 1970s-themed joke that I didn't get?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...